Target Reviews in Ventura, CA

8,641 Reviews
3.1
8,641 Reviews

Brian Cornell

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance in many areas (including work-from-home opportunities)" (in 270 reviews)

• Well Target did a lot for the team members as far as rewarding for extra work loads (in 745 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is stressed however hard to achieve with very high expectations (in 608 reviews)

• I feel the compensation for team members does not always reflect the job positions (in 734 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very decent company to work for who treat their employees fairer than most I've worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, plenty of opportunities to grow in the company if you apply yourself, they work hard to make it a fun place to work and give plenty of recognition.

Cons

Expectations can sometimes be too high for the pay earned, huge hour cuts beginning of the year every year but if you can stick it out it's better than most retail places to work at.

It's a Love/Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an awesome set of values, and great culture. In my store in particular, it's become known as a "family store" because we've all essentially grown up together, some have started families, and we bring in those into the fold who are new to our store. Management is also great because they are very hands on and lead by example. The company promotes a strong relationship between the you and the guest, you and other Team Members.

Cons

Some challenges are the pay for part time workers, being that sometimes the work required doesn't seem to match the pay given. Another also is partnering with others stores, in at not all stores share the same culture, so while one store would be more than helpful, another would do so grudgingly. A more unilateral store culture would greatly benefit Guest Experiences across the board.

N/A

Good...for retail

Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love being in Assets Protection. Ruining a shoplifter's day is so much fun, and you've got to be on the ball. It can be demanding, but I find that to be rewarding. Target is pretty flexible and a good first job.

Cons

Pay is low, raises are laughable and capped at 6% at the very top end (manual says 0-3% of store employees will receive this).

Every year is more work, less incentive. Even Wal-Mart pays better than Target. Come on.

I like working at Target. Advancement is not great but I play the role of team lead. I enjoy my time off as well.

Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the hours. The benefits and saving are good.

Cons

Advancement is not good. Training could use a lot of improvement.

Train employee better. Advance better. Have people in a position for a limited time them promote or replace.

Good second job, definitely not a career place. Thankfully it was my second job for spending cash.

Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really nice managers, coworkers and HR staff. Super easy job. If youre a good worker than they'll work you a lot.

Cons

Pay is awful, even for managers with degrees its laughable. A lot of people you deal with (customers and coworkers alike) are very unintelligent. Hours aren't desirable (as with any retail job).

I would just suggest to bridge the gap a little more with pay of store managers and regular team members. So many of my coworkers had families to feed and couldn't because the pay was so awful. I also dont think it necessary to need a degree to move up into management.

10 + years of Target experience - have I seen it all ? The answer is no, there is always something new to learn !

Current Employee - Team Leader in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Target offers many development opportunities for it's team members, that being said, team members need to drive their own development which shows a desire and commitment to learning. Target also offers a work./life balance, great insurance benefits and their culture/values system is inclusive.

Cons

Executive leaders are often lacking business experience Target or other wise. They do not have management experience and that often leads to misunderstandings and hurt feelings for team members. Team Leaders are often training their new supervisors.

Incoming executives begin with at least 6 months of hands on Team Leader experience. Learn the Company from the trenches, explore and develop your management style before you are the final word at store level

Being a cashier at Target

Current Employee - Cashier in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

all of my coworkers are wonderful.

Cons

random rules, favoritism, team leads can do no wrong

Friendly people, mostly supportive coworkers, hard hard work.

Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Cart Attendant in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Usually lots of hours, free drinks sometimes, supportive coworkers, the ten percent discount with the discount and red card, professional atmosphere.

Cons

Non- consistent scheduling. As a cart attendant, the job you have to do is very physically demanding, and I don't believe we are very fairly compensated for the job. Also, upper management doesn't seem to recognize the hard work put in.

Pay cart attendants more, they're really an under-appreciated asset.

not the best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target

Pros

nice managers, supervisor, co-workers, but they all gossip and stab each others in the back, can't open your mouth in this work place because the whole company will hear it

Cons

Always worked alone, I was a team member without a team, Always had too many people on slow days ..

give more hours to your employees, Target donates 5% to schools but they jack up the price in order to make an extra 5% to give to the schools