Target Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
10434 reviews filtered by

1. Solid company overall, with lots of talented people.

Current Employee - HQ Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - HQ Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

Great work life balance, with no night or weekend work in HQ. Most people work about 8:00 - 5:00, and occasionally even slip out earlier.

Cons

Super passive aggressive midwest culture. Too many meetings before the meeting where the real decisions are made, and very conflict averse culture in general.

Reduce complexity, eliminate layers and make decisions more quickly. There are still too many people doing too little work.

2. Fun, positive experience

I worked at Target

Pros

fun atmosphere in an interesting industry

Cons

lots of processes that are a waste of time

3. Targét

I have been working at Target

Pros

Great team environment surrounded by very smart people.

Cons

Long hours. Tedious work. Many layers of approval!

5. Great company; not sure where it's headed right now

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture; loved having the flexibility to do many different jobs within the same umbrella; great talent focus in most pyramids

Cons

Things are pretty unsettled there right now...seems like the kind of place you might want to be at in 2 years when they get themselves straightened out.

Be careful not to change too much, too fast. There's ripping off the band aid, and then there's taking the whole arm with it. You're spending an awful lot of your "team focused" capital right now - you need to do something to earn some of it back.

6. I loved my job and I loved the energy at Target. It was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target

Pros

I loved the people, the style of the brand and the energy.

Cons

You have to work very hard (which I love). Reviews and other silly processes get in the way of getting the work done.

Pay attention to the talent that you layoff. Target lost some incredible talent in the recent layoffs. Some big losses for teams, the work and the company.

7. Great focus on leadership development, poor work life balance

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Strong focus on developing personal leadership skills
    -recruit straight from Campus with competitive salary
    -fun people to work with; Target loves friendly, vibrant people
    -great culture overall

Cons

-poor work life balance, long hours and weekends with little regard to personal needs or desires
    -easy to get "stuck" in one particular store as it often takes a long time to transfer to new location-however, when its best for the company will up and move you to new location out of nowhere without making it seem like you have a say in this new location.

Make an effort to be flexible with Executives, happy employees are long lasting employees. Making effort to show that you care about their personal well being, not solely the metrics they produce, will help them want to stay with the company and reduce the high turnover.

8. Overall positive

Former Employee - Business Partner in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Partner in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Target has a very young and welcoming culture that focuses on development of employees. I worked in a department that focused on broad projects that impacted thousands of field team members. Projects were challenging and allowed for multiple partnerships across the company. Work-life balance was always prioritized.

Cons

There is a strong emphasis on partnering with people in other departments which sometimes delayed project timelines to get all approvals. Some areas don't have strong succession plans or career paths established making it hard to promote.

9. good pay, good schedule.

Current Employee - Inbound in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Inbound in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

for topeka ks the pay here is good and the schedules are good to work for with a family.

Cons

no opportunity to grow in the company just to move from dept. to dept.

more opportunity to move up in the distribution

10. I learned a lot during my time, but did not always feel valued for my contributions.

I worked at Target

Pros

Energetic and inclusive culture, that focused heavily on personal development. The benefits and team member discount was a huge plus.

Cons

I felt there was a lot of red tape around promotions, especially if you went from a hourly position to exempt.

All employees with direct reports should be trained on how to lead development discussions in order to further grow talent pool

11. Great company to work for with some caveats

Former Contractor - Insights Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Insights Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Very friendly and open to diverse team members, and with a great emphasis on growth through flexible placement.

Cons

Overwhelming social pressures imposed. Introverts beware! You will need to be likable to be considered good at what you are doing for the most part. Lack of productivity and work ethic can be covered up with networking/social astuteness.