Target Reviews

8,777 Reviews
3.1
8,777 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 276 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 757 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 613 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 740 reviews)

More Highlights

Salary is great, but hit or miss on individual store culture and supervisor.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits and emphasis on work/life balance. If you're fresh out of college, Target will teach you how to be a leader and give you invaluable leadership experience, as well as business knowledge.

Cons

Upward movement through the company is based on the perception of senior management and not on actual work performance or results. Once you've been pigeonholed as not having potential for promotion, it's difficult to move beyond that and receive attention or be considered at a later date. Being able to speak well on a visit or in an interview is more highly valued and rewarded than solid results and green workcenters.

Take work performance and results into consideration when identifying high potential team mmembers at any level.

In terms of development, can't beat this experience.

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of money for the job, developmental and promotional opportunities, learning things about yourself that you cannot get anywhere else. If you have the mental fortitude, the ability to accept critical feedback, and a thick enough skin, you can nearly double your salary within 3 years. This isn't the job for people who are willing to throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity. I have seen many kids out there who get into a rough spot who start looking for a new job and don't fight through the struggles of the position. At the end of the day, the leadership team above you supports you and wants to see you succeed. If you are the type of person who would split and leave your peers and leaders high and dry because you don't have what it takes to make it through the tough times, don't consider Target as a place to start your career. If you start this journey, hold on and enjoy the ride!

Cons

Long hours, sometimes the minions are unruly...

I get it. I'd do what I could to retain the best and brightest. It's definitely not a glamourous job, but it has done wonders for me and my family.

Not a bad place to get started or get finished

Current Employee - Team Trainer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Team Trainer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Independent decision, and ownership of projects. Able to initiate change.

Cons

Getting feedback about change beyond store level... they try to be transparent but fail in most cases. Quite a few store-level Executives who think the team members are in high school and micro manage.

Delegate task. Offer advice. Let it happen. Almost never is how many things can be done 'one way'. Communicate directly... use paper and pen to take and make notes.

Great leadership program for college students

Former Employee - Executive Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at Target as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

At 20 years old and halfway through my undergrad, I was leading and managing a Target Store for periods of time as an Executive Intern. The company invests a lot in personal development and growth, something I admire. Overall, the culture is terrific, it paid well and I learned a lot.

Cons

Hours are miserable. Since you're training to be an assistant store manager, you're expected to come in for whatever hours your mentor has. For instance, 4am until 12pm shifts, 4pm until 12:30pm shifts, etc. are randomly assigned. Harsh politics too on which Target Store you work at (I had to commute 45min each way... ugh).

Please listen to the requests of team members in which store to place them!

Great company, fun, and fast-paced!

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Providence, RI

I worked at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Target is a great workplace that keeps team members engaged. I was able to cross-train into multiple departments and teams to learn other sides of the business. Management worked hard to deliver Target's well-known guest experience, and it's a store that you feel proud to work at.

Cons

Hours are not guaranteed to part-timers; however it's usually easy to pick up extra hours prior to the holidays if you prove to be a great team member.

Target has an excellent work culture; leadership should continue to foster healthy team environments, team member engagement, and also keep rewarding for great performance. Also remember not to pass up team members for job promotions who are capable rather than looking externally for certain positions.

Heading in wrong direction with wrong focuses

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary...makes it hard to look outside the company

Cons

Focused on wrong things, used to be better positionef by putting guests first

Focus on customer...not redcard goals

Great.

I have been working at Target

Pros

Coworkers, pay, hours, guests, and vibe.

Cons

Lack of celebrations, spirit in volunteering.

More activities.

Very good for a young guy to start and establish himself from begining and be committed, gain experience....

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Target

Pros

Flexible schedule, comfortable. Good options.

Cons

Working to fast, sometimes dont know what do. Also pay is low to some tough positions

Be strong encouraging, there are people who actually work hard but dont look like it, not saying you should promote anybody just try to appreciate and trust your employee so the job can be efficient.....

Good

Former Employee - In-Stock Team Member in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - In-Stock Team Member in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work and okay pay

Cons

Holiday time is the worst around black friday

NON

Solid company with typical institutional blindness

I worked at Target

Pros

Target has some smart young folks working for them. Their management tends to be thoughtful without being overbearing, although sometimes they can be rough around the edges.

Cons

Like any company, you'll have managers who have been there forever and are difficult to work with because they will never leave or never listen. Retail also presents the typical "working with people" problems, although Target is less onerous than most because they really encourage you to be on the customers side and do not penalize you if you're trying to do the right thing.

Try to recognize the potential talent yoin your employees. I was there with a full college degree making nothing and was willing to advance there, but another company found me first. Target had a great opportunity in me and lost it. They tend to let those college kids go. They're gold--give them a reason to consider Target.