Target

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
3.5

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

915 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great experience for an out of college graduate

Former Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Sourcing Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible Work/Life balance
    - Good starting wage
    - 10% discount

Cons

- Network Heavy to be promoted

Focus more on employees qualifications and results instead of how long someone has been on "the list" to become promoted.

Great culture, team environment, nice headquarters, and great place to begin a career

Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice to be hired on as a specialist without corporate internship experience. As an hourly employee, you likely never work over 40 hours per week so there is a nice work-life balance. I learned so many skills in my role here and developed professionally in my time at Target.

Cons

In a specialist role, you feel forgotten at times because you weren't brought on from college as an analyst, which is what most are primed to do from their internship programs. They work more, but they're developed much more and have much more focus on them. I often felt like I wanted to take on more, be more challenged, have my managers develop me more, but if you are below an analyst level, you should expect a couple years before that promotion and attention.

Great company culture

Former Intern - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as an intern

Pros

1. Strong enterprise culture, very interactive and instructive

2. Abundant corporate resources

3. Well organized organizational structure

4. New leadership brings new energy (Onmi-channel strategy and digitized retailing)

Cons

1. Need to shift more focus on the high performers in the company, not only those "people people". I know Target highly value those employees who are strong communicator, but many diligent hardworking employees should have more chances to get in the spotlight.

2. Be innovative and open-minded. The exit from Canada was a heartbreaking news. Company needs to redefine their strategic road-map for internationalization as well as its online retailing.

3. Be flexible, sometimes the management is too stick to the corporate policy rather than making changes based on real scenarios.

Great company - need to fit into the company culture in order to succeed. Pay is solid and great work life balance

Current Intern - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Intern - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and a great challenge. Target demands the most of you from an executional standpoint and strategic standpoint

Cons

Hours can be long when you are just beginning work. Things get better as you continue to get comfortable in your role

Continue to have high expectations from all team members and push to get the most out of each individual. Great company overall!

Great place to work, depending upon your team

Current Employee - IT Engineering in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Engineering in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

Love the team I'm on. Great people and talent around me. Work life balance is great (this is area dependent). Variety of work.

Cons

Too many layers of management. Confusing and constantly changing business processes that are usually not very well documented. Working with Target India is a nightmare. People who are more outgoing will always get promoted ahead of those who are more talented, but more introverted.

It was a friendly and fun environment, the customers are pretty nice also

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can learn a bunch of different skills by working on the sales floor, cashier, selling credit cards, food service internships and promotions that can help you in your future job.

Cons

Sometimes hours can go up and down, this job I just a stepping stone for the future.

Some of the cashier managers need to be more professional as far as their behavior in front of employees and customers,

Target: Fantastic Culture, but tough workload and questionable immediate outlook

Former Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target

Pros

fast-paced, innovative environment; highly focused on career and personal development; fast-fun-friendly culture; great team to work with

Cons

layoffs did not consider individual performance; business was flexible about hours, but workload was consistently a challenge; many layers of approval in order to get anything done; very interested to see the changes that new CEO will make, and whether or not it will help the business accelerate into the multi-channel space

A great launch pad

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very strategic and process oriented organization. The bar for performance is high and you are surrounded by smart and talented team members. Also cool perks like amazing collaborative work spaces, access to workout classes and occasional performances from top artists.

Cons

Very hierarchical and political. Several layers of approval which slows things down. You are expected to fit the Target mold and those who are loudest or most vocal are rewarded even if they aren't the most talent. An environment that is hard for introverts to be successful in.

Let your hair down and be real -- the perfectionism act must be tiring.

Fun people to work with, good work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome work life balance, ability to work from home when necessary. Fun people to work with, many teams have good bonds and like to do things like happy hour outside of work. Pay is very good. Benefits are average.

Cons

Red tape! It takes forever to get anything done because of all the red tape and approvals needed. Working with technical teams is especially challenging. More and more IT work is being moved offshore and it takes forever to accomplish things that used to be quick fixes in the past.

Bring IT resources back on shore and allow them to be more nimble to resolve issues or make simple system config changes.

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-> Great work life balance
    -> Lots of challenging project work
    -> Plenty of influential opportunities for young professionals

Cons

-> Pay is below the going rate
    -> The leadership team is confused about the direction of the company
    -> Promotions are time based, not performance based. This allows for dumb people to still get promoted

Be more transparent
    Fire the freeloaders
    Set a strategic direction and eliminate the process oriented politics