Target

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

(3,349 ratings)

6,711 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"
    in 204 reviews
  • "the interview process is different, but I always work with great team members"
    in 585 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance has gone down hill in the last 6 months with some structure changes"
    in 438 reviews
  • "I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions"
    in 558 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ok.

I have been working at Target

Pros6am to 230pm schedule is a quick workday

Consopportunities for advancement seem limitied

Good money, bad atmosphere.

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are Amazing people who work at Target. I don't mean at the Executive level and higher, I mean the Team Members and Team Leaders. These are hardworking and dedicated people that you can't find at many retailers.

ConsI worked in the Oklahoma district as an Executive Team Lead for about 2 years. If you don't mind your morals and ethics being challenged and just want to make some money, this could be the place for you. The expectations are unreachable in most cases and to be promoted you have to be bubbly, a good liar, and have a personal relationship with management. Overall, the pay was good but I couldn't stomach how upper management was treating the people who are doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your hands dirty, thank the Team, and stop making the Team cheat to reach your unrealistic expectations.

Learn lots while you're there- but don't stay

Executive Team Leader - Logistics (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsRelationships with peers and the overall training program. You will learn to lead over 100+ people which is cool for a fresh out of college graduate. You will learn to handle all kinds of situations as a manager and will grow tremendously as a professional.

Cons-Be prepared for having NO life whatsoever. When winter comes, you will never see the light of day working 10-12+ hour days. Thanksgiving dinner you will not get to spend with your family- you will be stressed out Christmas Eve, and work New Years as well.
-You also need to learn how to function on about 4 hours of sleep. Closing the store at 11pm at night then needing to be back at 6am to open can be brutal with a longer commute.
-There will be complete unrealistic expectations with the amount of time it takes to complete your job. You will never get your job 100% done, and there's always more to do. I never felt a good sense of accomplishment in my role.
-They do offer vacation- it accumulates very slow, you need to work 1 year to accum. 2 weeks, also you are eligible for bonuses- but that is if your store is doing well. I worked in a low volume store and my bonus was about $100. ha!
-Also, your review has nothing to do with you- but on how well your store is performing. If your store is suffering, your review will be disappointing no matter what.
-When you leave the company they are "cult-like" and will completely disown you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pay is not enough for the hours worked.
Also wish it was easier to terminate bottom performing employees.
If you do not want ETL turnover, lessen the workload- its simply too much to handle.

All the team member at target are great. I love it.

Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee)
Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone's so friendly and very helpful.

ConsSometimes there's not enough workers and the store gets really hectic but we still manager to keep the store organized and clean.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of different opportunity to help you grow as a sales assiocate.

Not what I thought they'd be

I have been working at Target

ProsTeam members I became friends with. The employee discount. It was a great opportunity to get back in the work force.

ConsThe outright favoritism is very unprofessional. The degrading of team members and the level of drama with upper management is pathetic.

Senior team lead

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time

Prosif your at a store with a good culture and store manager its enjoyable driving the goals

Consmaking a negative turn towards less employees in leadership roles and more work to get completed which is never a good move.

Nice place to work

Cafe Team Member - Food Service (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, good pay, friendly people

ConsLittle chance for upward movement

Quick Promotion, but retail isn't the best

Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee)
Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a company Target is very willing to develop team members who show promise, dedication and drive. I was promoted after just a year. Decent raise. You definitely learn a lot and grow as a person after the experiences you have working day to day from guest interactions to the processes and culture of Target.

ConsIt is retail, so the hours are terrible, holidays are terrible. The store is huge so you have to walk what sometimes seems like 10 miles everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems like there is less emphasis put on training then their should be.

Unfulfilling

Flow Team Member (Former Employee)
Liverpool, NY

I worked at Target part-time for more than 5 years

ProsPhysical activity and working as a team.

ConsPre-dawn shifts, very laborious, lack of hours and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a huge corporation, I don't feel the little man is valued. I've even heard health benefits to part time employees are being cut. If you can't "afford" to pay your workers a decent rate, you should at least supply them with FREE health insurance.

Miserable

Electronics Team Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of great coworkers, crappy people don't last, unless they're in managment

ConsWorst hourly rate in retail, and that's saying something. I've worked there for three years and I still don't make 9 dollars an hour. You get a raise every year! My first one was 7 cents! My 2nd was 30! The shifts are sporadic and change week to week, any special time off needs approval two weeks in advance, calling out is taboo and you will see your hours drop if you do it. Never allowed to hit 40 hours, I'm usually kept at 39.5 at the highest but even that is rare. The insurance is awful, the HR is made of senior management so its incredibly biased and not a good resource for humans. There is ABSOLUTELY NO room to be promoted in this company. They are 100% more likely to hire a 22 year old fresh out of college with little to no REAL WORK EXPERIENCE, than they are to promote a loyal employee with a wealth of knowledge and experience. So the entry level guys like myself have to spend their time training someone who is supposed to be your boss, then doing their work for them so they get their bonuses and you get your 7 cent raise at the end of the year. Worst three years of my life, nothing to show for it.
(Target hates unions)

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to hell

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 6,711 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.