Target

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
3.3

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 286 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 638 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 753 reviews)

More Highlights

131 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Asset Protection Team Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Team Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I really like working for Target and the people who work for Target are very friendly and easy to get along with. I have worked for Target for 8 years and have enjoyed my time here so far.

Cons

The cons that I can see are internal promotions. Target likes to bring in external candidates more so than internal ones. I think Target loses great team members due to not promoting internally.

Promote more internally.

Fun first job, don't expect much of a raise.

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, get to interact with guests, fairly low stress tasks. Lots of employees means chances to be cross-trained and pick up extra shifts when you need it.

Cons

If you are not going to be full time working up the management ladder then don't expect much of a raise. Being the best employee might net you .25 after your annual review. On the other side, they don't really like to promote from within much and would rather bring outsiders to manage a team whose jobs they don't understand.

After 10 years I quit!!

Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had great training over the years and was crossed trained in many areas. When you get bored with one area, you can just move to a different area instead of quitting and finding a new job. With me personally, I have trained in 12 different areas and I have more knowledge about things than some of the Team Leads and the ETL's. I love making great friends along the way and meeting some awesome Guests as well. Getting to be a part of their lives in and outside of Target is what makes it feel family based. Hours are flexible for those who ask for certain days to be off (like for school). Getting time off is good if you remember to do it 3 weeks a head of time. Benefits only benefit some, not all. Discount (10%) good and can be used everywhere in store and online. Having the RED Card (5%) helps a bit more along with coupons, Cartwheel and ad matching.

Cons

If you are a butt kisser, then this is the place to go. I am not and because of that I never moved up to a Team Lead. I learned more than most and they were happy with that but not to pay me for it. They are under staffed big time and they expect you to do 2-4 people's worth of work. When you get frustrated when you can't get it all done; asking for help is something that you may or may not get. The RED Card that Target offers is great and all, but shoving it down a Guest's throat is another thing. Our store is notorious for making the Cashier's feel horrible if they don't get a RED Card in their shift. It is not their fault if they don't get any since most of the Guest's that come in the store have one. Others don't want it because of the breach 2 years ago or they have a points card. If you don't ask every Guest you get coached for it, and if you don't hit this 'magical' quota then your raise sucks. Raises are based upon how many RED Cards opened and nothing else. As far as moving up from the bottom is really hard to do. I was passed up for GSTL and when they hired someone that never worked for Target before, they made me train her. It is hard when upper management (Team Leads, ETL's and District Manager) doesn't respect you and treats you like crap... then head for the door. I put up with it far to long and when I was given the opportunity to join another company that would allow me to be an Assistant Store Manager, I took it. Now I will be able to continue to do what I know but actually get the respect that I deserve. What is funny about me leaving is other people want to come and work for me. That tells me that I am not the only one that wants to leave. I know that ALL companies have issues and maybe the next one will as well, but at least I get a fresh start to show what I am made of.

Wow, were to start.... One thing that I would say is to think before you speak. I was humiliated in front of Team Members and Guests one Christmas when one of the ETL's yelled at me for a mess that I didn't make. When I tried to tell the ETL that I didn't do it, they didn't want to hear it. The ETL told me to shut up and not to talk. Your team has feelings and when they get hurt the last thing they want to do is come to work if you are there. I can't even count how many times I have cried at work or have drove home in tears. Also, don't use and abuse your team, treat them with respect... we are not robots we are people!

Clean and friendly environment with various opportunities, don't get stuck in a dead end department.

Former Employee - Cashier/Cart Attendant in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Cart Attendant in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Started out in the morning stock crew. Pay was average. Got to work as cashier, market dept, sales floor and carts. Friendly and professional people. As long as you file availability request procedures, they work with whatever you are able to do.

Cons

At one point I got moved to carts since I was awesome at it. Once there I was stuck. Worked holidays and store started closing an hour later (11pm).

Team Manager Collections

Former Employee - Team Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company, excellent benefits and opportunities.

Cons

Some good old boy culture exists at times.

Let people be themselves and not a cookie cutter of a Target Brand idea.

Safety guided company

Former Employee - Putaway Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Putaway Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Target

Pros

Good staring pay,good and often raises,good team work culture.

Cons

Some of the group leaders dont have warehouse any warehousing expierence ,some of them are rude and they look down on you

take workers opinions seriously.

Target corporate services

Current Employee - Credit Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Credit Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Target

Pros

Great friends supportive TL, friendly environment

Cons

Collections. Over using stats. Being assumptive 100% on all calls. Sometimes back to back outbound calls.

N/a

It was great working there

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Target

Pros

The Training program and trainers made it easy and fun to do the job

Cons

I worked there a seasonal employee and had absolutely ZERO bad experience.

none

Fun retail job

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Queen Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Queen Creek, AZ

I worked at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is friendly (for the most part), the hiring process is very transparent, the job is fun if you let it be fun, they try to do a lot of fun stuff for employees (potlucks, we had a chili competition, they fed us a lot) and the management (at my store at least) tended to back the employees, opportunities do exist to move up within the company

Cons

the pay is terrible (but that's true for most retail jobs), the schedule isn't set unless you work in a specialty area like plano or signing, customers can be really rude

They are good company to work for, they offer nice discounts. I enjoyed working ther I was only there for seasonal work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Target

Pros

They give you a 10% employee discount and a 5% discount if you have their RedCard. Plus you get coupons every time you make a purchase. Also they give gift cards when you purchase specific products. They also have another program that offers additional savings.

Cons

It was only a seasonal job. Sometimes it can turn into a full time job depending on your performance if you want to stay.