Targetbase

Updated February 13, 2015
2.5

Targetbase President and CEO Mark Wright
Mark Wright

Pros
  • Very smart people who understand the power of big data (in 12 reviews)

• Targetbase has a very laid back friendly culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced, occasionally understaffed, work life balance can be a challenge, politics, 401k match is below average (in 3 reviews)

• Client services has no one in charge (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart People, Good Work, Some Internal Hurdles

I worked at Targetbase full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a lot of very smart, thoughtful employees who care about their clients and producing good work. Depending on the team internally collaboration can be really impressive. Schedules for employees can be pretty flexible. Some complain about crazy hours and work-life balance challenges but this place has pretty typical agency life in this regard. Growth opportunities are nice due to the size of the company and the amount of work through the doors.

Cons

If you are not a senior level employee, communication from leadership can sometimes be misinterpreted or misunderstood. Training - as with many companies - isn't as strong as it could be so it can be sink or swim for some employees. Retention of good employees is a struggle with so many competitive agencies in the market.

Good company in need of stronger leadership

I have been working at Targetbase

Pros

The people
    The data-driven approach

Cons

Short term visibility among management - don't walk their talk

Worst Job I Ever Had

I worked at Targetbase

Pros

free food, free cokes and premium coffee, summer hours, some teams are fun and nice, smart people to learn from, interesting clients

Cons

TB is the most politically charged workplace I have ever experienced. To move in the organization, you have to be noticed. But if you create attention to yourself, the vultures come out and the attacks begin. The "leaders" are pure managers only. They should all be fired by Omnicom and a fresh batch inserted who know how to grow and run a business and an organization. The culture is non-existent and the occasional party and new carpets cannot substitute for a true culture that is desperately needed. No training either. You're thrown into the fire on day one and then you're made to feel stupid when you have challenges. Also, forget about seeing your family and friends. Not with the 60 hours you work each week. One last thing: enough with the boys club attitude. If you're a female, be careful with certain managers. They are clearly scared of smart women. It's beyond coaching. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "you're a female, so you won't understand." Then they go back to their "my car is better than your car" conversations and laugh as you walk out.

Hit the reboot button.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I have been working at Targetbase full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very open and friendly
    - Input is valued
    - Great benefits
    - Interested in professional growth
    - Fun activities planned for employees
    - Full week off during Christmas
    - Great work-life balance

Cons

I really do not have any complaints, it has been a really great experience thus far.

In my opinion, they do a really good job making new employees feel welcomed. They offer support if you need it and it's an all hands on deck type of organization. You can tell that they genuinely care about their employees and they value your input.

Run as fast and far away as you can.

Former Employee - Client Services
    Former Employee - Client Services

I worked at Targetbase full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Made many great friends. Fairly flexible schedule, but there is a price.

Cons

Sweatshop, understaffed, very political, many clicks, cut throat, borderline mentally abusive.

Targetbase was once an amazing place to work, but has unfortunately faded over the years. You rarely see anyone even crack a smile. Very tense culture. Management allows some employees to torture others as long as they are generating revenue. it's all about the revenue/profit.

Too much useless QC

Current Employee - Senior Information Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Information Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Targetbase full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back dress code, corporate events

Cons

POLITICAL!! Unnecessary QC procedures that don't catch errors

Reimagine what you want your company environment, impart from the top down the sense that employee work/life balance is crucial

Great career experience

I worked at Targetbase full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It has been a few years since I worked at Targetbase. I learned very useful skills that helped me gain an advantage when I moved from account management to an in-house marketing position. I also made some great connections among peers in several departments - many of whom are still the most talented marketing people I have met (and I have worked with many agencies).

Cons

Like many companies and especially agencies, Targetbase had difficulty strengthening its own team. The departments did not collaborate (they tolerated each other), I watched at least 3 Vice Presidents lose their jobs in one year when training might have been a better solution, etc. Like many agencies, they also said they had skills they didn't and then found it difficult to deliver, worked with any client no matter how likely to make them lose profit in the end, and basically created a very tough, non-supportive environment. Many of us bonded from what was similar to PTSD. You can't beat the intelligence at an agency like Targetbase but it is infinitely easier client-side.

If you focus on collaboration, you might be able to become more lean and therefore more cost effective for your clients. Good luck!

I didn't know how bad until I left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase full-time (more than a year)

Pros

some of the nicest people I've ever met. still good friends with many of them. during the summers we only worked until noon on Fridays.

Cons

I thought my experience was just average-until I left. now I know the true reality. I left for more money to a TB competitor. but now I know that money wasn't the real opportunity. my summary of the challenges at TB: no work-life balance cuz I worked close to 50% overtime every week. no training of any kind. no internal systems to help learn. leadership never came into the cube areas to check on us worker bees. I never got an opportunity to work on new things-same thing over and over. when I talked to my manager about any kind of frustration, I was told to be glad I have a job.

just be nice. think about how you would want to be treated. quit lying-you're so easily caught-it's obvious when your doing it. invest in training. when you talk to workers, don't complain about your own problems the whole time. quit telling customers TB has capabilities when it's not true-it's sad.

Be Very Afraid

Former Employee - Information Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Information Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are very smart and very nice. Targetbase also has free cokes and there is free food pretty regularly.

Cons

I feel like I was lied to from the beginning. Nothing in the interview was true. I was told there would be training. None. I was told there would be a nice home balance. None. I feel like I was thrown to the wolves without any preparation. Then I was made to feel low when my work didn't meet the requirements. No support. No help. No team. Nothing. I can't imagine a more sad place. I'd rather work in a factory.

Treat your employees with a tiny bit of respect.

Stayed for the people. Left for advancement.

Former Employee - Copywriter in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Irving, TX

I worked at Targetbase full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wide variety of client work.

Cons

Office politics/favorites are common. Bad leadership/career guidance - or lack thereof.

Set up consistent rules and guidelines. Don't be afraid of confrontation especially if you're at an executive level. That's part of your job as a leader.