Target

9,026 Reviews
3.1
9,026 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 276 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 757 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 613 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 740 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place for a first job

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Target is a fast, fun, and friendly corporation that focuses on guests and their team members. We are not like normal retail stores who focus on profits. We focus our time each and every day on making our guests happy and our team members friendly. It is a great first job. I have worked for target for about 7 months and I love my fellow team members as well as my team leaders. We are dedicted to our employees' needs and make sure that our guests have a wonderful experience.

Cons

This job can get very stressful at times but its all worth it in the end. You'll love being a part of our team.

Nothing to report.

Great Company To Work For, But Not For Everyone

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

(Speaking from the store-level) The people you work with are great! Being around such smart, focused, hard working, kind and funny individuals is what will keep some people there long after they are ready to go. The money and benefits are good. The leadership development is great. The culture and ethics of the company are outstanding.

Cons

Work-life balance is rough. Minimum 50 hours a week is the expectation, I never worked less than that. The level of expectation at the store level is often unrealistic.

Be aware of what the ETL's are experiencing within each district.

Heading in wrong direction with wrong focuses

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary...makes it hard to look outside the company

Cons

Focused on wrong things, used to be better positionef by putting guests first

Focus on customer...not redcard goals

Working at target was a very fun experience for me

Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They work as a team and managers care about the staff. The employee discount is decent and it's a fun work experience.

Cons

When seasonal come around permanent hours get slashed and you will have to train them if no one else is able to do it which could be frustrating especially if you are new yourself. There isn't a set schedule but they tell you your schedule 2 weeks in advance

Make permanent employees first priority

In terms of development, can't beat this experience.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of money for the job, developmental and promotional opportunities, learning things about yourself that you cannot get anywhere else. If you have the mental fortitude, the ability to accept critical feedback, and a thick enough skin, you can nearly double your salary within 3 years. This isn't the job for people who are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity. I have seen many kids out there who get into a rough spot who start looking for a new job and don't fight through the struggles of the position. At the end of the day, the leadership team above you supports you and wants to see you succeed. If you are the type of person who would split and leave your peers and leaders high and dry because you don't have what it takes to make it through the tough times, don't consider Target as a place to start your career. If you start this journey, hold on and enjoy the ride!

Cons

Long hours, sometimes the minions are unruly...

I get it. I'd do what I could to retain the best and brightest. It's definitely not a glamourous job, but it has done wonders for me and my family.

Corporate good career but not for everyone

Current Employee - Merchandising in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Target is a strong company that values best practice and continual improvement. At corporate, you will generally have a strong (or at least decent) manager, about average pay, and in the vast majority of cases, reasonable hours. Even if you end up deciding it's not for you, you will learn a lot about communication, influencing others, and leadership. Also, as long as you want to move and take the steps necessary to get there, there are plenty of internal promotion opportunities.

Cons

They're trying to change, but it takes forever to get things done. Target presents itself as a modern, casual organization but in fact the corporate culture has long been tops-down, slow and risk-averse. Management is aware of these things and is working to speed up decision making, but there are still too many layers. In some areas perception can be more important than results. Providing you are not completely incompetent, being confident and happy can be better for your career than working hard. Also, the time off policy (based on seniority, start at 2 weeks) is not competitive.

Create a culture that values action and waste reduction. Just because you can make a process out of something doesn't mean it's more efficient that way.

Target Protection Specialist

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with school. Decent pay. Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Difficult to move up if you are with the company, and THEN get your degree. External hires with degress typically enter in at a higher position.

Promote form within more than externally hiring

Great if you work in the back room

Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member
    Current Employee - Target Back Room Team Member

I have been working at Target full-time

Pros

The back room is by far the best place to work at here. Anywhere else you will have to deal with idiot customers

Cons

Very high expectations, sometimes unreasonable when working. If you dont go out of your way to help customers you get scolded, if you do help them but take too long helping them you get scolded because you didnt do your other duties

Target overnight flow

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's no customers, work with great bosses, other great team members, also have a chance to grow and train for new positions

Cons

Sometimes you don't get many days and sometimes they play favoritism

Treat employees right and they will give you the up most respect and treat everyone equally

Fast fun friendly

Current Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member/Electronics Team Member in Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast,fun,friendly, if your willing to work hard and fallow the motto you will go far. Target is a great place to work.

Cons

Some guest can be rude but it's still better then most jobs