Target

9,256 Reviews
3.1
9,256 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

113 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

These are really nice people!

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Target

Pros

Target offers flexible hours and the ability to pick-up extra hours of team members unable to work their shifts.
    Targets business model and managers show respect and value every employee.

Cons

Starting pay is $8.00 hour, which is not a family friendly wage. There are full time employees who do make a living here. I just haven't been here long enough to get there.

You need to to improve your business model to reduce employee turn-over by improving pay and increasing full time numbers.

Target has become a very stressful place to work at.

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-compensation is above average
    -10% off employee discount
    -competitive benefits package
    -volunteer opportunities

Cons

-work life balance is deteriorating - difficult for salaried managers to disconnect, even on days off
    -increased pressure from district-and-above leadership; becoming more and more about just meeting metrics, a lot of which can be manipulated

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Member in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount at store 10%. Great benefits.

Cons

I didn't really like the uniforms and having to ask for reds cards. I think people get annoyed.

Pay close attention and always represent the image of target.

PFresh

Former Employee - PFresh in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - PFresh in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Job. 40 hours. Great Team Leader

Cons

Work every weekend. Need More Employees

Executive Intern.

Former Employee - Executive Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Target as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Target provided a lot of training and developmental opportunities. The company culture is great, and everyone is friendly. If you are interested in retail, Target is a good place to be.

Cons

At times the workload was pretty large and sometimes there was not enough time to complete it. It may just have been my particular area, because other interns did not experience this. All in all, the company is very focused on teamwork therefore you have a lot of support from your team and other managers.

A sad truth

I have been working at Target

Pros

Great salary
    Strong annual bonuses
    Get every other weekend off which is rare in retail

Cons

-Work life balance has become almost obsolete at Target. STL's typically work in excess of 10 hours per day to get all tasks and leadership activities accomplished. There are constant interruptions on days off - examples include having to check email from home often because there is not enough time at work, additionally many emails require urgent action and follow up. Other examples include receiving text messages from your boss anytime the "big wigs" are in town visiting stores, taking conference calls from home because they were scheduled on your day off (even though you turned in your schedule a month prior). Additionally you are required to work all holidays and on Thanksgiving.
    -The stress level is getting extremely difficult to deal with. This company is known for their focus on metrics and results. Metrics and results come before people, it is sad but true. Results are highly valued and 100% determine how a store and its leaders are performing. So... if you deliver the desired results (even though this does not necessarily lead to positive sales gains or increases to profitability) you will be highly regarded and recognized. Those who do not achieve are made to feel like failures. Please understand that there are many, many, many metrics and you will be expected to deliver on ALL of them. The pressure is so high to perform well that many leaders turn to "alternative" tactics to achieve the desired results. Very unfortunate.
    -Upper management, district managers and above, have completely lost touch with reality. Their expectations are so bogus and utterly ridiculous that it is laughable. They have extremely high expectations but have no idea how to achieve them.
    -The workload is heavy with very few resources to accomplish the work load. Even with far fewer resources, expectations continue to rise. This leaves more work to the salaried managers (which is why many have to work from home, work extra hours or work on their day off to complete THEIR leadership tasks). Payroll continues to be cut and leadership positions continue to be combined or eliminated. A salaried manager today does the same job that two or three salaried managers did a few years ago.
    -Turnover at the ETL(assistant store manager) and STL (store manager) is atrocious.

Focus on the one thing that made Target an amazing place to work in the past - your people. The team does not feel valued, respected or inspired. Show us you appreciate us, show us you care that we sacrifice time with our families on nights, weekends and holidays. Show us that you care when we put in 70+ hours to get it all done, when we keep that smile and upbeat attitude on the outside even when we feel defeated and exhausted on the inside, show us you care about your amazing people and not just metrics, results and $$$. Your un-happy team is giving you everything - we are giving you our ALL and yet it is still not good enough.
    -Simplify, there is absolutely ZERO reason to make retail this complicated.
    -If you are going to combine leadership positions, start hiring people who are qualified to perform them.

Minimal work-life balance

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The leadership and management skills you learn while being at Target, far exceed what most employees learn in their first 5-10 of working. It exels and matures you in that department. The salary is enticing for a young worker straight out of college.

Cons

The work expected does not match the salary. The work-life balance is very minimal if you want to go above and beyond to promote.

d

Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Tomball, TX

I worked at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working for target.

Cons

Some of the managers at the store are a little intense.

ss

first job

Former Employee - Cashier in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Spring, TX

I worked at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire people without previous experience, great coworkers, and hours are okay. It was a good experience and gave me an opportunity to continue on to better jobs.

Cons

Only 10% discount -kind of ridiculous for such a large corporation-
    minimum wage and very low raises
    it is either extremely busy or extremely slow

Training should be more thorough, higher employee discount, and better raises for hard working responsible employees.

Team Member

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Atascocita, TX
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member in Atascocita, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff and great managers. Fun people to be around and Target really focuses on a person's education so if your going to school and need to work, target is for you. Flexible schedule. 10% discount for all employees.

Cons

Closing shifts means you'll be leaving at midnight all the time and later when seasonal rolls around. If you don't have a full time position hours are tend to get cut a lot at the end of the months. Fewer and fewer people are to close the store so more work load for each person. Pay raise are very small once a year. If you work on the floor be expected to spend half your time at the check out lanes helping out when it gets busy. If a cashier be expected to be able to get people to sign up for red cards for there will be a goal to meet each day and each week.

Have more people to work the floors so the work load isn't ridiculous on each individual.