Target Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

2,132 Employee Reviews

1. Packer

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

Group Leaders are very friendly, nice and understanding. Everybody who works there are great people! I loved everybody!

Cons

Hard, hard work- 12hour shifts. Hours are horrible for the pay you get. You have to meet a certain amount of numbers per day. They count your numbers by the things you touch by the hour. Overall it is a good job if you like this kind of work, but it just wasn't for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Wouldn't recommend

Pros

Quick money Flexible schedule Good first job

Cons

Bad management Bad hiring screening

3. Soft lines Team Member

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Discount, people are nice, pay is decent, positive recognition towards employees.

Cons

Unorganized, unprofessional, completely avoided my availability, did not give proper training, heavy workload.

Advice to Management

Communicate with all Team Leaders so we can all understand what is going on and always have someone around. Most of the time it's hard to get to management.

5. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to being a cashier. The 10% discount is worthless, there is no air conditioning in the front end of the Target I work at. Inability to move to sales floor when there is always a position available with new people hired everyday.

Cons

HR is a joke favors certain people impossible to switch departments. Redcard harassment with no incentive. Made to feel worthless. GSTL is the biggest clowns in the store. The position you apply for is not always the position you will be offered based on the mood the HR is in. GSTL will sit and talk with other coworkers while everyone piles in one lane and is just a pointless company to work for.

Advice to Management

Pay the cashiers a little more hardlines is the best and easiest and cashier is by far the worst most boring and are meant to feel worthless. Turnover rate extremely high new people everyday. Management only cares about redcards and looking good for the district manager and forced to lie about the daily procedures.

6. Not fast, fun and friendly

Current Employee - Team Member Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is flexibility to an extent with scheduling needs and for the most part, its the team members and some team leads/lods that make the place bearable to work.

Cons

No such thing as full time and if you want to pick up more hours you have to be beyond flexible and basically be on call, benefits have gone downhill and overall the company's focus Is no longer on work/life balance and the fast fun and friendly culture they preach. Instead they treat the employee's that have been with them for years with no respect or gratefulness. It has become another corporate greed company that is more concerned about making the almighty dollar for the "corporate leaders" than those that actually put in the sweat and blood (literally sometimes) for the company and the "guests" that shop here.

Advice to Management

It's a billion dollar company, you could afford to treat your employees better, give better pay, hours and benefits and true advancement opportunities, not advancement based on if someone is "best friends" with upper management instead of actually having the experience and skills to do the job.

7. Exactly what you would expect

Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Flow Team Member in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I always get at least 20 hours a week, also got hired by just applying online. It's also incredibly difficult to get fired. Oh, and occasionally they give you free drinks.

Cons

Loads of corporate bs, Received next to no training at all and had to learn by trial and error, no benefits, no bonuses, virtually zero incentive to put in any extra effort, there is not a single part of this job which I enjoy whatsoever. I was even shown a creepy and mildly intimidating anti-union video at orientation. If anything, there's actually more of an incentive to put in less effort in trying to stock the shelves quickly, since the longer it takes only leads to more hours.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of actually training your employees, offer some sort of incentive to your employees if you realistically expect them to want to work effectively.

8. unloader

Pros

unload trucks in the morning

Cons

gave me the hours i wanted

9. Maintenance Mechanic DC

Former Employee - Mechanic in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Mechanic in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, adequate benefits, nice people and good culture.

Cons

Extremely poor and lazy management. Extremely poor training, management does not want to take no part in what goes on with mechanic training. Senior mechanics withhold information and materials.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced group leaders

10. Target employment

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers more then anything. I also liked the 10% discount that I got as an employee.

Cons

No advancement opportunities. Cheap. Low pay. Hardly any recognition. No benefits or bonuses. Just not a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging employees and reward the employees that work hard. Also, stop being cheap with raises and start adding bonuses.

11. Mehhhhh

Pros

I will have to struggle with this but I guess it would be a good place to get experience as a first job.

Cons

I've learned a few things working at target. 1. They will over work you with no extra benefit for you. 2. They will "cross train" you meaning make you do other jobs in target that you weren't originally supposed to do. 3. Expect to be doing a job that would normally require twice the manpower.

Showing 2,132 of 13,389 reviews