Target Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Work life balance is understood (in 286 reviews)

• Most team members are awesome people (in 770 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance has taken a huge hit over the past 12 months (in 638 reviews)

• Their paranoia over metrics or the annual audit corporate conducts yearly create unnecessary chaos that trickles downstream to your team members (in 753 reviews)

1. Seemingly good position at time of hiring, not the case

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, easy red and khaki wardrobe requirement, 10% discount on merchandise, nice team members at lower levels of organizational chart

Cons

Tough hours (50-60 hours a week, inconsistent start/end times i.e. Off at 1AM, back by 8 AM next day, weekend shifts every other week), poor store team leader management

Advice to Management

Be careful who is hired as store team leaders. I know of other ETLs in my same position that had drastically different experience based mostly on who their STL was. Also, work with stores to allow them to increase coverage at store during busy times. Store had consistent new traffic but executives had hands tied in terms of adding more hours due to payroll constraints.

2. Decent enough job, but don't get stuck; company is on a downward spiral

Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Attendant in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* 10% Team Member discount * Awesome co-workers * Friendly environment * LGBT supportive

Cons

Upper management is only concerned with metrics, and little else matters. If you can't sell enough REDcards, you're out. If you can't effectively clean and zone the entire department they handed to you in the mere 4 hours (minus your 15-minute break), you're out. Advancement within the company is difficult and only possible if you swallow enough of the Kool-Aid to be noticed by management, and even then you may be passed over in favor of an external hire. In fact, most hires for upper management are now external. The store is often severely understaffed, and as a result, store function suffers. Corporate is more concerned with lining their own pockets than properly staffing the store so that guests can actually shop here.

Advice to Management

* Staff your stores * Quit the politics; promote people who deserve it and are the most qualified for mgmt. positions * Listen to your workers * Focus less on useless metrics and more so on improving shopper experience

3. Seasonal

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target

Pros

The discount is only 10% but if you have a red card and have the cart wheel app then its not a bad deal. Co-workers were also pretty chill.

Cons

There are a lot of customers that are just plain slobs. I was also hired as seasonal but I told them I wanted to be permanent; they lead me on with telling me that they will most likely keep me after the season if I proved my self. I did more than prove myself. I do not recommend working for Target as seasonal employee if you are trying to stay there.

Advice to Management

When there is a manager that has difficulty getting along with employees then maybe retail is not the best place for that particular manger. Managers should not disrespect their employees.

5. It's a Love/Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an awesome set of values, and great culture. In my store in particular, it's become known as a "family store" because we've all essentially grown up together, some have started families, and we bring in those into the fold who are new to our store. Management is also great because they are very hands on and lead by example. The company promotes a strong relationship between the you and the guest, you and other Team Members.

Cons

Some challenges are the pay for part time workers, being that sometimes the work required doesn't seem to match the pay given. Another also is partnering with others stores, in at not all stores share the same culture, so while one store would be more than helpful, another would do so grudgingly. A more unilateral store culture would greatly benefit Guest Experiences across the board.

Advice to Management

N/A

Very decent company to work for who treat their employees fairer than most I've worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, plenty of opportunities to grow in the company if you apply yourself, they work hard to make it a fun place to work and give plenty of recognition.

Cons

Expectations can sometimes be too high for the pay earned, huge hour cuts beginning of the year every year but if you can stick it out it's better than most retail places to work at.

7. Good...for retail

Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love being in Assets Protection. Ruining a shoplifter's day is so much fun, and you've got to be on the ball. It can be demanding, but I find that to be rewarding. Target is pretty flexible and a good first job.

Cons

Pay is low, raises are laughable and capped at 6% at the very top end (manual says 0-3% of store employees will receive this).

Advice to Management

Every year is more work, less incentive. Even Wal-Mart pays better than Target. Come on.

8. I like working at Target. Advancement is not great but I play the role of team lead. I enjoy my time off as well.

Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the hours. The benefits and saving are good.

Cons

Advancement is not good. Training could use a lot of improvement.

Advice to Management

Train employee better. Advance better. Have people in a position for a limited time them promote or replace.

Good second job, definitely not a career place. Thankfully it was my second job for spending cash.

Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice managers, coworkers and HR staff. Super easy job. If youre a good worker than they'll work you a lot.

Cons

Pay is awful, even for managers with degrees its laughable. A lot of people you deal with (customers and coworkers alike) are very unintelligent. Hours aren't desirable (as with any retail job).

Advice to Management

I would just suggest to bridge the gap a little more with pay of store managers and regular team members. So many of my coworkers had families to feed and couldn't because the pay was so awful. I also dont think it necessary to need a degree to move up into management.

10 + years of Target experience - have I seen it all ? The answer is no, there is always something new to learn !

Current Employee - Team Leader in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Target offers many development opportunities for it's team members, that being said, team members need to drive their own development which shows a desire and commitment to learning. Target also offers a work./life balance, great insurance benefits and their culture/values system is inclusive.

Cons

Executive leaders are often lacking business experience Target or other wise. They do not have management experience and that often leads to misunderstandings and hurt feelings for team members. Team Leaders are often training their new supervisors.

Advice to Management

Incoming executives begin with at least 6 months of hands on Team Leader experience. Learn the Company from the trenches, explore and develop your management style before you are the final word at store level

11. Being a cashier at Target

Current Employee - Cashier in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

all of my coworkers are wonderful.

Cons

random rules, favoritism, team leads can do no wrong

Showing 12 of 12,670 reviews