Target Reviews in Pennsylvania

8,067 Reviews

3.1
8,067 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

165 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for seasonal

Former Employee - Logistics Team Member  in  Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Logistics Team Member in Erie, PA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need to pick up some extra holiday cash, Target has great place to do it. They are great and getting you into work and understanding what your tasks are.

Cons

They treat seasonal people as just that, That don't expect or seem to want to keep anyone after the seasonal rush, no matter what your skill level or work ethic is.

Consider taking advantage of seasonal works that may be a great fit year round.

Good job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly work place, work with personal schedule , good discounts, good stepping stone into retail

Cons

Could use bonuses, Hire more friendly people, No pto, no work benefits

Not a bad first job for management.

Current Employee - Distribution Operations Manager, Group Leader  in  Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Distribution Operations Manager, Group Leader in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary for recent college grads with no experience. Good benefits. College major doesn't matter, they hire off of leadership experience and potential.

Cons

Conform or be left behind. They are too worried about their culture and your performance will be ignored if you aren't a cookie cutter fit.

Appreciate diversity before, during, and after the hiring process. You hire diversely but don't necessarily promote diversely.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tried to care, was not worth my time.

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member  in  Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Exton, PA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

The fellow employees were great to be with. They were always friendly and were willing to help with whatever you needed.

Cons

Management was not very effective in leading a team that supported them. They ruled with strict guidelines and across the board rules. I tried to bring new ideas and different perspectives that other people could not bring to the table. My ideas were immediately shot down and ignored without any consideration. They ruled harshly because they could and did not care about the business beyond just controlling the other slacker employees.

Take employees ideas and actually see if they would be beneficial not do not try to rule with an iron fist just because you can.

Company heading in the wrong direction...

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay offered to a college student coming right out of school is higher than most companies pay. The 401k match is higher than most companies pay. You will get a lot of leadership experience, however, once you are pigeonholed into retail it is hard to break out of it, so unless this is a career you want to continue for the rest of your life, make sure you set a timeline for yourself as to when to get out.

Cons

Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months. Sales in the company overall have been on a decline, and as a result, payroll in the stores has dramatically decreased, leaving the salaried Executive Team Leaders to pick up the slack. I have been with the company for six years, and at this point I am not longer exercising my leadership - I am physically working on setting transitions, unloading trucks, cashiering, bringing carts in the building, etc. When you are hired they set the 50 hour week standard with you, which seems reasonable for the amount you will be getting paid, however, it is pretty rare that you will actually only work 50 hours. I would say on average I am clocking 60 hours a week in a low volume store.

When Target presents the position to new candidates, they do not portray a realistic job description. I would say I spend about 40% of my week crushing cardboard in a baler and crushing garbage in a compactor. Additionally, it is expected that you are on the floor interacting with guests pretty much 90% of your day, which makes it difficult to complete any administrative work that you may have.

The overall culture and morale of the company has been on a decline. With the headcount reduction that they took at the beginning of the year, it has all of the team leaders in stores with excess headcount scared for their jobs. At this point, store team leaders are literally using the corrective action process for anything they can, which has never been done in the past. Being in a store where the headcount was reduced by 7 positions that were eliminated, I have been a part of succession planning. It is basically like making a hit list for employees that have performed well, but that need to go because it is expected that we reach this headcount by September. The morale is also impacted by the lack of communication stores receive from HQ. A lot of times the strategies the company is rolling out are not communicated in a timely manner, or are conflicting. In the aftermath of the credit card saga, stores were receiving conflicting information on almost a daily basis due to Target's desire to win back the guests.

Training for ETL positions is seriously lacking. You receive 6 weeks of training, which is nowhere near what is needed for the position. Being a trainer myself, I have often worked with my STL to visit my trainees stores with them to extend the training an additional week or so. The one position in my current store has going through 6 ETLs in the last 4 years because they are not being trained properly and become frustrated and disengaged once they are actually in role.

My advice to anyone going into an Executive Team Leader position is to be vocal and try to get into either Logistics or Human Resources. I think those are the two safest positions from a headcount reduction standpoint (I have seen this happen twice in the 6 years I've been with the company), and those are the two positions that will allow you to move out of the company and have the best opportunities. In my opinion, if you are a sales floor ETL, you will be stuck in retail for the rest of your career because you will not have any other experience.

My real advice to anyone would be to pass up the opportunity - the money is not worth the hours you will put in and the lack of professional experience you will receive. However, I cannot say that Target is a terrible company to work for - it has just seen better days.

Take a deeper look at who is being placed in store leadership positions. When I first started with the company, development was truly a focus, and now at this point the store team leaders are only focused on metrics and where they rank within their districts. I have seen a lot of great leaders leave the company, and have not seen leaders of the same caliber take their place. In the market I am in, there are a lot of STLs taking over that have only held one position and don't know anything about Logistics or HR, which makes it difficult for new leaders on-boarding.

ETL - Logistics (Overnight)

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are a strong company with great brand recognition and loyal guests even though they are currently going through a rough stretch with poor Canadian operations and the credit card breech. You get every other weekend off which is rare in retail. As an experienced hire, the pay was above what I expected and what i asked for in the interview. Benefits are decent and the 401k match is a nice perk. It's a great place to gain valuable experience.

Cons

They hire ETLs and tell you what assignment you get once you start - they hinted to overnight in the interview process, but didn't confirm until I had started. The on-boarding and training are a joke - six weeks and you are expected to be able to run a $50MM operation. I worked in retail years ago and was put through a 9-12 month training to compare. Target hires A LOT of college grads - unless you can get into an HR or Logistics assignment, you may find yourself stuck in retail with no transferrable skills. You also get a lot of ETL;s that have little to no pervious work experience running stores. Target continues to extend their hours, so you end up working until 11p or 12a on a regular basis or 5 12 hour overnight shifts a week - if you've never done overnights, it's VERY challenging. I saw a few people that were promoted to store managers very fast and lacked some people and leadership skills to be successful. Flavor of the week mentality

Morale in the stores is poor right now - people are being stretched too thin. Pushing people until they break is no way to run a business. Truly put the guest first and give the stores the support to staff accordingly. Right now, you are looking penny wise and dollar dumb!

HR Team Member

Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great entry level Human resource generalist position. Company has a lot of written policies and procedures that help you understand and learn the job.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. You can not be a a manager without a 4 year degree.

Retail experience should be considered rather than solely a Bachelor's degree. Most people start in retail at low wages making paying for college impossible without incurring huge debt. Management wages are to low to offset cost of college.

Very interesting job.

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Easton, PA
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Easton, PA

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly atmosphere .Very good co-workers

Cons

Very good company to work with and also team work .

Need prompt actions if any trouble arise with the customers .

sucked

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Sinking Spring, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sinking Spring, PA

I worked at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had a job when i need one and thats it

Cons

they do not show appreciation for there workers and hours are very inconsistency

Disappointing

Current Employee - Logistics Team Member  in  Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Abington, PA

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with can be a joy and the company organizes fun events for employees involving food games etc.

Cons

Management is inconsistent at best and ignorant at worst. This applies at all levels too often people hold authority over you yet have little to no understanding of your responsibilities and priorities. Also those fun events come at the cost of less than competetive pay. They offer promotion opportunities but favoritism is rampant and the decision making progress isnt comprehensible whatsoever.

Set better guidelines for the enforcement of rules across the board so everyone has a clear picture of what expectations are.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!