Target

Target President, CEO, and Director Gregg W. Steinhafel

Gregg W. Steinhafel

(3,340 ratings)

6,691 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)"
    in 180 reviews
  • "the interview process is different, but I always work with great team members"
    in 535 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is difficult to maintain, each store has a different culture"
    in 384 reviews
  • "They usually hire external candidates instead of promoting experienced team members"
    in 512 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast Fun and Friendly Team

I worked at Target full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Training in your position

ConsBetter work life balance for overnight ETL's

Really going downhill

Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOK benefits, corporate perks (free music concerts, etc), employee discount, decent salary for HQ positions, convenient to bus lines and other transportation

Consnot family friendly, high expectations of employees, benefits could be greater, horrid corporate culture, until recently, required business dress even when it wasn't appropriate, VERY difficult to get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing people who actually do something other than marketing or merchandising. It's important that you have

Fortunate than Others

Consumables Team Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was fortunate to work with the company for 7+ years. I worked in District 205. Great Leadership at the store I worked at. I trusted my HR team and they had a fantastic open-door policy.

Many cross-training opportunites for different departments. The more you are crossed-trained the more hours you're likely to get.

Start a little above minimum wage: cashier/sales floor about $8.50. Specialized positions such as Electronics Department $9.00 (Note: this is within District 205)

Target contributes to education programs for kids.

ConsConsidering that it is retail, there isn't the best work-life balance especially during the holidays. The past two years HQ decided to open early evening on Thanksgiving Day for "Black Friday" shopping. This is unfortunate for people who spend their evenings with family.

Training: Need more training for newly hired employees (putting them 4 hours at a cashier should not be considered training)

What I saw my last year of employment:

They hire students straight out of college (most if not all with no retail experince and hardly any customer experince) for Executive Team Leader. They do have an internship for about 3 months and within District 205 most ETL's seemed incompetent. I was fortunate enough to work at a store with experinced ETLs. During my last year there, they were promoted and newbies (college students) were brought in. Runied everything.

Leadership at District 205, there is favortism. And they're not afraid to hide it. Fortunately, they do hire within but just to a Team Leader position (Supervisor of a department) after that, if you're not favored then you're just stuck there.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the favortism and add more training if you would like your stores to succeed within the district.

it was fine

I worked at Target

ProsThere were a lot of very nice people that worked there. They were nice to us

ConsThere was long hours. Sometimes I felt very overwelhmed with work like there was too much to do.

Boooo

I have been working at Target

ProsOnly great thing great here was one manager, Vincent who made everything pleasant, he's so bubbly and willing to help anyone no matter how busy he was .

Consthe store manager is horrible and screams and yells at workers on the floor.

Was an okay job.

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

ProsWasn't too much work, I did stocking which was nice. Didn't have to work too much with people.

ConsPay is somewhat low and hours are hard to come by.

Guest Service Team Leader

Guest Service Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

ProsGiven freedom to lead the front end within reason. Great opportunity to get hands on with guest and team members developing management skills.

ConsThe requirement to up-sell, and sell bank cards can be daunting for most cashiers, and you are responsible for ensuring they make their non-quota. Working every other weekend and one night a week can be tiring depending on extra curricular activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the team members, develop a mentor-ship program so team members want to be at work, not just collect a paycheck. Team leaders take the time every other week asking questions about the team, and store, and rarely are able to tell team members their responses are taken seriously.

Company doesn't favor internal promotions

Distribution Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe DC compensation is pretty good; I'm not sure about the stores. Target offers great insurance plans along with 401K and pension. It's also nice being paid weekly and having a set work schedule.

ConsHourly-to-salary promotions are very difficult. Target would rather hire college recruits without professional experience for executive-level positions instead of promote from within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pass up on promoting educated, qualified team members.

I liked working at target. I got to meet a lot of friendly people.

I have been working at Target

ProsHelping out the Guest in the store.
Worked with my team members.

ConsI have no cons for this job.

Started out fantastic, but has gone downhill the past few years.

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee)
DFW, TX

I worked at Target full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe team members are great, but obviously you can control who you hire. Very team oriented culture, while also driving great customer service. Fun atmosphere and never a dull moment.

ConsPay seemed comparable, but raises were getting lower and lower each year. Benefits also got worse. Flexible scheduling can negatively impact your outside life. Tighter payroll constrictions meant lots of long days for salaried leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has been a shift in driving and managing reports vs driving sales and managing the business. The numbers are supposed to reflect and support sales, but in many stores and districts it has become more important to make the bumbers look good than to actually be delivering on that level.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Target CEO Gregg W. Steinhafel. All 6,691 reviews posted anonymously by Target employees.