Tata Consultancy Services (North America)

www.tcs.com
  www.tcs.com

Tata Consultancy Services (North America) Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

Natarajan Chandrasekaran

Pros
  • If you are flexible for any locations, you will have 100% job security (in 14 reviews)

• Good learning Oppertunity, Good Work life balance, (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not possible (in 10 reviews)

• low salary, low career improvement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to work with!

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services (North America)

Pros

Welcomes our Innovative ideas. Friendly management and supports in all perspectives.

Cons

Tough to get promoted though it is the same Cons in all other companies too!

One of best company to work for

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services (North America) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee friendly policies
    Employee benefits
    Work-life balance

Cons

Compensation is less when compared to other peers.

Competitive pay

TCS is Solid and Huge Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Pros

Solid Company with many opportunities in US and overseas.

Cons

Back-office systems and Travel Management processes are required to be improved quickly to get at least in the same level as the competitors.

Invest in lean internal procedures to compete with the current marketplace. Improve the internal systems, processes and speed to continue growing in the marketplace.

So far so good...

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services (North America)

Pros

A promising career opportunity. Have some very good companies as clients which can enhance employee porfolio

Cons

Seem not particularly interested in employee career growth

Human capital is the competitive advantage. Take a closer look at increasing employee career prospects...

Not a bad job but I'm looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Deployment Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Deployment Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

The base pay is decent, not generous but decent.
    The retirement plan is excellent
    The company has an excellent list of clients
    Certification reimbursements are nice
    Telecommuting rocks!

Cons

Working at Tata would be much better if it wasn't for a few simple issues. The first and foremost is compensation is middling at best. The base salaries are generally decent from my informal survey of peers, however, the bonus and raise systems are DEEPLY flawed. This is probably tied to the fact that their employee evaluation is terrible the worst I've ever seen. The system is deeply rigged to give almost everyone an average to poor rating which is then used to give you a terrible bonus. An example of the bonus system is when I was hired I was told that bonuses were about 10% of my salary, however, I got about a 2% bonus which was justified on the basis of my performance evaluation. Now mind you they don't explicitly lay out you need to be at this level to get this bonus and that the employee review system focuses less on your individual contributions and more on the team level. The employee review system as mentioned is based on your team which in my case is well over 1000 associates and apparently from the customer feedback the overall team sucks so despite the fact that I've won a few internal awards and get consistently praised by the client (Microsoft) I got a review that made it look like I was an average of middling employee and then got socked both on my bonus and raise for the year. Outside of the pay and review system the next most obvious problem is that if you're not Indian or Asian you will not be a manager, which really eats into my desire to go the extra mile as its pretty apparent that I won't be A) Richly compensated or B) Moved into a management position. Outside of that the corporate culture is VERY stuffy and they SPAM the holy crap out of your inbox with entirely meaningless emails that have zero value.

Make the bonus structure more based around individual contribution. DIVERSIFY your management team in particular your North American management team. While I value the certification reimbursements it would be really great if you offered some sort of tuition assistance. I'm looking at leaving the company because of the pay and the lack of tuition assistance as I'm looking to get my MBA, thus you're losing a talented program manager from being overly thrifty and giving the appearance that there isn't any possibility of a real career path for people who aren't Indian or Asian.

Great Company To Work With

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services (North America) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rapidly growing company having more than 300K employees globally. Excellent working culture. If you are flexible for any locations, you will have 100% job security. Benefits are OK.

Cons

Compensation is low compared to some other competitors

Please be more accurate on appraising your employees on annual reviews.

Great working experience in multi - domain and technology pursuits

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services (North America)

Pros

Companies Values, opportunities and people

Cons

Compensation, benefits and personal growth

Good to start from home country

Current Employee - SAP ABAP Developer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - SAP ABAP Developer in Irving, TX

Pros

Send you to US as onsite opportunity with H1B, Job Security, On time Salary, big company with lot of projects, Flexible.

Cons

Low pay and uncertainty of being in US for those who came on visa

Systematic, low cost, often chaotic

Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services (North America) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good values, some exceptional talent, effective business development and growth

Cons

Not particularly innovative or creative, management spread too thin

Correct these issues: too many people that aren't effective; poor work-life balance; excessive emphasis on low cost

Great company to work. Good skills will be recognized and rewarded.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Holland, MI

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services (North America) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Oppurtunites to grow is very big. Lot of company values. Senior management are good.

Cons

Conpensation is very challenging. Company won't grow you. You have to find a way to grow. But lot of open oppurtunities are there.

Benefits and Compensation need to be revisited. It is very less compare to the current market in USA