Target Reviews

8,137 Reviews

3.1
8,137 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights

Great first job...TMs need more recognition

Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member  in  Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. You meet amazing people. The longer you work with them, the more relationships you make. Sometimes you can meet your best of friends here.

2. When you want to become a leader, depending on your boss, they do work with you and help with your development to eventually become a leader one day.

3. The higher you move up, Target pays you very well.

4. The diverse culture makes it a fun experience to work at Target. Target does not discriminate anyone. No matter what gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or birth defects, Target makes you feel welcome.

5. The fast, fun, and friendly culture makes it fun to go to work.

Cons

1. They pay very little to the team members that do the most work.

2. ETL's play favorites with team leads too much and let certain ones get away with more than others.

3. ETL's need to work on the floor more with their team. Spending too much time in TSC and the offices gives off a bad perception to the team.

4. They start off team leads who are brand new to the company way more than a team member that becomes a team lead. Example: at my store, started off a new TL at $18 just because they had a few years experience at another company. TM who started off on Flow had same amount of years of management experience with another company but only was given a raise up to $12. Why would they give a team lead who knows nothing about the way the company runs, more money than someone who has worked so hard for years with Target. Doesn't seem fair at all.

5. ETL's expect too much from minimum wage team members. While they get their giant paychecks for walking around and sitting at their desks, team members who work part time but leave every shift tired and sweaty, get $200-$400 to survive off of. Some with families to support.

6. Team Leads get paid for all national holidays no matter if they work that day or not, team members who work a certain amount of hours only get paid holiday pay for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

7. Target as a company makes so much money everyday, yet they cut so many corners to try and save money, that sometimes it makes it stressful to get your work done in time and with the few resources you have. Ex: cutting back on team leads and ETLs for certain departments in every store. 3 years ago, we would have 6 hard lines and 6 soft lines closers and now only have 1 in hard lines and 1 in soft lines every night. (and they wonder why the store sometimes doesn't look good the next morning.

Think more about the "little people" - the level 1 team members that make the stores successful everyday and not so much about the ETLs and their pay.
    Appreciate and recognize team members and not so much management.

It paid the bills and I met a lot of people...

Former Employee - Logistics Backroom Team Member  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Logistics Backroom Team Member in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Target part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-The people I met while working there.
    -Benefits

Cons

-Everyone was supposed to be trained as a cashier...A few of us never got that training.
    -Different Teams didn't always get along even on the management level which led to a lot quarreling. This also led to miscommunication on what needed to get done and how to go about doing it.
    -Not a lot of hours allotted to get work done.
    -Although they wanted to train people to move up the ladder, they never had opportunities or would hire externally.
    -Christmas season and Black Friday's are pretty bad.

ETL's need to be on the same page at all times. Also, DTL's need to visit regularly, there were a lot of times I noticed which we were more productive when we knew we were having a visit. STL's should also consider coming in at 4am more often.

Love it

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, nice atmosphere, amazing team-oriented work space

Cons

top secret stuff can get you into trouble and long, inconsistent hours

chill out

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average pay for students, but not for a full-time job

Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier, Guest Service, Electronics, Sales Floor in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy environment and tasks, you get a raise every year, and jobs skills required are minimum. The easiest retail store to work in.

Cons

They can throw you around many departments and demand that you cross-train for them. You might be doing Cashier or Guest Service, then Food Cafe the next day, then Sales Floor, but they RARELY give you a raise for working these different departments. Only if you are "scheduled there for more than 50% of your shifts", which they sneak around and try not to let happen. You end up being tossed around and have your skills used in many areas with no compensation.

-Raise is very minimal each year. Only 10-25 cents on average. Only good for temporary student jobs.
    -Your hours are NOT fixed. It's random every week with the availability frame you put in. Sometimes they
    -Since the tasks are so easy to do, it becomes extremely boring over time and your shifts can go by really slowly.
    -They expect cashiers to sign up customers for the target credit card, but we get no commission for anything for it.

Raise the wage.

Great team environment

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There lots of team building perks and inclusion. The smallest accomplishments merit awards and recognition.

Cons

Advancement is difficult. They tend to keep you in your position and pay grade, while adding ore responsibility. They are notorious for this.

Allow more room for actual growth to allow prospering, creating more committed employees.

Enjoyed it, sometimes hard but I liked it

Former Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER  in  Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - LOGISTICS FLOW TEAM MEMBER in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, second job, coworkers were great. I enjoyed working for logistics flow. They do try to listen to new ideas. I liked the company culture.

Cons

Hard to advance if you dont have degree or dont talk a lot I saw a lot of good hardworking people who didnt get promoted simply because they did not run their mouths off like the new managers did.

Promote those who do work hard andhave a good sense of what they are doing, not newbies who know how to talk lots but know nothing about work..

Target

I have been working at Target

Pros

Flexible with your schedule when needed.
    Friendly Culture

Cons

Hours & weekends can be tough
    Customers aren't always right.

Great company culture, but I personally did not like the role.

Former Employee - MP Business Analyst Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - MP Business Analyst Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, opportunities for advancement, work-life balance (Depending on the role), Feedback culture

Cons

The HQ has a tendency to be passive-agressive.

Decent place to work Target

I have been working at Target

Pros

Peers are great and team is good

Cons

things change slowly at Target

Could be way worse

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment with good supervisors who push you for your best work. Flexible schedule. A lot of hours available. Easy to take time off or request a leave of absence.

Cons

No advancement and very hard to cross train to other areas of the store. Wage starts out at minimum, and only have had an 18¢ raise in over a year of working with Target. Huge push for getting people to sign up for red cards; even if it means conning people into it... You are also told to get one red card every 4 hours, and can get fired for not getting enough. Focus should be more on guest happiness and less on selling them a credit or debit card.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!