Tauck World Discovery

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Mahar

Tauck is a long-time family-owned company that makes you feel like family as an employee

Summer Employee (Former Employee)
    Norwalk, CT

ProsEmployees are great, working environment is great. Tauck has always been one of my favorite places to work.

ConsI was only a Summer employee. I would have liked to stay with Tauck longer.

Travel guides care WAY more about what they want to do on trip and NOT at all what the tourists on trip want to do.

Travel Guide (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsGet to travel all over the world, at a big discount. Job security is good, the company keeps growing, but I don't know why.

ConsFrom middle management all the way to the CEO tolerate, even SUPPORT the travel guides (YES, the Tauck Tour travel guides) in completely changing the itinerary that the customers paid for. One travel guide decided he did not want to go to Taos so he lied to the customers stating the bus broke down and did not take them. The bus did not break down.The guide himself told me this. One lady on the trip came all the way from England just to see Taos & they did not go.When the customers complained, Tauck Tours customer service insulted the customers, upper management sent insulting letters to them. Finally upper management sent each a check for fifty dollars. The customers told me this. Fifty dollars? First, the customers had to do alot just to get fifty dollars. A trip to Taos costs at least hundreds of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen YOUR travel guides arbitrarily change the itinerary, DO NOT Tolerate it. Tell customer service to be kind to the customers, they are the ones that pay you. Also instruct customer service to immediately contact upper management and get the guide to take the customers to the sites THEY PAID for. Bus "broke down," get another bus there and take the customers to the site.

Review from a current Tauck employee

Norwalk, CT

ProsThe earlier review is from a former employee, but as a current employee who has worked at Tauck for almost 10 years, I can say that it’s a very, very good place to work. (In fact, the Hartford Business Journal ranked Tauck the #2 company in Connecticut to work for earlier this year.) There are lots of opportunity for advancement, benefits are great, and management seems to genuinely care about the employees. Plus, Tauck offers fantastic quality products, and the company gives generous incentives so employees can travel on Tauck tours and cruises.

ConsTauck is headquartered in Fairfield County, CT, which is a fairly expensive place to live.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

used to be a great place

(Former Employee)

Prospto and jeans
    The tauck family treat employees like family and show they care when they used to work in the office every day. Medical/Dental is good Vision is an option. The pay is decent.

ConsMany people in mgmt positions should not be there. These people drag the company down because they let anyone in those positions take over. It used to be family owned and it felt family owned. It has now become corporate and they dont care about you. If you have an opinion dont bother telling anyone. They dont want to hear it. You only have about 5 holidays.. Its all about if they like you not how much work you do. You get bonuses however the people they like get all the sales calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and what they have to say. Not management who doesnt give a crap, except make themselves look good in your eyes. Bring the family back into the business. Dont let non family members run that company. These people you hire have no clue and dont care. You give surveys periodically but that is a waste of time because if you say anything it doesnt even get mentioned. Your true employees are the ones that have been there for years and years.

Worked for Tauck World Discovery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tauck World Discovery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tauck World Discovery CEO Dan Mahar. All reviews posted anonymously by Tauck World Discovery employees.