Target Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

Unrealistic expectations for leadership

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started working for the company, they offered great benefits for part-time employees and I was able to work my way up quickly through the ranks and pay for my education. They really cared about the development and retention of it's employees, helping customers and being a national brand.

Cons

The last few years have really been unsteady for those who have been with the company for a number of years. Part-time employees no longer have benefits, hours are cut significantly to where most employees have multiple jobs, and are still expected to provide the same quality of service as before. Political games are being played constantly with a top and bottom performer for every leader. Even if you are the best at what you do, you still fall under the chopping block. There is no more incentive for employee loyalty. High turnover and corporate layoffs. There is also an unclear direction as to where the new CEO is leading the company.

Advice to Management

Target has been constantly chasing technological advances and launching new programs before they are currently tested and fully supported. They need to thoroughly look into what they are investing money in before rolling them out to the store level where the more recent programs have done nothing but add frustration, negativity, and less resources to stores that really need payroll and incentives to keep great employees with the company and to be able to share great experiences to keep customers coming back.

2. Great company!

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in San Dimas, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in San Dimas, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience, you get to lead a business, and overall great opportunities!

Cons

Worked a lot of 10-15 hour days, weekends, and holidays so that was tough on me, but you get every other weekend off!

3. Great position; gets mundane after a while

Former Employee - STL in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - STL in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incentive pay is good when numbers are good for the store and company. Leadership always took good care of me. Headquarters takes care of most menial admin tasks, so you don't have to. Typically got stock incentive. Company had capital to invest in tech for stores. They are operationally at the top.

Cons

It's a productivity drill - zone the store, push the freight, do it faster. I couldn't do it for more than the 4 years I was there. Also, don't expect to implement any change. Store teams just execute there; and that works for the business.

Advice to Management

You lost a ton of solid STLs after crushing them on incentive pay for two consecutive years. It's one of the reasons I took the phone call from a recruiter and quit despite starting DTL interviews.

5. Great company to begin your career right from college

Former Employee - Engineering & Facilities Group Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering & Facilities Group Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target’s culture at the distribution center is great. The company enhances diversity and inclusiveness. Best place I’ve ever worked that, as a minority, never felt like a minority and felt like my opinions were just as valued as anyone else’s. Target encourages teamwork and taking partners. Training for new managers is abundant.

Cons

Competition for promotion is intense. In the beginning you are told that career upward mobility is always available but you soon find out (once your honeymoon is over) that about 30 or so Group Leaders are vying for one Senior Group Leader role that may or may not be open in the near future. So that makes Target Distribution Center a good place to gain experience and move on to other companies.

Advice to Management

Do something about the high turnover of Group Leaders

6. need a job

Former Employee - Target Cashier in Pacoima, CA
    Former Employee - Target Cashier in Pacoima, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i find the target staffing grate. having an exprience would be good.

Cons

i wouldn't like top have any problems with any of the staffing.

Advice to Management

try to be more comunitive

7. Worked at Target

Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member&Cashier in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member&Cashier in Brea, CA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was a fun & fast environment.

Cons

Nothing really bad about working there.

8. Pharmacist

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target

Pros

Low stress working environment. Ok support staff

Cons

Too much micromanagement and top down oversight

Advice to Management

Upgrade computer system. Reduce all the overlapping policy

9. Sales floor TM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and nice people

Cons

Team members are not robots !

Advice to Management

be fair

Probably better for seasonal or not cashiering

Former Employee - Cashier in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You do form somewhat of a team (management not included) Work well with schedules for college students/part-time employees My store did little nice treats in the break room once a month and safety milestone parties

Cons

Management can be very toxic especially when it comes to selling RedCards Selling the store card and having quotas every shift There can be very unreasonable customers as in any retail enviornment A LOT of crying/screaming kids throughout the day Supervisors can be hard to track down to assist you and you're left with a pissed off customer Management let's slackers move up and around the store while if you're good at your job they give you no opportunities to advance

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the efforts your employees make rather than making it seem like they do nothing. All of my coworkers (cashiers) hate the way they're treated and it's the main reason I left.

11. Certified Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in La Verne, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in La Verne, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, somewhat competitive pay, friendly environment, employee discount, occasional team member events

Cons

When a less-than motivated team member is being lazy, someone has to pick up the slack. Yup. It's probably going to be you. Also, approaching management/HR about problems can be intimidating.

Advice to Management

Be open to listening to your employees.

Showing 469 of 12,669 reviews