Tate & Lyle Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014

2.8

Tate & Lyle Chief Executive Javed Ahmed
Javed Ahmed

I have learned a lot working at this place. Very useful experience

Current Employee - Process Technician  in  Loudon, TN
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Loudon, TN

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The 3 on 3 off schedule is great. Seems you get more or as much overtime as you want. Great oppertunity to really get ahead. They really try to focus on safety, they don't want you to get hurt at work. All PPE, and tools are supplied by the company.

Cons

Rotating schedule, average is 5 years of training till you get to the three on three off schedule but you make good money doing it. Training program really needs work, you basically train yourself. If you can do that you are good to go. Only one pair of boots is paid for you a year, seems I go through about 4/yr. Unpaid on call required.

Treat everyone the same. But for the most part they are very reasonable.

Sickening environment

Former Employee - Food Scientist  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Food Scientist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful facility.
    Lots of young people out of college

Cons

No expertise left due to people leaving. We've had 3 General Managers (top dog) in last 2 years.
    Empty spots / desks everywhere.
    Quiet, sad environment. depressing.
    No chance of promotion.

Too many queens here. We need some worker bees.

The culture/reward structure is changing from encouraging team players to individual performance.

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It gives you an opportunity to get experience in the food industry with an major corporation. After 2 years you can move on and it will not be viewed negatively.

Cons

The board stresses a value system that is not put into action at the VP level. They discontinued the Gallop survey this year; the last two years results were not headed in the right direction.

The market is going to create a tough year. You are losing the team that brought you to this level and replacing them with players more concerned with their own individual advancement. When things get tough they won't stay because their loyalty is only to their career.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn what you can and then move on

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Decatur, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good learning experience for new grads, opportunities for advancement

Cons

location, below average wages, money is tight for projects, too much workforce turnover

A good first experience in a big corporation, but not a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

For the most part, professional atmosphere. I developed a lot of good relationships with my coworkers and continue to stay in touch with them even after leaving. Their biggest priority is safety, which was nice, but it also seemed to be a little too much considering most of the positions dealt with chemicals/ingredients that are found in most kitchens.

Cons

I was a temporary employee, but I heard from permanent employees that the work-life balance was not good (some even came in on Saturdays just to keep from drowning in their workload). I never really received feedback, which I found problematic because I like to strive for excellence in my work. I never felt like the work I did was important or appreciated. I did not find the work I did or the industry particularly interesting, either.

I understand you don't want to be liable for employees' carelessness/ignorance, but please tone it down a little with the extreme emphasis on safety. Also, consider why turnover has been so high as of lately. Re-evaluate your methods for assigning workload and be realistic about a one-person department doing the work of 2+ employees.

Operator - Tate & Lyle Ingredients Americas, Inc. Decatur Plant

Current Employee - Process Operator  in  Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Food industry giant = job security; Comprehensive safety programs and training in the use and handling of the dangerous equipment and chemicals used in the various processes; For my area (Decatur) the pay is well above average. The benefits package is very competitive.

Cons

There is no "sick time", just three un-paid "call off" days per 12 month period. Anything over 3 days and it becomes a performance issue. This motivates operators to come in while feeling ill most of the time, which poses a health risk for the other operators.

The 3 days on/3 days off with monthly day/night rotating shifts schedule is difficult to get used to in that you are disconnected with the vast majority of the rest of society. Forget regular Church attendance, forget having weekends, forget being able to see your kids' sports activities, forget the weekly poker game, etc. During the hiring process they make it a point to mention that you'll only be working half of the year...but fail to mention that due to the high turnover rate, and drawn out hiring process (partly the fault of government regulation) the plant is woefully understaffed meaning you will be forced in for overtime. That's nice at first because the paychecks are great, but when you start working 2 of every 3 days off of forced overtime it gets old, especially when you start missing important events with your family. Nice to have the money, but it'd be great to have the life to enjoy it, too.

The rotating shift work is a huge problem in that you aren't able to develop a consistent sleeping routine, which has been shown to be an integral aspect of healthy living. While the safety programs are very thorough within the plant they fall miserably short when they tell you that fatigue is a large factor in injuries, but then refuse to remove the rotating shift which create zombie like operators as we consistently switch from days to nights and back again each month. Not as bad as some other factories, but still hard to live with.

The factory environment seems to be very behind the times as far as constructing a positive work atmosphere. The rotating shifts are a big deal for the operators, as well as the understaffing, but there is also an uptightness with the management that translates down to the operator level. It seems that factory management forgets that people have jobs so they can live a life, and that working a job isn't most peoples' purpose for living. There is an animosity between the salaried company staff and the hourly operators, and a severe lack of communication when it comes to major projects, or even little changes. As an operator it feels as though our opinion doesn't matter, we're not smart enough to know what we're talking about, when the reality is that most of us know the equipment and process much better than management considering we work with it every day. Trying to get repairs or key changes is like pulling teeth, and becomes a battle of egos with the management balking or simply refusing, calling the operator claims untrustworthy, or not significant enough for company resources. This applies for some serious issues, such as massive vibration issues with centrifuge equipment that have gone on for years in spite of operator protest.

Better communication.

Relax.

Fix stuff.

Good career builder

Current Employee - Production Engineer
    Current Employee - Production Engineer

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities for growth, but very high responsibility given quickly.

Cons

Training is minimal. "Learn as you go" seems to be company policy.

Probably one of the best jobs I'll ever have.

Current Employee - Process Operator  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to make decisions
    Ability to be promoted

Cons

12 hr shifts- 3 on days 3 on nights

Listen to the operators

Leadership Issues in the United States

Current Employee - Sales  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Paycheck

Lots of hiring of VP and directors for those looking for jobs

Great Customers

Cons

-Company preaches customer focus and doing the right things (intergrity) but are regularly trading long term relationships for short term gains. Preach one thing and do another behind closed doors.
    - Very little transparency with in the organization and lots of internal conflicts beetween groups.
    - Extreme Turnover in Management, R&D, and Speciality Food Ingredients due to changing structures every year. The most talented leave quickly after realizing the disorganization within the company
    - Production and supply issues have become common place with only a small regaurd for the customers.
    - Some medium to large food/beverage customers have met a new sales rep every year for 4 - 5 years in a row.
    - The company needs to promote from within to have upper management with experience running this company.

Start managing for the long term instead of the short term gains. This is ruining relationships with customers and driving good employees away.

I have had the ability to expand my knowledge and add value in several areas of the company

Current Employee - Vice President Solution Architecture  in  Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President Solution Architecture in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable company
    Lots of opportunities
    Business transformation foundation being laid

Cons

Decision making not cascaded
    Process centric culture just getting kicked off

Engage employees by empowering them to make decisions

Worked for Tate & Lyle? Contribute to the Community!