Target

Target Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.2 7,756 reviews

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights
7,756 Employee Reviews

Great Job for teens

Target Team Member (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsGreat pay. and great work enviroment

ConsCut of hours during non seasonal time

Work Experience

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDefinitely recommend this place as a starter job. Everyone is friendly all they care about is the guest and trying to makes them feel comfortable. They have little recognitions meetings.

ConsIt was seasonal, so everything had to be fast pace. The slower workers would get called out if they were doing there job slow.

Fun company, but a challenge to be noticed

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsUnlimited sick days, which is brilliant considering most people on average take less than what would otherwise be offered at other companies. It was also very easy to work remotely if need be on said sick days.

Target is very team oriented - depending on the team and division you're placed in, you could have a very terrible experience or an incredibly fun experience. You have meetings, eat lunch, and go to happy hours with your team. I didn't enjoy my training team as much and considered quitting a few times, but decided to stick it out. I'm glad I did because the team I was placed in was great and helped me build confidence in my abilities.

There is a very deep feedback culture, which I personally do enjoy. It's not easy hearing that you framed something up poorly, or that nobody could hear what you were saying because you were too quiet, but as long as they are tangible things to work on, why wouldn't you want to improve upon them? It might not be the best method for everyone, but I found it very helpful.

The division I worked in was very fun, and we frequently had FFF (fast fun and friendly) division-wide events that got us out of the office. For example, we would volunteer together, go to Twins games, or raise money for charity through a dodgeball competition. Work life balance was really great, and most people were out by noon on Fridays if there was nothing to do.

Definitely a challenging role that teaches you the ins and outs of the business. I by-passed 5 years of allocation roles in the Retail industry with my 1.5 years at Target, showing just how in-depth the training is and how transferable the skills are.

ConsMost people that come in as a Business Analyst are very accomplished, bright, eager people, which makes it a very fun environment to work in. It also makes it incredibly difficult to stand out. You start to realize that it's not about how awesome your project it, it's about how you SELL your story to others. It becomes about who's tightest with their Director and other Managers on the floor, not necessarily who's the most accomplished.

Networking is incredibly important, and I know that's something I always needed to work on. Rubbing elbows with people I am generally not interested in getting to know does not appeal to me, and it's tiring to force it to get a promotion. I hear that there's a back-up in the pipeline and there are minimal promotions as of late, making the competition even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to hear the complaints of your direct reports, and make a conscious effort to promote positive change. There is a fit for everyone at Target, you just need to make the effort. The happier and more comfortable your team is with each other, the better they will work together. So call the babysitter and go on that all-night ragefest... your team will thank you!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay place to start for retail.

Team Member (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL

ProsEasy to get in. Cross training in multiple departments gets you a lot of experience. Open door policy allows you to talk to the heads of the store about concerns.

ConsThey attempt to cut payroll pretty often and when they do you can lose some of your hours.
    Customers can be insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement styles can vary store to store, the people in charge rotate every so often. Some are great so have no concept of management. Saying get it done even when the hours are cut by 20%. Heads of Target are not taking it in the right direction.

Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at Target was awesome. only 5hr shifts, I was able to work somewhere else with no problem, as able to pick up shifts with no problem at all.

ConsI feel dont have anything bad to say about Target, it was really a joy working there.

Awesome Internship

Executive Intern (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Proslearned a lot
    lots of responsibility
    ownership of my experience

Consworking weekends/ retail hours
    helping with sales floor merchandising

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay engaged with the team!

Good job

Cashier (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

Prosfriendly work place, work with personal schedule , good discounts, good stepping stone into retail

ConsCould use bonuses, Hire more friendly people, No pto, no work benefits

Good company

Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee)

ProsTarget has a great culture and good benefits. Amazing community support and opportunity for advancement. Policies are administered fairly and consistently.

ConsWorking for Target headquarters and not living in Minnesota means a lot of conference calls early in the morning and a lot of travel to Minnesota.

Pretty positive but demanding

Target Electronics Team Member (Current Employee) Ypsilanti, MI

Pros10% team member discount on nearly everything in store, flexible scheduling, better than minimum wage pay.

ConsTLs can be cliquey, can be hard to move up if you don't have a degree

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your hard working team members more! Realize that by us asking every guest about redcards that we're doing our job and there's nothing more that we can do!

Company with a unique anf fun culture!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFilled with young people to become friends with who are very outgoing, smart, and ambitious. Also, it's relatively easy to move across pyramids and departments within the company if you are supported and have the necessary skills, even if you haven't 'grown up' in the area.

ConsPeople can be very passive aggressive and the company is so larget that it's difficult to me nimble and really affect positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a clear strategy and team structure that actually makes sense to those executing work.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!