Tarheel Publishing

2.2

Jeffrey K. Hayes

Good place to make $$$

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Clayton, NC

I worked at Tarheel Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you have limited or a lot of sales experience you can make good money, as long as you follow the training. I made better money here than at any job previously. I felt the training is good and the support was excellent. The sales manager made himself available for help when needed. I liked the contests they offered.

Cons

I had to leave due to family situation. I would like to have been able to do part-time work, but it was not available. I am writing this review because I saw that other employees wrote negatively. However, i will tell you they are probably some that the rest of the sales team was hoping would be gone anyway. Not to sound mean, but a lot of people didn't really work hard and expected a lot for doing nothing.

Please consider part time sales opportunities for us working moms :)

Unprofessional and Misogynistic

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Tarheel Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has no pros. I would give it no stars but this format will not allow me to.
    I hope to prevent other women from working for this company.

Cons

If you are a woman working for this company you will be subject to swearing, dirty jokes and bully tactics. Being yelled at, screamed at, and arbitrarily punished if you've said something the owner does not like are regular facts of life with this company. One young woman was told to wear short skirts if she wanted to make sales.

More training for managers about being professional. At every level from hiring to initial training, paperwork and commissions to exit interviews was handled sloppily and crudely.

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Clayton, NC

I worked at Tarheel Publishing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like outside sales and travel stays for months at a time away family and a manager who will berate you and call you names, then this is the job for you.

Cons

This is the most unprofessional and mismanaged company I have ever worked for. The manager was verbally abusive to all of his reps. They never pay you the commissions you have made. Most of your time is spent traveling and there is no time for your own personal life. The manager will make you meet him at Sheetz gas station in the morning if your numbers are low and talk down to you and call you names for 2 hrs, and then say "Good Luck Selling Today." The owner is all about the money and has lost a lot of really good reps. Their turnover is extremely high since their attitude is "everyone's replaceable". Don't bother working there- you will spend more money on gas and running around for them and they will not pay you the commission they promise. The office staff is gossipy and unprofessional and will lose your commission sheets. I cant imagine how many former employers are owed back pay they never received. Any good reviews on this company are made by the company themselves. Anyone who is a former employee got out when they found another job. This one was a joke!

You've read the reviews and hopefully you take something away from that. I think you should be reported for your horrible treatment of employees.

Also known as Tarheel Publishing and Tarheel Pages, see Tarheel Pages Facebook page.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Clayton, NC

I worked at Tarheel Publishing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Only Pro is the posts that are listed on here to help you avoid the corruption that goes with this company. Employees need to begin filing a report with the Department of Labor and BBB.

Cons

The corruption is from accounting to the promises made to the customers. They are the reason sales people get a bad rap because they promise everything and deliver nothing leaving the business owners helpless because they are in a contract. The businesses need to start sharing their experiences with the BBB.

Stop taking money from the staff and your customers. You take money for services you don't deliver and you make sure that the employees can't get paid on their accounts sold so that you collect all of the payments. Unbelievable that you can live with your choices to hurt people like this.

Jul 2, 2014Director Of Sales

This is not a current employee. Current employees have all been here for a while and have been extremely happy with the opportunity offered to them as stated by their reviews below. The only thing ... More

Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highest level of training offered to each hired employee. A new employee with no previous sales experience in the industry can learn to be successful with Tarheel Publishing. You set your own goals, and the monetary rewards are unlimited. Flexible time is rewarded to employees that work hard and want to make money.

Cons

No cons related to the company, but cons of previously hired/terminated individuals that do not apply themselves, ask questions about his or her position, and use the training skills and tools that are offered by the employer.

Keep the perks won from contests coming!! The incentive to be rewarded for working hard is superior for employees, and often not offered by other companies.

Don't believe the Negativity

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Freedom, Positivity, Money. 16 years and growing, small company and no corporate mindset. You get out what you put in!

Cons

The only CONS are having past employees who didn't want to take the time to learn and earn their way. Remember, "UNSUCCESSFUL people never make mistakes"

Keep up the motivation and contests that give everyone a fair shot at monetary rewards for working hard and earning their way

Hard work equals great rewards

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing

Pros

You are your own boss,
    you control your own destiny.

Cons

It's hard work, but what in life isn't.
    Makes the reward so much sweeter

Keep pushing us to improve

Do not believe that you will be paid as much money as they imply that you will because you won't get paid the salary

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not one, pro for this company but should you take the position, please return and post your review so that maybe enough will be posted that it will prevent them from taking advantage of others.

Cons

Lies, and training you to enter the math incorrectly on your paid in full accounts so that you do not earn all of your commission. You will have to chase your commission, especially for any renewal accounts that are a large amount.

Corrupt management that calls their ex-employees stupid, their customers dumb, and offers poor service to both employees and customers.

Jul 2, 2014Director Of Sales

Similar to the post above, this is not a current employee and there is no good reason why a small business would train you to enter math incorrectly as if effects the whole companies revenues and not ... More

Unprofessional & unethical business practice

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing full-time

Pros

The salary in the first 90 days could be loosely considered a "pro", however I am fairly certain they are flying under the radar of labor laws and I do intend to find out more. The monetary compensation is not enough to cover the morale devaluation that occurs.

Cons

Upper management, unreasonable expectations, poor customer service, horrible reputation. Definitely a "bait and switch" type of company. The owner is his own worst enemy and eventually will be the sole reason for the demise of this company.

Sell out and find God! Seriously, it will never be any more than it is today unless professional and ethical practices are put in place. Run your company in a manner that you don't have to defend it or LIE about it.

Jul 2, 2014Director Of Sales

Ex-employee; this was during a downturn in the company 2 years ago when we mistakenly hired an unethical manager and was consequently fired within his first year. Tarheel Media Solutions did not ... More

Corrupt, dishonest and unprofessional

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Tarheel Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only pro is I've made some good friends (all whom which are looking for employment else where)

Cons

Where to start,
    Terrible, unprofessional upper management. Which consists of two corrupt men. The owner and office manager. They are dishonest about the job and the pay in the interview. "Everyone can be replaced" words I've actually heard from upper management. Will take away gas/cell allowance if they "feel" like it... Which is peanuts to begin with.
    I only rated this company so high because you cant give negative stars.

Close your doors or sell company to someone with substance and morale

See response above