Target

Target Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.2 7,761 reviews

John J. Mulligan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 232 reviews)

• This can be attributed to the young population of team members at headquarters (in 664 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 517 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 652 reviews)

More Highlights
7,761 Employee Reviews

It was pretty good

Cashier (Former Employee) Paramus, NJ

Prosgood hours, pretty good starting pay for a retail job, room for advancement if you choose to stay with the company. I worked there for a summer during college was satisfied with the amount of hours they gave me and how much I was getting paid. The employees were friendly and helpful and there was plenty of training.

Conslong hours standing at register, can be boring, have to always look busy, can stay until late at night after store closes to clean up.

HR Team Member

Human Resources Team Member (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat entry level Human resource generalist position. Company has a lot of written policies and procedures that help you understand and learn the job.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement. You can not be a a manager without a 4 year degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetail experience should be considered rather than solely a Bachelor's degree. Most people start in retail at low wages making paying for college impossible without incurring huge debt. Management wages are to low to offset cost of college.

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat training and good benefits

Consthe hours with school schedule were tough to work with

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very informative and, great learning experience, excellent training.

Executive Intern (Former Employee)

ProsTarget offered an incredible training program where interns were allowed to work in every department of the store and experience what it takes to run a large retail store. There was lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsBecause it is such a large corporation some of their standards and rules were very strict. I didn't experience much of an office culture.

Sales Floor Employee

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Machesney Park, IL

ProsGreat place to learn customer service skills. Great exercise...you are always moving!

ConsNot much room for advancement. Retail hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly Environment to work in. Had a bunch of fun coworkers who made my stay with Target the best. I would have worked there longer if I had the ability to.

ConsScheduling was pretty bad as I had a hard time switching my schedules with other people when I really needed to. Nonetheless, I enjoyed working there.

Great place to start out.. not long term.

Associate Technical Designer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat place to jump start my career as a young professional. Love the people on my team.

ConsOnly 2 weeks vacation until 5 years
    location is hard for people out of state.
    Lots of politics involved.
    Compensation is OK.. but makes it hard for transplants to afford to travel home for holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many politics involved to let me do my job. I find myself spending more time keeping up and playing the game.

My experience was good

Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsGood for a student to get a little work experience.

ConsFloor worker is not a satisfying job for the long term

I had more good days than bad days working for Target.

Executive Team Leader - Logistics (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe people made it an enjoyable experience, but the pay was nice, too.

ConsRetail is inherently a frustrating world, but Target seemed to find ways to make the job more frustrating than it had to be. By the end, the biggest challenge I faced was just enduring all of the unnecessary corporate nonsense; the job itself was not terribly difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNepotism is rarely the most effective way of developing a strong management team, as may be evidenced by the series of recent large-scale failures within the company.

Good training internship

Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) Albany, OR

ProsMaking more than average internships, and learning how a large corporation works. Good culture, values and training. Overall good experience to learn retail.

ConsWorking in a Target every day is exhausting. The potential for growth is there but it will take a while to climb the corporate ladder.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!