Tata Consultancy Services

7,759 Reviews

Tata Consultancy Services CEO & Managing Director Natarajan Chandrasekaran
Natarajan Chandrasekaran
3,723 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance but to one needs patience to move ahead with carrer in TCS (in 792 reviews)

• Good work culture, not too much stress in work, no working hours pressure (in 430 reviews)

Cons
  • Small con is salary but compare with additonal work life balance it balances (in 184 reviews)

• Very less salary at onsite/offshore compare to other companies (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company to work with.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pune (India)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good infra structure is the only pro.

Cons

Onsite is for the relatives or flatterers of manager.
    Band allotment is the biased system.Engineers are treated like heard of sheep.

update the band policies.Check who is going to onsite.

Worked without a computer for over a month

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Milford, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Milford, OH

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much work was required, and the location was nice. Close enough to Cincinnati, without actually being in the city.

Cons

IT requests dragged, as the approval process reached 3 levels up. It took over a month before I could even get my own workstation. For my mid-year review, I was given a C because I didn't demonstrate enough work, but I was hounding managers to approve my request to install software so that I could work on my project.

There needs to be a level between project lead and the CTO. Expecting the middle management to simply rise up naturally is going to lead to people leaving, not wanting to try and create a position that is sorely needed. Also, 3 people in IT cannot handle a 500 person operation.

Its not a global company only Indian can work like a typical labours

Current Employee - Assistant Systems Engineer  in  Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Assistant Systems Engineer in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Very nice packages
    2. Not really any work, good place to start, only Indians have to work double
    3. Nice place to make friends
    4. Just go with your manager dont have to worry about any ethics
    5. Good to learn their finance system because they really make good money in and out, by the way they do business on either sides one with employees and with prominent customers
    6. Mexicans are more preferable than Indians may be high marginal profit
    7. All you need is English and analytical skills, your real skill doesnot matter to company, main objective is how to bill to customer, Tata can take care of projects, all they need your presence..

Cons

1. Only Indians can work in this company and company does not follow any ethics as such
    2. Monopoly in decision making
    3. Appraisal system is junk process, its not a fair system to recognise employee real contribution, 50% objectives are irrelevant(B attributes), even if you are good at your job only you get 50% rest is in management hands, Performance review is designed to give low to avoid giving proper compensation based on commitment and good results.
    4. Different policies for Indians and Mexicans not sure why
    5. You need to learn little politics grow up, too much bureaucratic management
    6. Every policy is new or unwritten
    7 Boss is always right and Customer is GOD, Dont expect good appraisal or Promotion
    8. No places to park your car endup with fines, only 1 Micro Oven in Canteen most of the time, smelly toilets
    9.Indian HRs are having attitude problem, they dont exhibit real professionalism

Please change HRs and RMGs in Mexico
    Change Appraisal system

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst internal politics

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Bangalore (India)

Pros

Only job security, nothing else

Cons

- So many politics for Ratings and growth
    - politics at peak level for onsite positions
    - Less salary hikes
    - Worst job culture

HRs and above and Project Managers and above will never listen to your point of view ever.

Current Employee - Assistant Consultant  in  Powai, Maharashtra (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Consultant in Powai, Maharashtra (India)

Pros

Its only their point of view they are concerned about and your stating facts will be ignored. Be prepared to be psychologically and verbally harassed by project lead or even senior managers on everyday basis. Only those people grow in TCS who literally works to put in more hours without using any mind and there is very very little room for growth to the employee who is imaginative and has good technical skills. All freshers stay away and do farming.

Cons

Totally TOTALLY corrupt system from watch man to Service delivery head.
    They say we are an open system and bring your concerns to us and it will be sorted. I had a concern of an abusive and insulting boss, I raised this issue with Global Lead and HR and they very cunningly turned the issue around to me, so instead of helping me or taking my side they said it was my fault, and since I have not been doing the task properly the boss was abusive. I protested that being abusive is not correct in any matter irrespective of work performance. long story short, they twisted my complaint around and put it on me.

If I was management, which unfortunately I didnt have contacts or money to become nor I have sold my soul for a couple of rupees. but I would try to bring strict policies in force which stop abusing employees and harassing them in front of other people or peers in project. Is it too much to ask for a basic civilian type conversation in everyday dealings. Also I disapprove of CEO because he is lacking in these areas of concern.

I hope this report helps somebody and he/she would choose a better of the alternative.

Worst

Current Employee - I T Analyst  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - I T Analyst in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Initial Training was good, Onsite was gud if you are less than 4 yrs of experience

Cons

No Career Growth, Worst Performance Management System,No work life balance.

Have a proper people management system.

Regarding Career Crowth

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chennai (India)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Learning, Infrastructure, Brand Name, Process, Innovation

Cons

Community, caste attitude is played well by Vice President and Managers

Dont show Community attitude or Caste attitude to employees. This is not fair. recognize employees who perform well

Company is being spoiled By Bad Middle Management

Former Employee - Developer  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only Pro is Brand Name..less than industry average pay..No Employee Benefits..Employees are asked to come and take interviews on Weekends and are not re-imbursed anything.I have seen senior technical resources Visiting Gurgaon from Noida on their vehicles for conducting TCS Walk-ins and they arent re-imbursed even a rupee....

Cons

1)Very Bad Middle Management....
    2)Very Bad Infra(No coffee Machines,No Company Transport,Majority offices have CRT Monitors
    3)The style of working of their managers in like its the 90's.
    4)A lot of politics
    5)No Ethics
    6)No company culture

No Advise..Their strategy is to squeeze employee benefits and that is how theyre showing operating margins of 28-30%.Evventually they will lose out to competition because of their employee policies.

If you can get a position with a consulting firm with a bigger name (Cap, Accenture, E&Y) then do.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay scale is decent, even if benefits 'bite the big one'

Cons

If you like being viewed as Staff Aug, even when you are a highly-experienced (previous VP & CTO-level) technologist, ready, willing & able to do "management consulting" level advisory services, then by-all-means "come on down" . If you don't feel that your value proposition is best described as 'a warm body in a seat' then - (to quote the Gina Davis character in Cronenberg's "The Fly" remake) - "Be afraid, be very afraid" - and to quote the latest Dr. Who companion - "Run you clever boy, Run!"

Leave behind the company's 'bodies in seats' mentality - stop trying to expand at hyper-speed, you will just implode - spend $$$ and time building up the tools/methodologies for the consulting staff and training them (real training, from accredited external sources, not the bogus internal training - you are not Accenture & never will be at the current rate).

It was an awful and worst experience.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Delhi (India)

Pros

Nothing which I can recall. However I found some good friends though.

Cons

Management, HR unsupportive, low salaries, many a times basic needs are not available at office places.

Improve

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!