Target Reviews in Minnesota

8,231 Reviews
3.1
8,231 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

801 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Savage, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Savage, MN

I worked at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

no cons yet, just started

Lots of business responsibility early in your career and many great leadership opportunities

Current Employee - Merchandise Planning Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandise Planning Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a good work-life balance and the pay is actually pretty good. The people you work with are awesome and the company has a great culture. If you put in the time and take initiative, you can be very successful.

Cons

It's the same stuff as any big company but the bureaucracy and politics can get tiring. The problem is that the experience is dramatically different in each area of the company depending on who the leader is.

Loosen some of the restrictions and rules in place and let each SVP own their pyramid.

Target HQ Employee

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to gain a lot of broad experience with many sections of the company
    Access to great resources in your work - mobile tools, subject matter experts, quality vendors, additional education
    Hard working and honest co-workers

Cons

Work life balance- if your accessible digitally in some format, many co-workers expect you to respond or reply at any time
    Career advancement- you gain opportunity's only to the level that your leadership allows or provides for you
    Management- some groups have great, engaging leaders. Other groups really need to clean house.

Become better at aligning your teams to the business needs that support your 1-3 year objectives. Too many groups and departments are built around business models from 2000. This creates a barrier to adapting fast to market needs as well as underutilizing your current team member resources.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn a lot and gain a lot of experience that will make it easier for you to go through another interview for a new job.

Cons

You will encounter rude guests.

Great Company! Not enough demographic diversity

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as an intern

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Great mentorship program
    - A ton of feedback
    - Fast career advancement

Cons

- Only corporate office is in MN
    - Big company feel
    - Passive aggression
    - Everyone is from the midwest

Great Job!

Great company culture, but I personally did not like the role.

Former Employee - MP Business Analyst Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - MP Business Analyst Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, opportunities for advancement, work-life balance (Depending on the role), Feedback culture

Cons

The HQ has a tendency to be passive-agressive.

Could be way worse

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment with good supervisors who push you for your best work. Flexible schedule. A lot of hours available. Easy to take time off or request a leave of absence.

Cons

No advancement and very hard to cross train to other areas of the store. Wage starts out at minimum, and only have had an 18¢ raise in over a year of working with Target. Huge push for getting people to sign up for red cards; even if it means conning people into it... You are also told to get one red card every 4 hours, and can get fired for not getting enough. Focus should be more on guest happiness and less on selling them a credit or debit card.

Good experience working with the IT team

Former Employee - Deployment Coordinator, SAP Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Deployment Coordinator, SAP Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very good corporate environment, good opportunities for growth. IT teams are spread across groups so good job opportunities.
    Job style is not hectic outside of normal work hours. Even during work hours, it was a very flexible, fun filled challenging environment.

Cons

Many IT teams with no easy integration leading to across the wall ownership issues.
    Not many experts in SAP from in house which is not good for scale of investment

A very cultish environment, great for some, but not for everyone.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great macro culture - a fun environment in a fun industry
    Above avg. Pay if above the entry level positions
    Nice facilities
    Good work/life balance
    Jeans

Cons

A very bizarre micro culture. No one cares about your output, but rather you will constantly be nit picked and criticized about HOW you do things, all of which are gray areas. In other words, you could save the company $100M, but rather than praised you'll be told you didn't include enough other opinions, or you didn't get the janitors feedback first, etc. there is zero diversity of thought, there is 1 way to do things, the Target Way.

The collaboration culture you will hear about simply means a slow, bureaucratic culture wherein you must show all of your work, even routine emails, to just about everyone on your team before you can proceed.

Despite good review scores, my management told me they would not support me for another role in the company. When I would ask why, I would never get an answer. Which brings me to my next con, the MN nice/passive aggressiveness that runs rampant. If you have a logical black/white brain, you will struggle here. You will never get deadlines, or objectivity of any sort. People are intentionally gray and they never rock the boat.

And lastly, face time. My team was told numerous times that we had to be in our desks more. No core hours, no flexibility, no business reason for needing to be in our seats, just a rule for rule's sake.

Continue to push more work flexibility with managers, and add more objectivity to goals and the career process. By far the most fluffy culture I've ever seen, people just network all day and nothing gets done.

Great first job, but hard to stay longer than a couple of years

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Networking opportunities are out of this world. If you tell someone that you'd like to speak with someone with specific experience or in a specific area of the company, they'll make it happen and it's not a big deal.
    - The company culture is pretty fantastic. I mean, I got to meet Joe Mauer at work. I could take half days to go on pedal pubs with my coworkers. I was blessed with an incredible team that I actually loved spending time with, so that certainly helped matters, but it's definitely a fun place to work.
    - Unlimited sick days. I barely used any during my time there, but the fact that I didn't have to eat up vacation days when I was sick was incredible. I didn't realize how rare this was until I spoke to friends at other companies.
    - Support for entry-level employees is pretty amazing. You're set up with a mentor on your first day, and they'll hold your hand for a ridiculously long time if you need it. You're given lots of feedback at the beginning (which you need at that time) and you honestly have to try to fail.

Cons

- Promotions. They give everyone a basic timeline as to when they should move on to their next position, but it's based on timing, not skill. It's so demoralizing to workers to watch people who suck at their job get promoted while you're spinning your wheels in the same position.
    - Incompetent employees are everywhere. It seems like so much is needed to get rid of someone who is awful at their job and creates additional workload for their coworkers. Again, super frustrating to workers.
    - Benefits are dwindling. When I started, they lured a lot of people in with the promise of paying for your MBA. Less than 6 months after I started, they took that benefit away and wouldn't grandfather anyone in. They'll still pay for your MBA, but only a certain amount each semester, so if you want them to pay for all of it, it'll take you 8 years. I understand that situations and benefits change, but to not grandfather people in to that benefit was mind-boggling to me.
    - Feedback for the sake of feedback. It's so frustrating when people are just searching for things to bring up as an issue when they're really not a big deal. No one is perfect, but sometimes people are doing a good job and you can just leave it at that.
    - Too many cooks in the kitchen. Give people responsibility and leave it alone. Helicopter managers make things so much worse.

- Improve benefits.
    - Take more risks. Get rid of the groupthink mentality and give people the chance to shake things up a bit.
    - For the love of all that is holy, improve the technological aspect of the company.
    - Don't have 5 people doing the same tasks. Be more efficient.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!