Target Reviews

Reset
3.2
Brian Cornell
1,435 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

12,418 Employee Reviews

Unrealistic expectations for leadership

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started working for the company, they offered great benefits for part-time employees and I was able to work my way up quickly through the ranks and pay for my education. They really cared about the development and retention of it's employees, helping customers and being a national brand.

Cons

The last few years have really been unsteady for those who have been with the company for a number of years. Part-time employees no longer have benefits, hours are cut significantly to where most employees have multiple jobs, and are still expected to provide the same quality of service as before. Political games are being played constantly with a top and bottom performer for every leader. Even if you are the best at what you do, you still fall under the chopping block. There is no more incentive for employee loyalty. High turnover and corporate layoffs. There is also an unclear direction as to where the new CEO is leading the company.

Advice to Management

Target has been constantly chasing technological advances and launching new programs before they are currently tested and fully supported. They need to thoroughly look into what they are investing money in before rolling them out to the store level where the more recent programs have done nothing but add frustration, negativity, and less resources to stores that really need payroll and incentives to keep great employees with the company and to be able to share great experiences to keep customers coming back.

Executive Team Leader

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working here, Its one of the best places to gain experience. You can also grow very rapidly all depending on your drive and ambition. This company is amazing. Very goal, team and family oriented all rolled into one. I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Working on holidays and 10-12hr shifts can get a bit overwhelming after a few years. I suggest would say this would be a perfect place for fresh new college graduates. If you have a family it can be challenging to juggle both. Not that it is impossible, but, sometimes it can feel that way. :)

Cashier

I worked at Target

Pros

Flexible on scheduling, 10% off employee discount, everyone is pretty chill, great first job.

Cons

Redcards...Target revolves around them.

Was amazing during the Ulrich years. What happened?

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target

Pros

I cannot come up with any pros st this time. The company has been creating a horrifying g place to work.

Cons

The lowest employee morale that I've ever experienced

Advice to Management

To the board, fire Cornell before he turns Target into another Walmart.

6. PMT

Current Employee - Pmt in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Pmt in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only set schedule at Target M-F 6:00am-2:30pm. 6 paid holidays off. Good hands-on work with a lot of networking with contractors.

Cons

Metrics are more important than other retailers. A bit difficult to promote from within.

7. Love

I have been working at Target full-time

Pros

Target is an excellent company to work for.

Cons

Hours can vary from week to week, but for the most part are steady and stable.

8. Tax Assistant

Current Employee - Tax Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Target

Pros

The boss and colleagues are really nice! The working environment is good and relaxed.

Cons

I learnt less than I expected. So really wish the training system is good.

9. I've had the opportunity to hire and staff a $30M dollar store and own the HR culture of the building

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working at Target is that I get to work with a team. There are 150+ team members at my store and many of them I've become very close to. I also did not need any previous experience, I started right out of college. My job has a lot of responsibility but has given me the chance to become a leader and a trainer to others. It is also an office job but I also get to spend time with team members and helping guests on the salesfloor which is a good balance of the two because I get to work in HR while also being a leader on the salesfloor.

Cons

Retail can be stressful, we also work during the holidays. Being a full time executive, we do not get paid overtime. We also work every other weekend, with a minimum of 50 hours per week.

10. Target Front End Cashier

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in South Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, schedule given 2 weeks ahead of time, ability to put in personal availability for scheduling, good supervisors

Cons

No benefits, low hourly pay, too much pressure and emphasis on getting guests/customers to sign up for debit and credit cards, inability to be full time without becoming a team lead or executive.

Advice to Management

Increase hourly pay and weekly hours, reward workers who do a good job, show up on time, and do not call out all the time, and REDUCE the importance and pressure to get customers to sign up for debit and credit cards. Being continually asked to ask every customer/guest slows down the check out process and annoys the guests - more importance should be placed on making the shopping experience better for the guests.

11. OK for what it is

I worked at Target

Pros

Laid back environment and friendly employees.

Cons

Scheduling and motivation of some employees.

Showing 12,418 of 12,651 reviews