Target Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

VP assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Team in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Team in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Target pay for executive and administrative assistants is outstanding. However because most companies don't seem to want to pay their assistants It has made it difficult however to find a comparable paying role with a new company since the layoff

Cons

They went to a multisupport model. They have a dotted line reporting structure among the admins. You find yourself not only reporting to your boss but to the next level admin as well. This is not the norm with other orgs.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive, patient, and understanding of your admins with this new support model. Make sure your teams are empowered to be a bit more independent. Get rid of the next level admin dotted line structure.

2. Moving in the right direction

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Target's corporate office for 3 years. I have a lot of positive things to say but they're hard to put on 'paper'. The culture of inclusivity and networking resonated with me. For the most part, I felt empowered to drive the business forward and take risks where appropriate.

Cons

As with a lot of big companies, often times Target does something because 'that's the way we've always done it', which is frustrating and unhelpful. Hopefully recent layoffs and restructuring will help drive innovation.

Sometimes managers are assigned management roles because they need experience in that area, not because they want it. This caused a lot of trouble for me early in my career. I had a manager who didn't want to be one and it was obvious.

Internal promotions are easy and often, however, if you want to jump pyramids then you may as well leave. Getting supported to move to a different area within the company is harder than getting a new job elsewhere. You have to get manager approval, then network, then mock interview, then wait for a position to be open and maybe, if you're lucky, interview and get it. In my experience, the process takes months.

From a digital perspective, the technology is lightyears behind. Ever heard someone say they hate Target.com? That's why.

Advice to Management

Keep driving digital! Managers who are failing to adjust should get the boot. It's not enough for leadership to drive the bus, everyone has to be onboard or the message is disjointed.

3. Sr. Art Director

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and there's an opportunity to grow or move around.

Cons

Few working managers, very silo'ed and restricted within the job description, will not be empowered to go beyond titles.

Advice to Management

Empower and give the power to your management to make decisions.

5. Store Team Leader

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

Working with people, managing talent, empowerment to make business decisions!

Cons

Heavy workload, retail schedule, at times the pace is very fast which is good a challenging

Advice to Management

None to give. It's a really great job and Target is s great company with amazing people!

Senior Merchandise Planning Business Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Merchandise Planning Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance
    great benefits (401k match)
    opportunity for stretch projects and direct accountability to financial metrics
    development-focused managers

Cons

bureaucracy and lots of red tape - they're working on this but it is still prevalent.
    favoritism by managers and directors - if you switch teams and get a new manager, you will not be favored above others who have been in your same position for the same amount of time but have been on that specific team longer.
    young and fun culture, but still a little too PC for my liking.

Advice to Management

stop getting caught up in process. if someone has a good idea let them run with it. do what's best for the business and not what will make you look better to upper management.

7. Sr Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target

Pros

Many educational opportunies internally at Target

Cons

Many layers and very broad can make it difficult to get things done.

8. Great Company

Former Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Target HQ for 15 years, always on challenging projects and with top notch people. The only reason I left Target is because of the Target Canada shut down, which I believe was the right business decision and have only positive comments about my career at Target.

Cons

Target grew significantly while I was an employee. The only negative about my experience is the culture shift within senior leadership. I initially felt valued by all levels of leadership, many of whom knew all employees by name. As the organization grew, the small company feeling went away and I personally missed that culture.

Advice to Management

Take time to get to know your employees, at all levels.

9. Executive Team Lead-Pharmacy (Pharmacy Manager)

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For pharmacists, Target treated you better than most other retail companies. They give you a half hour lunch and they give enough technician payroll hours. The immunization and MTM goals are appropriate.

Cons

Culture has been changing in the last few years.

Advice to Management

Target used to always take care of its employees and appreciate them. It's changed in the last few years.

10. Great development, not long term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of developing people to their maximum potential
    Is awesome. Right now during layoffs, this hasn't been as much of a focus but I'm pretty sure it will
    Come back.

Cons

The culture is so unique that it puts you out of touch with what the rest of the world is doing. Although I felt I could really grow at Target, I not confident I could elsewhere since all I know is how target is and that it's not like other places.

Advice to Management

Keep the development, stop using unique target lingo that doesn't make sense elsewhere.

Current Target feel

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

People, pay isn't too bad. Decent work/life balance

Cons

Current stress of future pending layoffs

Advice to Management

Allow employees to be heard, no matter how they deliver the message. My current group manager shuts down any inquiries that question her actions.

Showing 977 of 12,156 reviews