Target

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

(3,365 ratings)

6,747 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"
    in 204 reviews
  • "the interview process is different, but I always work with great team members"
    in 585 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance has gone down hill in the last 6 months with some structure changes"
    in 438 reviews
  • "I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions"
    in 558 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good School Job

Overnight Flow Team Member (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation is good as well as on the job training.
The benefits are helpful for those that work enough to qualify for them.

ConsStores are constantly shifting the way that they have things arranged.
Moreover, because it is a large store, individual training sometimes is overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management should have a better communication with all of its team members. It seems as though the only way that we often receive news is through other employees.

Expect to bring work home and work on multiple additional sub-committees and projects

Group Leader - DC (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat executive training.
Strong peer relationships

ConsContinuously handed busy work, side projects, and responsibilities outside of job descprition
Little to no recognition from senior management
Promised room for growth and advancement, but rarely given and heavily reliant on office politics

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Group Leaders with respect
Hire promotions from the floor with those who have floor experience and not through HR.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

SuperTarget sales floor associate

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly staff, managers easy to work with, they will only schedule you the times you specify since schedule is done online, and they can't override the system, helping out customers/guests

ConsPay too low to make this a career choice, good for extra $$ but they pay too low per hour (8.35), I was a seasonal employee, then worked hard enough to become a regular employee, BUT NO INCREASE IN HOURLY WAGE!!!! Occasional opportunities for other positions in store, which could mean more hours, but same low hourly rate!! So If you become a bakery employee, no increase in pay.... Also, even if you are a supervisor with a degree, they won't let you rise too high to an ETL, they only want NEW COLLEGE GRADS, SO YOU CAN HAVE A 22 YEAR OLD BOSSING AROUND TEAM MEMBERS IN THEIR 40'S TO 60'S!!! They go to college recruitment job fairs to find their management team members, but even if you are experienced with a degree or two, you will never be considered unless you are young, no family, and perky!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Target's wage a livable wage!! 8.35 an hour is barely above minimum wage in Texas, and if you are a single dad, Target is not an option!!!! Stop discriminating against older workers with degrees and experience, maybe we would like to work hard for your store and look forward to being promoted! It's kind of insulting when you have college interns ordering team members around, and them walking around like they are better than thou....not even knowing what education we have (I have 3 degrees)!!!! I liked the other team members, but everyone complains about the low hourly rate....

Better than some other retail jobs.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Albany, NY

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is better than min. wage, they are also really good with flexible scheduling. The benefits include a 15% discount to the store, and healthcare for full time employees.

ConsSometimes breaks run rather short, and sometimes they would cut hours back if they went over, leaving some busy days understaffed.

Very fast paced.

I have been working at Target

ProsWorking in group setting. Great employee discounts. Great coworkers. Opportunities to grow and learn different job functions.

ConsToo many bosses not enough time to complete work. Takes forever to earn benefits like time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore involvement with team members. Management changes way to frequently.

Competitive but not collaborative

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat teams, exciting work, ability to impact business

ConsAdvancement is random and pathway unclear, interview processes is extremely limiting

It was a good job at the moment

Cashier (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

ProsNever too high maintenance, a good cheap with well pay

ConsManagement wasn't the most helpful or caring

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to help those who work for you

great working environment

I have been working at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsI feel that training and development are strong aspects of working here.

ConsSometimes staffing can be a problem but overall Target does a good job of allocating resources efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to continue to foster a culture that embraces quality brands and products for consumers.

Great company to grow and learn from.

Team Leader - Logistics (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork Life balance (allows you to take vacations and switch shifts with peers). Room for growth (Learning and placement is always shifting until you reach executive position then its a wait). Benefits and company discounts.

ConsTo get to the next level you have to train yourself. Not everyone is willing to see you succeed in promotion. lack of training and prepping.

Awful

I have been working at Target

ProsGet to work with and meet many new people.

ConsManagers have no idea what they are doing. There is no consistency among managers and what they want you to do. Awful pay, it's not competitive with most similar jobs in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Improve the use of technology, everything is outdated in our building. The turnover is awful here, make more effort to keep talent.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 6,747 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.