Tata Consultancy Services Reviews

7,600 Reviews

Tata Consultancy Services CEO & Managing Director Natarajan Chandrasekaran
Natarajan Chandrasekaran
3,631 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance but to one needs patience to move ahead with carrer in TCS (in 792 reviews)

• Good work culture, not too much stress in work, no working hours pressure (in 430 reviews)

Cons
  • Small con is salary but compare with additonal work life balance it balances (in 184 reviews)

• Very less salary at onsite/offshore compare to other companies (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfying Experience

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, approachable senior management, friendky atmosphere

Cons

low salary compensation when compared to market

Fast paced career growth

Current Employee - Client Partner  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- ability to experiment
    - management takes risks with star performers
    - I always loved the Tata value and a sense of purpose with Tata

Cons

comparatively low pay
    very difficult to work if you are not a people person and doesn't know through ranks
    red tapes

empower people appropriately at respective levels
    cascade the strategic directions downwards

Work Personal life Balance

Current Employee - Assistant Consultant  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Work and personal life balance in very good. Work environment is good and top management is very helpful provided you are good in your job.

Cons

It's difficult to move from one main to other. You have to work in same domain for years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you can get a position with a consulting firm with a bigger name (Cap, Accenture, E&Y) then do.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay scale is decent, even if benefits 'bite the big one'

Cons

If you like being viewed as Staff Aug, even when you are a highly-experienced (previous VP & CTO-level) technologist, ready, willing & able to do "management consulting" level advisory services, then by-all-means "come on down" . If you don't feel that your value proposition is best described as 'a warm body in a seat' then - (to quote the Gina Davis character in Cronenberg's "The Fly" remake) - "Be afraid, be very afraid" - and to quote the latest Dr. Who companion - "Run you clever boy, Run!"

Leave behind the company's 'bodies in seats' mentality - stop trying to expand at hyper-speed, you will just implode - spend $$$ and time building up the tools/methodologies for the consulting staff and training them (real training, from accredited external sources, not the bogus internal training - you are not Accenture & never will be at the current rate).

Weird Issues with HR staff

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, interesting opportunities, seem genuinely interested in my personal advancement.

Cons

Horrible, horrible benefits. 2 weeks of vacation for all the way up to 5 years, and then a whopping upgrade to 3, the max. For a six figure salary, this is incredibly bad. Horrible communication with HR for questions, they never ever respond.

Respond to queries, look into the vacation issue. I'd much rather have less money and a little more vacation.

Extract more and pay less company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large client base, good opportunity if you are willing to relocate anywhere. Consistent growth

Cons

No work life balance. Extremely bad performance management system. Only employees close with senior management will receive better ratings. Most of the managers having neither technical nor managerial skills. Working with them is extremely painful.

Improve middle level management. Don’t look only for profit. Consider wellness for employees.

Ok Compnay

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to shift any technology within the project. Leverage on leaves and flexible office timings.

Cons

Micro Management, Pro longed Working Off hours, no salary increments, to much of time waste on unnecessary internal team meetings. No enthusiasm to look for new technologies.

Don't waste employers time in internal meetings every week, don't overload resources with too many projects.Think on increasing salaries once in a while.

Pay and bonuses are great, but benefits aren't exactly well-fit for US employees

Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer  in  West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Engineer in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Tata Consultancy Services as a contractor

Pros

They pay very well, have many opportunities to branch out and grow, and have a very comprehensive bonus.

Cons

The benefits are awful, does not have a very intuitive company portal, and their HR is a nightmare. I understand that because the company is global and really isn't based here in the US that it doesn't cater to us specifically, but... I wish the benefits were a little better. Also wish they had a plan for tuition reimbursement.

I'd like to think that management should pay more attention to those of us that are motivated to grow. There should be more opportunity for management to allow for a motivated employee's network to increase.

A huge company, a great company but few unqualified managers can literally make your life hell

Current Employee - Computer Programmer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Okayish package, good clients, brand name, medical policy

Cons

Poor managers who are after personal gains, lack of knowledge of mid level managers, dont know how to handle clients sometimes, escalations against managers are suppressed and the client is made to look like a troublemaker inside TCS whereas the truth is the TCS manager is incompetent. And if the same client however has a good rapport with one of his/her team members, it becomes a living hell for the TM as if because of him/her, the manager's image is tarnished or as if we are colluding with clients to make him/her look ad.

Do proper evaluation of managers who are here only to ensure their own good appraisal at the cost of other. Sometimes autocratic, though we have the tools and measures to report grievance, but seldom used.
    There are a few rotten apples though, overall I still feel its the best company to work for in India.
    This is specific to TCS Kolkata though.

Okay

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

1. Huge base of clients
    2. Job safety
    3. No visa issues

Cons

1. Leading offshore could be hectic
    2. Pay not matches job market

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!