Tata Consultancy Services

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Tata Consultancy Services CEO & Managing Director Natarajan Chandrasekaran

Natarajan Chandrasekaran

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great opportunities are provided If you work smart...

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork/Life Balance
Good opportunities..But follow the process.

ConsCompensation should be based on the market rate either offshore/onsite.
Minimum salary for freshers should be increased in offshore.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Employer...Encourage the next generation employers,Cut-off middle management if not necessary.. ...Invest more in R&D,Products rather than IT services...If necessary acquire small Indian companies too or to be competitive in market...Can target 1 million jobs by 2020.

A great company to start the career

Computer Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsOpportunity to work on many technologies.
HR and Senior managers are very professional.
There is very nice work culture.
Cooleagues are very coordinating and friendly.

ConsI do not see anything as cons.
HR should share information good policies and company benefits with employees.
Appraisal process needs to be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be in more touch of employees.

On the bench the entire time; was I hired to satisfy a quota?

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for less than a year

ProsNice enough people there. Plus I didn't have to work very hard; actually I didn't have to work at all.

ConsTerribly unorganized, pay is way below average, although I didn’t earn what little I was paid. I was employed 8 months, and worked 0 days.

I was originally hired to work as a Business Analyst on 1 of several projects at BOA in Jersey City. I was told that they like having “locals” as BAs. Met with the Engagement Manager & we hit it off immediately, despite or varied backgrounds. But a more senior manager expressed interest in me, so he had to fill positions with other people. That other position never materialized & BOA started having budget & regulatory issues. So, I was left w/o a project. They seemed to try to get me onto another project & occasionally they would send me on an local interview in my region. I would either ace the interview, but the project was cancelled, or it was for a position I was clearly not a fit for. Despite having told them on my interview that I would not relocate, I was told that if I did not consider relocating, I would be let go. Relocation is fine for ex-pats, but they cannot expect a person with a house & a family to move every 1-2 years. I even offered to take short term projects elsewhere in the US, but they would not even pay to fly me home 1x a month.

I know it sounds cool that I was getting paid for not working, but the stress was a killer, and my technical skills were getting soft. Plus, how do you list that position on your resume, or explain it on an interview without looking bad?

Oh yeah; and good luck trying to get one of the HR people in Edison to return a call or email.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must be doing something right; you're a multi-billion dollar company, but would it hurt you to treat your employees like people and not disposable resources?

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

7 years 6 months

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood company for the onsite opportunities

ConsBad for career growth and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to see the employee needs

Around 2 years of experience in Tata Consultancy Services

Computer Programmer (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsTata Consultancy Services is the good company .

ConsTata Consultancy Services is a good company and work environment is also good.

Good in India not in US

Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood salary in India. In India, while on the bench you get paid and look for projects.

ConsIn the US salary is pathetic. In US, they ask you to apply for your personal leaves or go back to India immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots to improve!

If you're good with people around, you can survive in TCS

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsJob security, average technical expertise would be enough to work in most of the projects. You have a vast types of projects to work with.

Consprocess following is poor when it comes to the project side. More stress is there in quantity rather than quality

Poor Employee Engagement and Retention

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Work-life balance depending on the project

ConsPoor management practices
Unethical billing practices

Large stable company but low salaries

Solution Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood variety of work
Worlwide spread
huge knowledge base - help is available immediately

ConsLot of politics - appraisals and promotions are based your relations with manager than talent

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talent - and increase onsite salaries to keep people - esp mid-level technologists.

Tata a nice place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

ProsSenior management is very good and supportive in decision making. Benefits to US employees are good.

ConsSalary difference between the employees joined from offshore vs. joined at onsite is very high. This actually kills the morale for good work. No Green Card sponsorship and relocation assistance in USA is very bad.

Advice to Senior Managementlets bring the focus back from India to USA and invest heavily on getting good consultants.

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tata Consultancy Services reviews and ratings in Jersey City, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tata Consultancy Services CEO Natarajan Chandrasekaran. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Tata Consultancy Services employees.