Target

9,679 Reviews
3.1
9,679 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Generally fun and great co-workers.

I have been working at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The number one best thing about working at Target is the amazing employees. Everyone is very helpful and you are never made to feel stupid for asking questions. 95% of the employees at my store are friendly and willing to help and are a lot of fun, and this is why I like my job so much more. The hours during the holiday season are crazy, and while this can be a con, the pay was great (we were offered pay incentives for working certain busy days). For the most part, the management (ETL's, STL's, and TL's) is nice and helpful. Shortly after being hired and trained for hardlines, I was placed in softlines and I love it.

Cons

When January comes, hours dropped drastically. I went from 27 hours one week to 13 the next. You are expected to back-up casheir so often I feel they never have enough cashiers, and sometimes they don't even need the backup but call for it anyway.

My only advice to management is to try and connect better with the sales floor team members. For the most part this hasn't been a problem, but a few times an LOD has reprimanded someone for slacking when the work load is just larger than that person expected. In other words, ask team members how their zone is going instead of telling them.

target is a great company with family values. wonderful place to work.

I have been working at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Target is a friendly, laid back company that puts their guests first. They are a recommended company to work for and a great first job. They have flexible work schedules and more than willing to work around school and special circumstances.

Cons

Not much to say as far as cons go. Target is a well rounded company.

Typically retail store experience.

Former Employee - Team Lead Level III in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Team Lead Level III in Carson City, NV

I worked at Target full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was promoted from a level 2 to 3 relatively quickly.

Cons

Many of the employees I had in my department were younger and had a high turnover rate.

Make sure all departments have ample backup.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Reno, NV

I have been working at Target part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Willing to train and develop employees who want to grow within the company.

Cons

Low starting pay.
    Will only hire if you have open availability.

I was never informed on basic things like how to request time off, sign up for direct deposit, change schedule availability. etc. I have many questions and really no idea who to ask because it's always so hectic. I'm not even sure who I report to.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good and pay is fair but its hard to get an increase in pay. I like the flexible schedule and its a friendly learning workplace. I would like myTime if STLs would allow it to work the way it should. If you're young and pretty you will move up!

Cons

Everyone is required to do everything (push cafs, back up cashier, zone, push go backs, etc.) within a short period of time if you are a team member. If you are an ETL you must do the same however, if you are HR or AP you don't have enough time in your work center to get anything done. You are required to be on the sales floor and keep your scores in your work center green. There's no work life balance... I worked 10-12 hours each day. It's like high school... some ETLs are bullies and STLs do nothing about it.

Work on talent management, we need managers to give us support and be able to put their foot down! Give us more hours for the sales floor and don't allow management to let upload take all the hours. Include an attendance policy. One off work centers need to spend most of their work week in their work centers and only 2 days a week on the sales floor and keep it that way every week. Stop pulling them to the floor... Train managers to give honest feedback to team members, TLs, and ETLs. Do not tell them that they are doing a wonderful if their not. Pay team members more money... we are asking them to do a lot for low pay. Promote TLs to ETLs who know what they are doing! Please stop hiring 22-year-olds.

Target is okay temporarily but not necessarily long term

Former Employee - Cashier, Starbucks Barista in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Cashier, Starbucks Barista in Sparks, NV

I worked at Target as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Are willing to train in multiple departments and provides multiple opportunities to obtain hours.

Cons

Not overly willing to provide high enough salaries to create dependable positions.

ETL - AP

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Target full-time (less than a year)

Pros

benefits are great, as well as pay

Cons

having multiple bosses can be very stressful, along with 12 hour days

Work life balance needs some work

Learned a lot and worked a lot.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader Human Resources in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about the operational side of the organization. The training is thorough. The company invests a lot of time into their associates. The brand has strong dependability as a result.

Cons

As a salaried individual you work hard and a lot. There were many weeks I worked seven days a week to be able to stay up to date with my departmental work and complete required Manager on Duty shifts.

Be honest about the expectation of hours worked in the interview. Many managers came as their first real job out of college and failed due to not having a realistic expectations regarding work life balance.

Great company to work for if you plan to get a degree in business

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Target part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Great work environment
    -Flexible with a college school schedule

Cons

-Inconsistent hours
    -Inconsistent pay raises compared to yearly review scores

External Hires regardless of work history unorganized low pay.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, some good people to work with.

Cons

No communication, low pay compared to other companies, raises every year and very little, kids complain about hours but don't show up to work if they have a hangover, management doesn't keep up with paperwork to tardiness and no call no shows, management is unorganized, immature, and they don't know the meaning of communication and too lazy to file paperwork concerning team members and absences.

Listen to your team members, they do and see more than you do while your locked up in your office. Young management: There are team members that have gone through more than you have in life than just a 2 year degree so please give and treat your peers with respect. When there is a certain team member that has not performing well in their department consider what EVERYONE says about them. There's more to say just don't work here.