Target

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoy working at Target

ETL (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey focus a lot on development and improvement

ConsSometimes unrealistic expectations from group leaders

Very nice- just don't steal

Cashier (Former Employee)
Grand Forks, ND

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly coworkers, nice starting pay. Nice upkeep. Didn't have to pick up other people's slack or do their jobs for them since everyone worked together.

ConsDidn't get paid overtime for working 12 hours on black friday. One of my bosses wasn't very nice but she got fired/quit shortly after I left anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Fast, Fun and Friendly Work Environment!

Management (Former Employee)
Minot, ND

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, excellent pay, lots of opportunity to excel and learn new opportunities, great employee benefits. Its fast, fun and friendly!!!

ConsThe work life balance is not great. Many times work had to come before spending time with family. They say they encourage a health work like balance however, if you took time off you had to work your but off before and after the departure in order to stay on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce a better work life balance for all employees

Wal-mart wanna be

Presentation Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target

ProsThe company tends to attract amazing talent.
More socially responsible than their competitors.
Best compensation package I've found in retail.
Opportunity to promote quickly due to high turn-over rates.

ConsWork-Life-Balance is no longer a realistic or attainable goal. Hourly employees are treated as disposable. Turnover rates have steadily risen in the past year approaching 50%. In response to these figures, HQ lowered their expectations for retention. The acceptable turnover percentage was increased to within 5% of 45% to qualify for a "green" management score. Good performance is always rewarded with more work and no compensation. Team Leaders have steadily been taking on the responsibilities of executives yet are still expected to accomplish goals on an hourly basis. These positions should be salaried.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your Minnesota roots. Don't forget the midwestern values and principles your company was founded on. Offer more living-wage positions. Reward employees not with snacks in the break room, but with a share in your growing profits.

It was an ok job

Overnight Stocker (Former Employee)

I worked at Target

ProsIf you are overnight stock you earn 2 dollars more an hour. it's an over all easy job and it's good for students.

Consi really did not like the management there. they would stand around and talk an rarely help or do anything.

Advice to Senior Managementactually lead by example rather than doing nothing on the side. hiding in the office and talking while the PA system is on does not count.

Overall positive

Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Target

ProsSchedules are flexible, time off is fairly easy to get if needed. Target seems best suited to be a part time, extra income type job.

ConsPay and management feedback could be a lot better. Not many of the longer term employees project a very happy impression.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with all of the employees. Even the least experienced cashier should be noticed and recognized.

target

Minot, ND

I have been working at Target

ProsTarget is a great place to work because the executive managment do an amazing job of operating the store.

ConsI am not as impressed with the supervisors. (team leaders)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that your team leaders do not take advantage of the positions they have.

Good pay and benefits, but is it worth it?

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Target

ProsI will admit that the pay at Target is pretty good, and if you show potential and are able to get level raises, you can increase your salary by close to $10,000 within a few years, but it takes major butt kissing to do that. The benefits are also very good. Health, dental, optical and retirement, so that's really good. Time off is average, but gets better the longer you stay.

ConsYou are completely micromanaged and you have to micromanage your department leaders. I was told that I can't go and talk to an employee about his performance. I had to talk to a department manager who would then talk to that person. I also hated the fact that every month you need to find a "bottom performer". HR would ride you from then on to fire that person. Like most big companys, there were so many rules which made it very black and white, no room to be creative. You are told how to do everything, including how to organize your office in some cases. HQ is always sending stores these "great ideas" that are so stupid. All these suits that are in MSP/St. Paul need to get out of the office and try some of this crap out before they tell the entire company to do it. The company talks about work/life balance, but unless you are in a small store, you can pretty much expect to work 50 hours a week during the slow times, up to 60 over the holidays. If you are working overnights (which most ETLs do at least once), then you can expect to work 10-12 hour nights during the slow times, 14-16 hour nights during the busy times. The crapiest thing though, nothing seemed like it was ever good enough. You could have the most beautiful store with amazing numbers, but district and regional management would still come in and make you feel like crap because of something stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the office and help us out instead of making us feel like crap. I hated when you asked us why this or that wasn't right and when I gave a reason, you came back with "That's not an excuse". YES IT IS! The ETLs and department leaders run the stores, so treat them with some respect. Store leaders allocate payroll and who knows that the district managers do besides take vacations and tell us we aren't good enough. 199 GVP, you are not a very nice person.

?

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)
Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Target

ProsNice People. Routine is the same. Easy to start working for the store. Some stores will give you autonomy and some stores will be really rigid. Stores are usually clean and up to date

ConsThe routine is the same. Retail during holidays is terrible. Management is always getting told to cut payroll. Raises are pretty minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really don't have much except to give some better raises.

Decent working experience.

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target

ProsGreat coworker community, easy to make new friends with other target team members, simple and easy tasks to complete, easy to learn job, Target usually pays more than minimum wage.

ConsPestered by management to constantly ask guests "Can I help you find something?" - which, is apart of the job, so it's legit. This Target branch is over-employed and most team members aren't getting the hours they requested or desire.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in North Dakota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.