Targeted Victory Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
7 reviews filtered by
3.9
Michael Beach & Zac Moffatt

1. Great company with great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Targeted Victory full-time

Pros

Targeted Victory has a laid back culture that allows for a lot of flexibility. Management is receptive to thoughts and willing to make changes. They are very fair to employees.

Cons

Communication between departments could be improved.

Make sure everyone is communicating clearly with more defined goals.

2. Intern Regarding Social Media Management/Marketing

I worked at Targeted Victory

Pros

The opportunities were self influenced, and allowed me to have complete reign over day to day activities.

Cons

I was intimidated being the youngest employer.

3. Freedom to Succeed

I have been working at Targeted Victory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, driven people who are great at and believe in what they are doing. Casual dress and open working environment. This company is not at all bureaucratic. They are interested in getting things done. Anyone looking to break free of a corporate or government job encumbered by processes that are broken, will love working here.

Cons

Long hours during peak times in the election calendar should be expected. Communication between departments could be improved. There's flexibility to work from home, but some individuals abuse this benefit which can cause friction within teams.

Ensure people who are not performing know early and often how to improve. People who aren't performing should be moved out sooner.

Beware revolving door. Quick to give great offers, but also quick to fire you on any type of mistake

Former Employee - Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Targeted Victory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If your a hardcore conservative republican there are some decent social events around the Winter Holidays.

Cons

The Leadership will fire you or lay you off very quickly if you are not a "profitable employee".
    You can get hired during elections and fired right after
    The severance is not very good if you fired/laid off
    The pay is much less than industry competitors
    The Hours are LONG during campaign time, and you do not get paid overtime.
    Even though there is a flexible vacation/sick time, it is highly encouraged that you do not take any time off. If you take time off you get a lot of criticism.

Think more long term when hiring employees. Budget out one or two years of their salary before hiring. Don't just hire people for elections promising them full time positions. Its not fair to them and their families.
    Provide a structured leave system instead of the "Honor" system which makes employees feel guilty for taking time off.
    Provide better healthcare benefits.

Great working environment

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Targeted Victory as an intern

Pros

Nice coworkers to work with

Cons

Not I can think of

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Targeted Victory full-time

Pros

You will be thrown into the fray and be forced to learn. Everyone is willing to help you learn if you are willing to ask. You can go in there having no idea what you are doing and in that matter of days you will know it inside and out. Mostly because of necessity and repetition.

I credit Targeted Victory for me being as educated and well-rounded as I am. The knowledge I have is irreplaceable and the work environment I was in makes everything I do now seem like its 5 intensity levels lower, so I can handle whatever I am doing with calmness and poise.

Plus no one comes near them in terms of actually doing digital in republican politics. They are leading the way on this new frontier and I could easily seeing them being a billion dollar company.

Cons

You are working for a company that works as a vendor for political candidates. Political campaigns don't sleep, there is always stuff to do - most campaigns will have you working from 7AM until 8-9PM every night...now multiply that by 3. Because now you are a vendor for three political campaigns, meaning when you put together social posts, e-mail lists, and ad orders in to the ad team you, you will do that two or three more times each day...7 days a week.

They work really hard to make sure to get everything scheduled/approved before the weekends so you can get the weekends off, but in campaign environments you are always on call, it's not the companies fault, but it is taxing.

Add in the fact that you also need to wait for some unresponsive clients to give you approval to move forward, you are constantly waiting for answers while juggling a ton of other things.

It could easily just be me personally, but although performance reviews and promotions/more responsibility is given - nothing ever really seems like a promotion. Other than giving you more money, the responsibilities don't really change, you will be doing the same job but slightly different, so if you enjoy what you do I guess that isn't an issue, it just seems like you aren't working towards something new - at least in my mind.

The biggest advice I can give though is they need to stop being salesmen to their clients. Real private sector pr firms, ad agencies, or whatever you want to call them know that their clients are paying them for their service and strategy. Every client service person seemed like a salesmen instead of a strategist. I understand businesses need to make money, but you could tell some clients knew you were just feeding them a sales pitch and if I were in their position I would start tuning you guys out knowing you were just going to sell me something.

Also it wouldn't hurt to work on the way you charge clients. Granted I don't know how I would change it, but it seems like "hidden fees" are plentiful when invoices go out. Things like - small web development fees, designer fees.

Great internship that provided a great work experience in the political consulting field.

Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Targeted Victory

Pros

- They delegate a good amount of responsibility to interns (that commit to nearly full time hours)
    - Let you know if you've done a good job
    - Laid back atmosphere whilst expectations stay high
    - They pay interns (not common in the political field)

Cons

- Parking can be annoying (for an intern- staff get parking passes) but this is not a huge problem nor a fault of the company.

Keep it up!