Target

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great environment to work in.

Target Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is great, benefits are awesome, and great people to work with.

ConsThe group leaders are fresh out of college with little to no work experience in which they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within the company to provide a greater aspect of how to run a department.

Creating Amazing Moments for our guests

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love the feeling of having a team that wants to work hard, feel recognized, development plans. If you have an excellent store team leader - you will have an amazing store.

Consretail (working more and more holidays), must have a degree to promote to salaried position, only promote those who can use key words - instead of those with results and experience, the lower the pay grade - the more work you do

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see more accountability to salaried positions, and would like to see a more competitive pay for our team members. The front line works very hard - definitely not compensated enough

Development!

Group Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey are very big on personal growth and development! People are great to work with!

ConsIt's a retail company and with a retail company comes retail schedules.

Target on the loose

Logistics Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsI cannot think of one good thing to say

ConsThey think they know it all when they do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and place them with people who know what they are doing.

Started out excellent and hopeful, and ended up disillusioned.

Store Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 10 years

Pros*Worked with some great people and great leaders along the way.
*Compensation and bonus structure was fair and generous.
*Provided numerous opportunities to grow and promote within the company and add value at the district and group level.
*Enjoyed the fast pace and changes that Target made to keep the company successful as a business.
*Walked away from Target with some valuable management skills.

Cons*Way too many meetings and statuses, and way to much unnecessary paperwork across the board considering the productivity expectations.
*Management review is becoming cannibalistic…once everyone knows there will always be a bottom 10 people quit helping each other and it's everyone for themselves. Morale suffers greatly and your leaders start worrying about when the time will come that they are no longer good enough instead of focusing on continuing to grow as leaders and be successful. I chose to leave because I didn't like who I had to become as a leader in order to be successful in an environment like that.
*Development is lacking beyond the basics or is put fully onto you if development isn't happening - a lack of accountability from some leaders.
*The highest leaders are not held accountable at the same level that Store Teams are held accountable.

Advice to Senior Management*Work-life balance will continue to be an opportunity until the payroll challenges are addressed in a realistic manner instead of stores having to reinvent the wheel in order to write a schedule.
*Spend more time on visits listening to the team with genuine intent instead of talking and sharing all the ways you would successfully achieve something.
*Treat stores and leaders individually and understand they have their own unique challenges instead of lumping them together with a one-size fits all solution.
*Value your strong-contributors as the foundation of the group and make sure they feel valued instead of feeling like they aren't needed or aren't important as soon as the next bright shining talent comes along. Those strong contributors can help nourish and guide that talent to the next step.

Good place to work, when the company is doing well

Executive Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, try to have fun

ConsLong hours, work every other weekend, high expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time in a store before handing out "new and improved way to do things that". These tend to rarely work out.

Your experience will vary upon management. Good job to have during college.

Team Member (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really like that during my time here they've been very flexible and accommodating when I'm in school. And I like the people I work with.

ConsIt is retail, so in my experience, everything comes down to management. If all the LOD's and Team Leads work well together, then everything should be fine and all the team members should hopefully be happy. If management isn't working well or there's some rule implemented that the team members don't like, then there probably be some low morale or team members who are not so happy. It's part of the job, but it gets annoying when you're pressured to get a certain quota of red cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long you keep the morale high, and team members happy, everything should be fine. Try not make everything all about getting the most red cards.

Target Store Management

STL (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay, fast pace, great coworkers,

ConsChange happens so fast, programs are rolled out full of mistakes and store teams are told to just "fix it".

DTL's Micro manage but accept zero accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store teams who take the abuse from your "guests" on one side and your DTL's and group leaders on the other.

Fast paced, big box retail

ETL Logistics (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid company values
Opportunity to be a leader and develop

ConsEvery year the belt is tightened with resources decreasing and expectations increasing. Don't expect a work life balance anywhere in retail. Broken promises and politics when looking to promote.

If you're in the right store, it's like a family.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsGood people, close to my house

ConsLow income, Don't always get as many hours as needed, no appreciation

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.