Target

9,011 Reviews
3.1
9,011 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 276 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 757 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 613 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 740 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome.

I have been working at Target

Pros

Fun, challenging, exciting, good atmosphere.

Cons

Busy, rude people, bad hours.

All is well.

Great Company To Work For, But Not For Everyone

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

(Speaking from the store-level) The people you work with are great! Being around such smart, focused, hard working, kind and funny individuals is what will keep some people there long after they are ready to go. The money and benefits are good. The leadership development is great. The culture and ethics of the company are outstanding.

Cons

Work-life balance is rough. Minimum 50 hours a week is the expectation, I never worked less than that. The level of expectation at the store level is often unrealistic.

Be aware of what the ETL's are experiencing within each district.

Heading in wrong direction with wrong focuses

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary...makes it hard to look outside the company

Cons

Focused on wrong things, used to be better positionef by putting guests first

Focus on customer...not redcard goals

In terms of development, can't beat this experience.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of money for the job, developmental and promotional opportunities, learning things about yourself that you cannot get anywhere else. If you have the mental fortitude, the ability to accept critical feedback, and a thick enough skin, you can nearly double your salary within 3 years. This isn't the job for people who are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity. I have seen many kids out there who get into a rough spot who start looking for a new job and don't fight through the struggles of the position. At the end of the day, the leadership team above you supports you and wants to see you succeed. If you are the type of person who would split and leave your peers and leaders high and dry because you don't have what it takes to make it through the tough times, don't consider Target as a place to start your career. If you start this journey, hold on and enjoy the ride!

Cons

Long hours, sometimes the minions are unruly...

I get it. I'd do what I could to retain the best and brightest. It's definitely not a glamourous job, but it has done wonders for me and my family.

Corporate good career but not for everyone

Current Employee - Merchandising in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Target is a strong company that values best practice and continual improvement. At corporate, you will generally have a strong (or at least decent) manager, about average pay, and in the vast majority of cases, reasonable hours. Even if you end up deciding it's not for you, you will learn a lot about communication, influencing others, and leadership. Also, as long as you want to move and take the steps necessary to get there, there are plenty of internal promotion opportunities.

Cons

They're trying to change, but it takes forever to get things done. Target presents itself as a modern, casual organization but in fact the corporate culture has long been tops-down, slow and risk-averse. Management is aware of these things and is working to speed up decision making, but there are still too many layers. In some areas perception can be more important than results. Providing you are not completely incompetent, being confident and happy can be better for your career than working hard. Also, the time off policy (based on seniority, start at 2 weeks) is not competitive.

Create a culture that values action and waste reduction. Just because you can make a process out of something doesn't mean it's more efficient that way.

Target Protection Specialist

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with school. Decent pay. Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Difficult to move up if you are with the company, and THEN get your degree. External hires with degress typically enter in at a higher position.

Promote form within more than externally hiring

It was a greeat company when I wasnt a team lead or manager it's a great job for teenagers retired people or students or stay at home moms

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Target

Pros

Always hiring promote good workers

Cons

Over work managers and miners

I enjoyed it most of the time, the work is kinda of hard but I enjoy it. Pay isn't good though

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in electronics, it's a lot more laid back and time goes by faster

Cons

Working in hardlines and or softlines

Management has always been nice to me and I've never had a problem

Friendly people, Redundant Work

Former Employee - Flow Team Member
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member

I worked at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with many friendly hard working people. Hours are fairly consistent. Pay was average. Unloading the trucks was tough and fast paced but fun.

Cons

Very repetitive work. All day every day nothing but stocking for the most part. At times you will work in very cold environments. Can be dangerous if you are careless. Our store had a long record of safety though in our department.

Fun environment and plenty of room for growth

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many ways to get involved both in the store and outside. There are numerous volunteer opportunities like walks and being involved at schools. Many "parties" in the break room!!!!

Cons

long hours, leadership sometimes wants you to drop everything and do something else and meanwhile that work you were doing never gets done, during certain months very little hours available, very hard to get to a "happy medium" because you're either overworked or underworked.

Maybe have more meetings amongst yourselves before the day/shift starts. There are things us team members don't know like the budget per month or what happens when a leader leaves, but there are times where the whole store is effected and team members need to be addressed/forewarned about things in a professional manner