Target Reviews in New York City, NY

8,214 Reviews
3.1
8,214 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

215 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good while it lasted

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader  in  Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Commack, NY

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the working environment here. We created a healthy community of teams. We were happy with compensation and benefits. Target team member discount, doesn't get better than that!

Cons

When I left I was in a great status with all team members, peer management, as well as executive management. I received awards and team member cards of satisfaction and praise. However, when the next store manager reorganized his store staff, my employee record shows that I am not rehirable recommended. Someone clicked the wrong button and no one will answer for it when I have inquired. No one recalls those days now.

I'm not sure why my record was side swiped, but I encourage a default of rehire so people can have your great company as a reference, rather than due to error having to not disclose that time invested. When someone cares enough to call in to inquire to a matter of error at least call them back with a solution or some sort of closure. Not looking into the matter and not returning communications is just poor professionalism and disrespectful.

It's a good job for students who are in school. Unless you're management , this is not a place to stay at for very long.

Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount is alright

They try to work around your school schedule

Good benefits

Friendly Co workers

Cons

Hours drop drastically after holidays

Raises are usually 10-20 cents a year

Management only cares about red cards

Unrealistic goals r set but r required to be done by the end of your shift

They under staff to cut costs, which causes guests to get angry when there's no one on the floor to help them. Or when there aren't enough cashiers

Training really needs to be improved. There were times at my store where a new team member that's been there for 2 weeks was already training someone. Or they will put an untrained team member in various departments.

Management can sometimes b lazy and lack communication

They r turning assets protection into greeters instead of preventing theft

Focus on properly training your team members. If u expect your team members to meet your unrealistic red card goals then start an incentive program or provide more recognition. Don't just care about red cards. Focus on making your team happy to work for u and show us that u care and we aren't just a number.

Part-Time job during my teenage years.

Current Employee - Target Team Member  in  Watchung, NJ
    Current Employee - Target Team Member in Watchung, NJ

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Its excellent if you are ages 16-22. Part-time pay allows for personal luxuries. Hours are flexible. Red and Khaki. Very organized work structure. LODs/Executive Team awesome to talk to.

Cons

I worked there 5 years and my pay increased 50 cents throughout that whole time. GSLs and GSTLs vary, Some are horrible. Customers in this area are mostly from the Plainfield region and suck.

Provide more incentives besides 20$ free DVDs every once in a while. I know some dudes that probably deserved to be brought up to upper management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Going Back

Former Employee - Cafe Team Member - Food Service  in  Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Cafe Team Member - Food Service in Edison, NJ

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CoWorkers
    Try to work with you when asking for time off.

Cons

No Team Work
    Cafe Often Neglected
    Not Worth The Pay

Don't assume you know what it's like to work every aspect of the store. If Cafe members are asking for help or more people to be on during a shift listen to them. It's hard work that you probably wouldn't be able to do by yourself and they just barely can.

You get as much as you put in.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience  in  Copiague, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Copiague, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits, Decent Pay, good team, different scenarios each day, Flexible hours, 2 days off a week, friendly, volunteering at local events

Cons

Long Hours, A lot of pressure when it comes to driving results, High turnover rate, live breath eat Target. Becomes draining especially when you are the leader on duty. Every 5 years you get an extra week of vacation.

4th quarter blackout dates on vacations. A lot of personal growth that can benefit themselves as leaders and grow personally. Promotions are sometimes hard to come by

great company

Current Employee - Target ETL Logistics  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Target ETL Logistics in New York, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to work for with lots of areas to grow. you gotta stay motivated and be about self development depending on the store you are in.

Cons

Work life balance might be an issue for certain people. you would have to be built to last through rough 4th quarter craziness. but overall

Nice benefits but unqualified people

Current Employee - Food Ave Team Member  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Food Ave Team Member in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great. HIGHER ranking associates are easy going.

Cons

The schedules are often mixed up

Learn your trade

decent retail experience

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pharmacy department, it was a good place to learn about patient counseling and running a pharmacy department

Cons

wearing the red and khaki uniform was kind of a drag

Incredible entry level opportunity to pursue a career in retail, or hone your skills for a preferred job field.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Commack, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

You ultimately determine how far you go, you have opportunities to globally stretch out to other business centers and stores if you wish to take it that far.
    Excellent salaries and benefits, highest starting pay in New York area for a retail job

Cons

No commission opportunities, therefore many people begin to get entitled and disgruntled when they kill themselves through fourth quarter, and feel their raise is disproportionate.

Focus less on image and more on margins.

It was pretty good

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

good hours, pretty good starting pay for a retail job, room for advancement if you choose to stay with the company. I worked there for a summer during college was satisfied with the amount of hours they gave me and how much I was getting paid. The employees were friendly and helpful and there was plenty of training.

Cons

long hours standing at register, can be boring, have to always look busy, can stay until late at night after store closes to clean up.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!