Target Reviews

8,623 Reviews
3.1
8,623 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 268 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 734 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 602 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 732 reviews)

More Highlights

Target from the perspective of a backroom TM

Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Wesley Chapel, NC
    Current Employee - Backroom Team Member in Wesley Chapel, NC

I have been working at Target

Pros

Being able to work in a decent environment given that your co-workers are semi-competent, which at my store, hasn't been an issue so far.

Cons

Being retail, it gets fairly repetitive after a few months and the program used to give time-lines/goals is a bit outlandish at times. Also, under-staffing can be a large issue when working in the backroom because you feel the heat from your superiors if/when the backstock isn't finished prior to 11am, but in reality there's no reasonable way to get that done given how many people are present on truck days. Hours aren't always guaranteed and in some cases are funneled to a few individuals rather than spread out amongst the team.

Realize that RWT is not the end-all-be-all of statistics and while it should be used as a gauge of productivity, it is not always reliable.

In terms of development, can't beat this experience.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of money for the job, developmental and promotional opportunities, learning things about yourself that you cannot get anywhere else. If you have the mental fortitude, the ability to accept critical feedback, and a thick enough skin, you can nearly double your salary within 3 years. This isn't the job for people who are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity. I have seen many kids out there who get into a rough spot who start looking for a new job and don't fight through the struggles of the position. At the end of the day, the leadership team above you supports you and wants to see you succeed. If you are the type of person who would split and leave your peers and leaders high and dry because you don't have what it takes to make it through the tough times, don't consider Target as a place to start your career. If you start this journey, hold on and enjoy the ride!

Cons

Long hours, sometimes the minions are unruly...

I get it. I'd do what I could to retain the best and brightest. It's definitely not a glamourous job, but it has done wonders for me and my family.

Ok to work as long as you can kiss butt

Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility
    Team members great
    Great for people who work with little directiom

Cons

STL is too young
    Favoritism from STL to SrTLs and ETL
    Heavy workload without proper support
    Hours cut to make bonuses
    Unprofessional ETLs
    HR knows nothing about HR

Hold people accountable for what's not getting done. DTLS need to come work in each store for a week and really see how the store operates on reduced hours. Promote from within instead of hiring over confident college kid who ends up getting fired a month later

I love it. Of course like any other job its hard work.

Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member Seasonal in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member Seasonal in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Target full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because I work overnight I get a 50 cents raise. From 11pm til 12am I make 9.50/hr and from 12am-8am I make 10/hr.

Cons

Its a lot of work as far as stocking and you have to keep the pressure going because it has to be completed before the store opens.

No advice. Great management !

Good Company, but changing

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Salary
    Friendly team, friendly Guests

Cons

Extreme payroll constraints make the job challenging. Very micromanaged by corporate. Not a lot of entrepreneurial spirit.

Great leadership program for college students

Former Employee - Executive Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at Target as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

At 20 years old and halfway through my undergrad, I was leading and managing a Target Store for periods of time as an Executive Intern. The company invests a lot in personal development and growth, something I admire. Overall, the culture is terrific, it paid well and I learned a lot.

Cons

Hours are miserable. Since you're training to be an assistant store manager, you're expected to come in for whatever hours your mentor has. For instance, 4am until 12pm shifts, 4pm until 12:30pm shifts, etc. are randomly assigned. Harsh politics too on which Target Store you work at (I had to commute 45min each way... ugh).

Please listen to the requests of team members in which store to place them!

Great company, fun, and fast-paced!

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Providence, RI

I worked at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Target is a great workplace that keeps team members engaged. I was able to cross-train into multiple departments and teams to learn other sides of the business. Management worked hard to deliver Target's well-known guest experience, and it's a store that you feel proud to work at.

Cons

Hours are not guaranteed to part-timers; however it's usually easy to pick up extra hours prior to the holidays if you prove to be a great team member.

Target has an excellent work culture; leadership should continue to foster healthy team environments, team member engagement, and also keep rewarding for great performance. Also remember not to pass up team members for job promotions who are capable rather than looking externally for certain positions.

Not a bad place to get started or get finished

Current Employee - Team Trainer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Team Trainer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Independent decision, and ownership of projects. Able to initiate change.

Cons

Getting feedback about change beyond store level... they try to be transparent but fail in most cases. Quite a few store-level Executives who think the team members are in high school and micro manage.

Delegate task. Offer advice. Let it happen. Almost never is how many things can be done 'one way'. Communicate directly... use paper and pen to take and make notes.

Working at target has been a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Brand Team Member
    Current Employee - Brand Team Member

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The number one pro you get to meet new people everyday. You also learn about the new trends and get to help people. You also get to do some fun task when it comes to merchandising.

Cons

The schedule can be hectic and change from week to week. You have to be very open and flexible.

Communication is key!

Target Management Training

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead

I have been working at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Provide quality leadership training but not exceptional. They try to create an open, fast, fun, and friendly atmosphere. The effort is appreciated when recognizing team members . Management for the most part works every other weekend which is rare is retail.

Cons

Long hours and sometimes overworked. Schedule seems to be constantly changing with the wind. Family/work balance is tough especially around the holidays.

Become more personable with entire team versus just with ETL's