Target

Target Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 3, 2014

John J. Mulligan

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great first job, gained great experience

Various (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Prosgreat work life balance. good place to learn broad job skills and get experience. this was my first job and i worked there for almost 10yrs, almost made a career out of it.

Conscompensation was very low. there were few other downsides, the pay was rough though. pay was the only reason i didnt make a career out of it.

Fast paced, fun environment, flexible schedule"

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsFlexible hours, friendly leaders and team members. Great discounts. They work really hard to make employees feel appreciated.

ConsFast-paced work environment. Lots of walking, good for exercise, but after 5 years got tired of it. They don't always hire enough help for the front lanes so floor team members are called on regularly to back up at the lanes. Not all team members take a turn.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake everyone take turns doing back-ups. Consider paying a little more as Target has more expectations and harder work than most retail places.

A great place to work!

Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsAll of my team leads are amazing. I have developed great relationships with my team members and I love working here. They give the opportunity to cross train. I am a full time Electronics promoted from sales floor, and I know operator, guest service as well as being apart of the food team.

ConsThere are some scheduling issues that makes some tasks harder to complete on time. Some of the guests are rude and the messes they are are mind boggling. There are bound to be some slackers as team members and you may have to pick up slack for them to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnecting and communication is key for the team members. We like it when we feel like we are apart of the store rather than aisle cleaners and a glorified arrow.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MISMANAGEMENT - Complete lack of leadership, support and resources available to develop talent

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsBenefits were decent. 401K was great, dental insurance better than average and health insurance premiums were reasonable.

ConsThe policies are meant to protect team member privacy, but there is total gossip in the HR department. "One bad apple" causes a ripple effect throughout entire store. Nothing is confidential so it is difficult to trust anyone. Asking for support repeatedly because you are not getting it may put a red flag on you. Expectations are very high and very little time is given to meet them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Expect More. Pay Less. should really be the public campaign, not the corporate motto for team members. Place more emphasis on the training and do not expect an untrained team member to be able to fulfill all expectations in their role before it is completed. Structure it so that the leadership team cannot force you through a course just to mark it as complete in HR.

I loathe shopping at Target now because of my poor experience as an employee.

Food Ave Team Member (Former Employee)

Pros10% discount on Target products

ConsPoor management, high turnover rate, underpaid, over-worked

Great Place to Work!

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsChance for advancement, great management

ConsAlways want you to work on days off to cover for call ins

Store team lead

Store Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsSalary, in store camaraderie, fast pace. Guests are great for the mist part. DTL only visits if they feel their job is in jeopardy otherwise your on your own.

ConsEverything is flavor of the month and politics. DTL and group leadership will tell you to focus on one thing exclusively then chastise you for doing so.... Very confusing disjointed leadership. Politics are all that matter for promotion or recognition. Be prepared to have your opinion asked for but then be told you are wrong!? Why even ask? Stores are accountable for everything, the buyers didn't buy enough product? Why didn't you fix it. Payroll is constantly cut but your told guest service is number one priority!! No payroll but interact with every guest, really how does that work!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your money where your mouth is, if service is number one then give the stores hours to help the guests. Fix your ancient infrastructure and quit asking STLs how to make things better if you never listen it's become a joke

Pressured and lacking leadership.

Perishables Assistant (Former Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsIf it's not your career, its a decent job. Easy work.

ConsCompensation sucks, management doesn't give a crap about anything except if it looks like works getting done, employee motivation is low and they skip corners in their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and how they do their work and actually do something about the ones that aren't doing anything right.

Bad Target

Backroom Team Member (Current Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsThey work with your scheduling for school or other hobbies.

ConsNo professionalism, all favoritism, no way to move up unless you're sucking up. Raises based off company performance, not individual's pay.

A great environment to work in.

Target Team Member (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsPay is great, benefits are awesome, and great people to work with.

ConsThe group leaders are fresh out of college with little to no work experience in which they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within the company to provide a greater aspect of how to run a department.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO John J. Mulligan. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.