Taubman Centers Reviews

16 reviews filtered by
3.2
Robert S. Taubman

1. Pleasant atmosphere, great work environment

I have been working at Taubman Centers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meeting and helping friendly people and seeing familiar faces throughout the mall

Cons

Can be awfully boring when shopping traffic is slow

2. Excellent opportunity to learn about major retail real estate operations.

Current Employee - Tenant Coordinator in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tenant Coordinator in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Taubman Centers

Pros

World class players, sophisticated development of retail real estate with very successful company.

Cons

The upper management was very good to me but they could be absolutely horrific to employees who dropped the ball. Not a pretty sight.

Advice to Management

You obviously have great success & are dominant in your markets, I'd only suggest you give some of your beginning employees a little slack.

3. Not a supportive environment

I worked at Taubman Centers

Pros

Nice coworkers, many tenured disciplines under one roof, lunch program is very convenient, good pay and benefits, office space is decent.

Cons

Overworked employees, management never attempts to evaluate employees workload to determine feasibility, rather employees are told to 'figure it out'. Management takes credit for employees good ideas, and throws employees 'under the bus' on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

If you want to be a respected leader, please do your research. You'll find that earning the respect of your staff and peers is accomplished by propping up your staff, giving them the spotlight, paying them complements in a group setting. No one will think this is a sign of weakness, rather they will have more respect for you. Currently, this is not the case, and when employees do something good, the message from management is that your just doing your job.

5. As the Facilities Administrative Assistant I loved what I did, who I did it for, and who I did it with. Awesome 29 yrs

I worked at Taubman Centers

Pros

Taubman provides excellent benefits, a great work environment, and selects the best talent in the industry. Your day is always different, no two days are alike. They promote team work, encourage their employees performance, and reward excellence. Their place in the industry, makes one very proud to have been a part of such a successful team.

Cons

Taubman is number one in the industry and has great financial and legal minds standing behind their success strategies however, I fear they are cutting themselves too thin in some respects, more at the Center level, to be as effective at carrying out the daily tasks necessary to meet the day-to-day operation of the Center.

Advice to Management

Taubman is a great company; I admire the "family" ran business that has grown so much in the past 30 years. I am proud of my former affiliation with this company, but... my concerns are: you have cut yourselves too thin at the Center level to be as effective at carrying out the day-to-day operational needs of the Center and burdened other positions with work loads that can't be met or be as effective. In the long run, I think your NOI will suffer because of it as well as morale which in the long run, also affects NOI.

6. Very well run company and great to work for!

Current Employee - Analyst in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at Taubman Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It feels great to be a part of a team that is known for producing the highest quality and most valuable product in its industry. Senior management is incredibly talented, dedicated, thoughtful, long-term oriented, and they think like owners (because they are). Its a collaborative culture with great values, and there are lots of opportunities.

Cons

While some reviewers cite a lack of advancement opportunities - and the truth is that the senior management team has collectively been in place for decades - this is in my mind a unique positive of this company. Management works well together, are battle tested, and have produced top notch results. Their remaining in place I believe creates better opportunity for all employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Director

Former Employee - Director in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Taubman Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, long standing employer

Cons

No autonomy, below market pay

Advice to Management

NA

8. Great product, not so great culture

I have been working at Taubman Centers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brand and portfolio, Bobby Taubman is great, hard workers, good benefits, nice office, lunch program (pro and con),
    good resources.

Cons

Complete lack of integrity from management. Different rules for different people. Gossip is beyond tolerable, especially from management. No work life balance and limited flexibility. Minimal constructive feedback given to employees. even though there is a process to do so.

Advice to Management

Look at your management. Look at how few people go to human resources for fear of consequences. Lack of leadership is a problem. Need to look at the lack of experience of managers in actually "managing" people.

9. Respected company - little room for advancement, though

I have been working at Taubman Centers full-time

Pros

Great benefits including good health insurance, dental, vision, long-term disability and employees are able to pick their lunch from a binder of restaurant menus (paid for by Taubman). Management really works to train you and keep you around for the long-term. People are generally proud to work here, and they're well-known in the community for philanthropy.

Cons

Though it's nice that we have free lunch every day, we do not get lunch breaks. Employees can request to leave at lunch, and mine is flexible, but I hate having to ask permission to run to the post office. Pressures of changing shopping trends loom like a black cloud over the workplace.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees' worries about the company and address their concerns.

10. Coordinator

I have been working at Taubman Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing is that work days are 9 to 5

Cons

Too many to list, working holidays, micromanagers, can't leave property to run errands, vulgar, terrible work environment, no advancement opportunity...

Advice to Management

Grow up and learn to be professional

11. Professional Organization with an excellent employee focused culture

I worked at Taubman Centers

Pros

Great people, high integrity throughout. Highly respected within the industry. Without question, I enjoyed my time more with Taubman than any organization i have worked with throughout my career.

Cons

As I suggested in my previous description, there is very little not to like about the Taubman organization. Great company, culture, people and product.

Advice to Management

Continue along the path that has lead to your success.