Target

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
2.9

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

126 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Target is going through a series of changes some good and some bad.

Current Employee - Target Store Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Target Store Team Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is great, peers are amazing, district supervisors are always great people regardless of state you are working in. Benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Stores are running on bare bone payroll. You will be doing duties that in the past an hourly employee did for you (getting carts, straightening the store, cashiering a lot, working out merchandise. In the past, you had the option to jump in and help your team complete duties and act as a leader. Because there is no hourly payroll in stores now salaried management is doing everything. Don't mind helping out but my job is suffering and unfortunately I spend a lot of time at home completing duties that in the past I could have done at store.

Put hourly payroll back into stores. Management is very frustrated and we are leaving the company for others that have a better work life balance.

A fair place in a tough industry

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great medical benefits, pretty good salary, and a great team. Was lucky to work with a tight-knit team that was family-oriented and cared about each other. People knew and understood the challenging nature of the retail industry, and was willing to help each other out.

Cons

Retail is naturally a tough environment to work in, this is by no means any fault of the company. Expectations were always set far above what was realistic. Work-life balance is extremely difficult to maintain, as the long hours and rotating schedule make it nearly impossible to really live life outside of work. Promotion and movement as a TM into a leadership role is far more difficult than it should be, a lot of managers are inexperienced university grads with little or no retail experience, and struggle with the harsh challenges of the work environment.

Take the career interests of your employees more seriously, and make sure that people don't feel like pawns on a chessboard. Also, promote from within and foster pride within the company. Many team members are veterans who know the store inside and out, and have spent years getting passed over repeatedly for team leader positions that are being given to young college graduates with little or no experience in the field. Turnover in store leadership is extremely high, since most people don't want to spend more than 1-3 years in that position. Many team members become bitter, cynical, and have no pride in working for the company. If you want long-term success, give these guys a shot, and don't assume that a graduate with a diploma can lead a store to success short-term or long term. Build up an internal pipeline of talent with team members, and give more opportunities for them to move up, in their current store or elsewhere.

My favorite job

I worked at Target

Pros

The best things about Target is the advancement opportunities. They cross train you in every area, allowing you to build your skills in more than just one thing.

Cons

My only bad experience was there was a team lead who was very rude and let her position get to her head. No one wanted to work with her.

The whole "no rehire" policy should be able to be tossed out if the person was a really good asset to the company and the reason for quitting was something more than serious. There should be a second opportunity.

7 years within loss prevention

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyday is different. Strongly into development

Cons

Weekends and Mid day shifts

Target #2139

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited drinks and free food.

Cons

No one does thier job in management then put off thier responsibilities on everyone else

Do your job

They care about employees here

Current Employee - Cashier in Magnolia, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Magnolia, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The cashiering job is simple and they promote within . Friendly staff yes you have 30 min unpaid break just like most places also is two 15 min break but these are paid.

Cons

They threw me into my first shift but this is also good bc after training at orientation I have many questions but idk to ask them until they happen. I learned a lot by experience.

Target Seasonal

Current Employee - Target Team Member in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Target Team Member in Katy, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

work environment, co workers, hours, flexibility

Cons

Kept pushing you to sell Target red cards to everyone. Spent days trying to pursue this and everyone either had one or was very disinterested.

More friend less boss like.

Great company- poor advancement practices though

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Houston, TX

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Recognition
    Training and development

Cons

Long hours
    Work life balance
    Promotion highly depends on quality of district your store is in, no matter how good you are your stuck

Don't string employees along with just a constant promise of promotion. Reward your top performers

Stressful

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target

Pros

Everyone is friendly and it's a nice environment.

Cons

It's more than minimum wage but still not enough for what's expected.

Encourage don't criticize

Fun Team Energy

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Target (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with a diverse group of coworkers and could easily get shifts covered if needed

Cons

Some management wouldnt take time to train on bigger tasks would kind of get the run around

Dont be afraid to train hardworking employees who are eager to learn more! Doesnt mean were going to take your job.