Targetbase Reviews

Reset
2.5
Targetbase President and CEO Mark Wright
Mark Wright

Pros
  • There are a lot of smart people trying to make a positive contribution to their clients (in 12 reviews)

• Fairly laid back dress code and when I was there they would allow most employees to go home at noon on Fridays if they had already hit the 40 hour mark (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Client services has no one in charge (in 3 reviews)

• There is a high turn over rate because of this (in 3 reviews)

Work hard, play hard

Current Employee - Account Executive in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Targetbase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, good opportunities, fair management.

Cons

Lots of travel, 50+ hour work week.

The place where nothing changes

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work with some very talented individuals ... if they're around long enough!!

Cons

Management.
    Work life balance.
    Management
    Politics everywhere, no one can be trusted.
    Management
    Drink like a fish (depending on department).
    Management

There's more to the con list, but it'll just be redundant stating what everyone else has said, so I'll keep it simple.

Advice to Management

You guys are old dogs who have no intentions on learning new tricks, staying relevant, diversifying your current management team, nor taking the proper measures to engage your team members as worthwhile assets to the greater good of the company.

I just wonder why/how the management team is still there despite all their failures, especially the CEO.

You guys have it good! Not too many places will allow you to fail above and beyond and STILL allow you to keep your cushy jobs $$$, as you fire everyone else for YOUR mistakes.

Be warned...

Former Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase

Pros

They have some good benefits which would persuade you to consider being an employee there such as summer hours and a flex schedule.

Cons

If working on the CJO portfolio beware. The turnover rate on this team is the highest in the company because the work/life balance is insufficient. You also could be setup to fail on this team due to the lack of training and imprecise verbal instructions.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover rate on the CJO portfolio and consider what and who the cause is for such low morale on the team.

Arrogance...Ignorance...Incompetence

I worked at Targetbase

Pros

If you want to hear about pros, read the positive reviews posted by HR.

Cons

Incredibly toxic environment led by people that have risen to the top based on politics and tenure rather than leadership abilities. The organization's inability to remain relevant in an industry increasingly driven by technology and innovation is a direct reflection of the completely incompetent executive leadership team. The CTO is probably the worst of the bunch from a leadership perspective, but make no mistake, poor leadership is a systemic issue that starts at the top with the CEO. For the most part, talented people move on quickly leaving only the dead wood behind. Targetbase is a shining example of an organization that doesn't invest in it's people and unfortunately many of them have stayed for 10+ years.

Account services routinely sets unrealistic client expectations that require the technology teams to work ridiculous schedules to meet the commitment so if you're looking for work/life balance, look somewhere else. Very little integrity within this group and they will lie to clients and look for every opportunity to cut corners and bill more hours.

HR will consistently tow the company line and cannot be trusted as many other reviewers have pointed out.

Lots of big titles, but a VP is really like a tactical manager and Directors are actually like team leads so the entire organization is very reactionary with virtually no strategic thought leadership.

Advice to Management

The problems here are so systemic it's hard to imagine a turnaround short of cleaning house and starting over at the C level...and that doesn't mean bringing in more incompetent leadership from RAPP.

I wish I could give less than 1 star....

I have been working at Targetbase

Pros

Casual Dress, free coffee, based on manager there could be some flexibility

Cons

Where to start - worst kind of politics, its all about saving behind, kiss it to save yours. HR is the worst, cannot be trusted to save your life. Management is only out to look out for themselves, in the process they trample and walk over the others. They scam the employees and the clients...clients dropping like flies. the upper management stuffs pockets with bonuses while employees gets pickings...STAY AWAY

Advice to Management

Fire HR and the CEO.

I wish I had good things to say

I worked at Targetbase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer hours
    Free drinks
    Co-workers were very nice
    Several smart people to learn from
    Pets allowed in the office area

Cons

I really wanted to provide a good review. But I had to think hard about it and I just can't do it. At one time, this company was so much better. It wasn't perfect - what company is perfect? But it was a nice place to work and I never felt like I hated my job. In the last year it was just plain dreadful. The head of our department was a maniac who has no idea what is necessary to earn people's trust and respect. It got a little better with some changes to the organization, but it was still terrible. I woke up every day with anxiety about going to work and my Sundays were filled with depression. Politics, managers lying all the time, horrible hours, too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Definition of stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Change! Really make changes! Don't be afraid to really address the root causes. You know who and what they are. Just do it!

Smart People, Good Work, Some Internal Hurdles

I worked at Targetbase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a lot of very smart, thoughtful employees who care about their clients and producing good work. Depending on the team internally collaboration can be really impressive. Schedules for employees can be pretty flexible. Some complain about crazy hours and work-life balance challenges but this place has pretty typical agency life in this regard. Growth opportunities are nice due to the size of the company and the amount of work through the doors.

Cons

If you are not a senior level employee, communication from leadership can sometimes be misinterpreted or misunderstood. Training - as with many companies - isn't as strong as it could be so it can be sink or swim for some employees. Retention of good employees is a struggle with so many competitive agencies in the market.

Good company in need of stronger leadership

I have been working at Targetbase

Pros

The people
    The data-driven approach

Cons

Short term visibility among management - don't walk their talk

Revolving door with way too many people with a VP title.

Former Employee - Technology in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Technology in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing really. Food trucks were cool. It was just a job.

Cons

Client Service VP's, all of them. Too many of them and they all have the same level of arrogance and ego. Not much professionalism either. Not a great place to work when you can hear them in their office screaming at each other, dropping F bombs left and right. Unrealistic expectations of the minions that report up to them.

Advice to Management

Start over. Seriously. Clean house and get rid of a majority of your executives. The reviews of what this place was and what it is now are night and day. Saying the name Targetbase is now a punch line if nothing else.

Worst Job I Ever Had

I worked at Targetbase

Pros

free food, free cokes and premium coffee, summer hours, some teams are fun and nice, smart people to learn from, interesting clients

Cons

TB is the most politically charged workplace I have ever experienced. To move in the organization, you have to be noticed. But if you create attention to yourself, the vultures come out and the attacks begin. The "leaders" are pure managers only. They should all be fired by Omnicom and a fresh batch inserted who know how to grow and run a business and an organization. The culture is non-existent and the occasional party and new carpets cannot substitute for a true culture that is desperately needed. No training either. You're thrown into the fire on day one and then you're made to feel stupid when you have challenges. Also, forget about seeing your family and friends. Not with the 60 hours you work each week. One last thing: enough with the boys club attitude. If you're a female, be careful with certain managers. They are clearly scared of smart women. It's beyond coaching. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "you're a female, so you won't understand." Then they go back to their "my car is better than your car" conversations and laugh as you walk out.

Advice to Management

Hit the reboot button.

RSS Feed </> Embed