Target

www.target.com

Target Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"(in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters(in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations(in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions(in 652 reviews)

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work Experience

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDefinitely recommend this place as a starter job. Everyone is friendly all they care about is the guest and trying to makes them feel comfortable. They have little recognitions meetings.

ConsIt was seasonal, so everything had to be fast pace. The slower workers would get called out if they were doing there job slow.

Love It

Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI have being getting really good hours, after I was hired they were really flexible with my schedule and I love the people that work there as well as the environment as a whole, they have little special events in the break room every so often

ConsYou have to request days off two weeks in advance, and the pay is not what I expected but ok,

Working at Target.

Senior Target Protection Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSchedule is extremely flexible for full time students.

ConsExtremely low pay. Promoting to a higher position comes with a lot more responsibility, and hardly the pay to show for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring teenagers straight out of high school.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Use to be a company you would want to work for....

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe only thing I can say Target is you can get the experience is lot of companies do not offer. I've gain so much hands on leadership skills in merchandising, presentation, replenishment, and guest service. If you take advantage of all Target's knowledge you will come out gaining not losing.

ConsTarget is not the same as it was 3 years ago. Target lost so much money with the credit card breach and the investment in Canada last year. So now Target is taking a route that wants and expects so much from you that you can't breathe anymore. Very pressured and hostile environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook I've been in management for Target for 9 yrs the leadership before took pride and ownership in their work even if their work wasn't executed properly. But now management is so cut throat they will throw their own mom under the bus just to take one step forward. They play the blame game and he said she said game have no integrity whatsoever very sad how adults can act like children.

Target is great place to be.

Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDepending on location, Target is great because they offer an all inclusive culture. They pay is good at the team leader level, and there is always opportunity for growth and development. I have been able to balance going to school full-time, due to Target's flexible scheduling.

ConsIf you do not have a degree or are not in school, promoting within Target is very difficult. In addition, there is a lot of work politics amongst the management level, so staying neutral is advised!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only changes that Target needs to make is at a head quarters level. There are people who are hired straight out of college that do not know how a store should operate.

It has its ups and downs.

Electronics Team Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWhen you have the right management, working at Target eases off the stress, and makes working at Target manageable. My managers are flexible with my schedule, and understanding when I need a certain day off. I love the guest interactions and different types of people I am able to help out on a day to day basis. Hard work and leadership will help you get noticed and promoted. It also helps with your yearly raise.

ConsSometimes when you are the backbone of a department, its sucks that you have to work certain days at certain times like holidays, overnights, and early mornings. When you have new management, the morale of the department or store start to go in a downward spiral. Its hard for new management to earn their trust with their new team. If you have a bad first impression, at times, it can be a lasting impression. Working with lazy people creates a ripple effect, and cause others to work harder. Pay raise can be a con for the new members because sometimes you don't get much.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a give and take world. You give to your peoples, you will reap the benefits of the rewards. Its like karma, What comes around goes around. Respect and be respected. Hire quality people. Quality over quantity. Sometimes paying one good quality team member that works hard, is better wasting your money on two mediocre people. A store struggling in payroll, struggles in the getting the store up to par.

Great first job!

Food Service Team Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe company and management genially care about you. There's also a lot of room to advance

ConsCorporate is giving us less hours to work now because of the target fraud that happened, when we are still making the same sales we made during Christmas time, i don't think its fair

Lasted four months

Cashier (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCool, diverse co-workers (among the ones I actually know; very hard to meet new people and socialize if you're a cashier), 10% employee discount (w/ RedCard), open-minded to all people of different ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations, relatively casual work attire.

ConsTerrible pay, no benefits, bad training, difficult to schedule and get time-off when needed, flat out lied to during interview on position (was told it was a cashier and guest service position, would be cross-trained, so far only cashier), all but given a script on what to say to customers despite the fact that my transactions are timed, little to no recognition for an honest-to-god work well done, treated like cattle and a four year old, humiliated several times in front of customers over RedCard conversion, disgruntled customers as well as staff, clear division between upper management, STLs, and pee-ons. LOD mailed paychecks that I still haven't received after weeks of badgering her. Crap scheduling allowing little to no opportunity of a social life with four hours here and there across the board, but no set schedule. Oh, and they gave me an old employee's name tag with a misspelled version of my first name, and that was after I asked for one after three straight months. Seriously, I'm glad i'm leaving this company before it takes away years and years of my life. There are better jobs out there, even part-time minimum wage. Trust me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay above the poverty level, stop placing the focus on RedCards that customer's don't want or trust, listen to your employees needs and wishes.

Not for everyone

Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people and coworkers. Clean atmosphere,

ConsNot enough hours to get the job completed. Expectations are unrealistic. Guest expect too much and take advantage of pricing mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic when giving hours to the stores. Hours are not enough for the expectations that are set. There are analyst giving hours to stores from corporate who have never worked in a store before. Spend some time in the stores on weekends.

Overall, an ok company to work for if you are just starting out, or need extra income.

Protection Specialist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood starting point for anyone that wants experience in Security/loss prevention. Uniforms, equipment, and training is provided. 20% employee discount if you get a Target Red debit card (15% without Red Debit Card). As a Protection Specialist (TPS), you never work on the register, you do not have to contribute to sales like everyone else. You are under very little supervision. Most stores close by 10pm-11pm. At my store I would leave 30 minutes before closing, and came in around 10am-12am. You will patrol the sale floor, employee areas, and parking lots. It worked well with school. Occasionally you will interact with law enforcement, which is a great way to develop contacts for a future career in Law Enforcement. You will write at least 1-3 reports per shift,, and they must be submitted within 24-48 hours from the incident. Occasionally you might report a case that will be brought to court, be prepared, and hope that you wrote a strong, clear, and factual report. If you are interested in working in law enforcement, than this jobs would be a good starting point for someone who is 18-21 years old. In my time as a TPS, I had three co-workers get hired on at local PD's.

ConsAs a TPS you are expected to focus largely on customer service. I spent the majority of my time standing post at the main entrance of the store greeting guests and handing out shopping carts. I was also expected to keep the front of the store clean by vacuuming and picking up trash. Unfortunately, this strong focus on customer service prevented me and other TPS's from focusing on preventing and investigating theft. Because of this, our work greatly suffered, which drew unwanted attention from our ETL and district manager. This was frustrating because it was our ETL the prevented us from doing our job. Our ETL was a micromanager in the strictest sense. Regular duties performed by TPS were usually done by her. We essentially became over glorified door greeters. I at the time had over 4 years experience in private security, and my partner had been with target for over 4 years, and was a Marine with 4 years of active-duty service. Both of us were overlooked for any and all promotions. Most of your time is spent standing post at the front and watching customers, and occasionally monitoring CCTV. The job can be exciting at times, especially when you catch someone concealing merchandise or ripping an item off of a locking peg hook. The job can also be dangerous as well. You wear a police style uniform, complete with a badge, boots, and an equipment belt. Many time both good and bad people occasionally thought I was a police officer, which would create certain problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs a better understanding of how TPS should be utilized. While customer service is important in this position, it needs to be properly balanced with the loss prevention responsibility in order for us to be successful.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!