Target Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

Decent job

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a great structure that allows for relatively quick upward mobility. The vacation time is great as well.

Cons

As in any retail management position the job is never done. The expectations are continually raised with little to no support for the increased goal. While this builds increasingly effective managers it does strain the work life balance of those managers.

Advice to Management

While you may be able to cut costs by combining ETL roles and lowering the number of team leaders, the retention of the executive team seems to be decreasing steadily.

Good company to gain some relative job experience , not a long term job for me

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment, thoughtful leadership initiatives, good culture. I worked at 2 different stores. One was definitely better than another which shows the variation you can get

Cons

Retail is hard no matter where you go. Payroll was always being cut. We constantly had to figure out how to do more with less which was very frustrating

Advice to Management

Quit taking resources away to save money. Focus on efficiencies and overcoming challenges that stores had

Target Review

Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member in Tomball, TX

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team and responsible team leaders who try to keep everything as fair and honest as possible for all employees and customers.

Cons

Schedules can change every week so it makes it hard to plan short term without taking time off because work hours can change often.

Advice to Management

Stay fair and be straightforward with employees and customers and properly regulate the AC to accomidate to actual weather since having the heater turned on when it is 85 degrees outside is uncomfortable.

5. electronics sales floor

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Rosenberg, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Rosenberg, TX

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, easy to transition depts, and friendly work environment.

Cons

Not enough store sales leads to drop in hrs and pay.

Advice to Management

Stop changing managers so often.

6. If You Must, Please Don

Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Planning in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Planning in Houston, TX

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Move quickly through new ideas

Cons

Severely unorganized; promotes and rewards bad behavior and unethical work practices; severe group think environment; love to change the compensation structure after they offer position

7. lets go work

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good customer and employees management is very nice to you and pleasant

Cons

not enough hours management blames you for customer mess ups

Advice to Management

Good management need more hours available

8. Hardlines

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team leads and awesome team members to work with.

Cons

Cut a lot of hours of they need to.

Advice to Management

More hardline team members on the weekends

9. Good job but the people are the problem.

Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The attitude towards taking care of the customers is great. They really want to make everyone's experience excellent. The benefits are really good. There are quite a few people that came here specifically for the benefits.

Cons

In Terms of performing daily tasks the constant back up to the check lanes is ridiculous. Scheduling one cashier and expecting golden results is the definition of crazy. The leaders seem to have obsessions over things that quite frankly have very little to do with keeping up the store and making sure the brand is maintained. Spending all day going on and on about how many credit cards people signed up for isn't going to find items or help ring up purchases. The lack of promotion from within is nonsense as well. I think that hiring someone that has no experience with Target or retail just because they have a degree in something is a good way to ruin the business. When people like that come in without a clue how things work the entire system bogs down and production suffers. I have to reiterate some points others have made about rolling out new processes and technology. It seems that target has issues with thinking things through and properly developing new processes before they send them out to stores. When we got our new pda devices last year they couldn't even do half of what the old ones could and besides that every other day they wouldn't work at all.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Give people who know what's going on a chance to keep the places running like they should. Hire leaders that can do what needs to be done. When someone doesn't show up for a scheduled shift three times in one week termination should be the consequence. I think there is far too much slack being given to people who show no interest in working. I think that when a person underperforms it should be addressed quickly, not weeks later when no-one can recall the circumstances in which it occurred. There needs to be quite a bit more accountability. When I started with the company in 2007, if I didn't get a task done I got called into the ETL's office and had to explain why. Over the last few years that has vanished entirely. Now when someone doesn't do something the only time they hear about it is during their review, ONCE A YEAR. I don't understand how a business can be operated like that. If your employees don't show up, the work doesn't get done. It's that simple.

10. Good Job

Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Target

Pros

The people I work with are really cool. I really like the enviorment because I work in a nice place where every one really like their jobs its better than Walmart for sure.

Cons

Some of the down sides of target are the scheduling. I can't speak for all of them but in my locations they have them all mixed up. I wish they had a better scheduling tactic.

Advice to Management

Better Scheduling.

Cool Place to work as a college/highschool student

Current Employee - Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. There's is a real sense of TEAMWORK. Everyone has to put their share to prove our guests with great customer service. They are very flexible with schedules. Lots of cross training

Cons

Stress from not enough people scheduled sometimes.
    Late nights when the store is a mess.Limited advancement without a degree. No matter how many years you put in and whatever experience you have you're always limited

Advice to Management

When the store is busy, don't expect to have the salesfloor perfectly zoned. Schedule a few more people to work the really busy days instead of being short and behind on work.

Showing 149 of 12,114 reviews