Target Reviews

Reset
3.2
Brian Cornell
1,433 Ratings

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

12,501 Employee Reviews

Unrealistic expectations for leadership

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first started working for the company, they offered great benefits for part-time employees and I was able to work my way up quickly through the ranks and pay for my education. They really cared about the development and retention of it's employees, helping customers and being a national brand.

Cons

The last few years have really been unsteady for those who have been with the company for a number of years. Part-time employees no longer have benefits, hours are cut significantly to where most employees have multiple jobs, and are still expected to provide the same quality of service as before. Political games are being played constantly with a top and bottom performer for every leader. Even if you are the best at what you do, you still fall under the chopping block. There is no more incentive for employee loyalty. High turnover and corporate layoffs. There is also an unclear direction as to where the new CEO is leading the company.

Advice to Management

Target has been constantly chasing technological advances and launching new programs before they are currently tested and fully supported. They need to thoroughly look into what they are investing money in before rolling them out to the store level where the more recent programs have done nothing but add frustration, negativity, and less resources to stores that really need payroll and incentives to keep great employees with the company and to be able to share great experiences to keep customers coming back.

2. Great Experience

I have been working at Target

Pros

It really prepared me for the actual position. It also paid well compared to other internships I interviewed for.

Cons

The scheduling took some getting used to. Some of the team members with have been with the company for a long time tended to resent having an intern around.

Cashier

I worked at Target

Pros

Flexible on scheduling, 10% off employee discount, everyone is pretty chill, great first job.

Cons

Redcards...Target revolves around them.

5. Review from former GSTL

Former Employee - GSTL in Menifee, CA
    Former Employee - GSTL in Menifee, CA

I worked at Target (More than 8 years)

Pros

Target is great at home/life balance Worked with my school schedule well Safe and secure work place environment Fast, Fun and Friendly atmosphere Cared about the team culture

Cons

Retail hours (having to work holidays and swing shifts) Frustrating Customers More tasks without added payroll They only care about driving red cards, no matter what you did for the day nothing else matters if you didn't have redcards or if you didn't drive the team to get red cards.

Advice to Management

It should be a degree OR experience that allows you to grow with the company. It seems like Target only wants young and fresh out of college graduates running their stores. ( and I am in my 20s and feel this way). I worked with many people who had the drive, skill, and knowledge to move up and would make great leaders but they weren't able to without a degree.

6. Enjoying the work depends on the people.

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Bridgeton, MO
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Bridgeton, MO

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Leaving early so you have the rest of the day to do what you want - Employee Discount - Working with different people as well as being accepted

Cons

- Sometimes your work goes unnoticed - You don't get cross-trained unless THEY want you to do something else - Most of my "training" was learned from other employees, not from a TL/ETL - The job is only as enjoyable as the leader you work under

Advice to Management

Make sure you pay attention to who is in a leader position because a leader that constantly cracks the whip is very demotivating. Team members should be trained before doing ANYTHING in another department instead of being thrown in and expected to do something they've never done. Make sure hard work is not only noticed, but also appreciated.

Executive Team Leader

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working here, Its one of the best places to gain experience. You can also grow very rapidly all depending on your drive and ambition. This company is amazing. Very goal, team and family oriented all rolled into one. I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Working on holidays and 10-12hr shifts can get a bit overwhelming after a few years. I suggest would say this would be a perfect place for fresh new college graduates. If you have a family it can be challenging to juggle both. Not that it is impossible, but, sometimes it can feel that way. :)

8. Engineer Intern

I worked at Target

Pros

Fun work environment encourages employees to connect with one another

Cons

Not high need for engineers

9. Team Leader

Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours, flexible scheduling, leadership development.

Cons

Not all executives hired are top talent making it harder for all those under their alignment.

10. review

I worked at Target

Pros

easily managable, but also challenging job. flexible hours and good people to work with

Cons

sometimes you may have to work on holidays which may be inconvient, but it is managable

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

11. Consumables trainer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay, at least for the state of ks. It challenges me in a good way, so everyday i might do different tasks so it doesnt get repetitve, or I am challenged to do a better job by new goal set for short time limits if it is in fact a tak done every day. Friendly environment, excellent hr department that is very genuinely. Target helps you and the community not only with a 5 percent dodatków every week to different Claritin or organizatons in need, but also target has on site, involved team members and leader along with the highest ups from corporate have the option to go to different volunteer events. In other words target provide us and guide us with the opportunities and options of how we can make a better community and organizatons in need, and to top it off they make it exciting and fun!!

Cons

I do not agree with the so called at ten dance policy. They are so extremely strict with only taking 31 min exactly for our breaks, we have to clock in exactly when we are schedule not a min before or after that goes for clocking out to! Like wtf sometimes u r walking to clock out and stuff t happens in retail esp when working sales floor so its very difficult to be that punctual, at least for me. But not only all that but for ex ile worked there 9 months, never ever called in or left early or came in late, perfect at ten dance. I work along side a good two hand full of people i know for a fact have called in at Least 10 times each, not count ING if they clicked in early or late from lunch or for the day cuz i dont know all that but I know how badly they disrespect their managera by calling in over 10 times and have a i dont care attitude and the managera dont coach them or talk to them about it or warn them at all. Point being i called in when I was sick for the first time. E after 9 months working there i work full time but that day was only a 4 hr shift anyways so I decided to stay home cuz i just couldn't stop vomit ING. And what do you know, I get coaches 2 weeks later, I do not like how they treat people different, but I guess in a way I do like the fact that it makes me think they expect a lot more out of me and think highly of me, cuz the esp named Paige at my store was the one who coaches me but she loves me to death so u can see whatever side

Showing 12,501 of 12,653 reviews