Taulia

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
4.1

Bertram Meyer

Great company, great product, great team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Taulia full-time

Pros

Taulia has a very dedicated and driven team. They know their trade and are not afraid to get their hands dirty. The best thing really is the camaraderie - in good and bad times the team works closely together to deliver on their commitments. Community and collaboration is a big part of the team.
    The monetary compensation is fair compared to the market - but you don't work here just for the money. You work here to have a position in a really strong, low-ego team that pulls in the same direction to achieve great things. If you are looking for a 9-5 job that pays well and doesn't require you to step up your game and get better at what you are doing then this is the wrong place.
    The team strives for customer satisfaction, business-case delivery and building a great company. Not just for "a job".
    The new office locations outside of SF (Park City, Utah; Austin, TX; London, UK; Sofia, Bulgaria) are really tied into the overall community and there is no 2nd-class citizen at Taulia ever - from the intern up to the C-level team everybody is treated well and people value everybody's work. I could not have joined a better team at a better time.

Cons

Hiring the competitive markets that Taulia is in there are sometimes people joining for the wrong reasons. They leave relatively soon - but Taulia could be even better by making sure the wrong people don't stick around for the wrong reasons. It is hard to sustain this really fast growth and only hire great people - but Taulia could be even better at parting ways from the ones who are not a great fit. This is only a small piece though - the culture is great and people are great. But if I had to choose, this would be an improvement.

We grew to from 50 - 160 people in a really short time - continue paying attention to good systems that support this growth. Don't be afraid to change approaches radically if the new environment with more people and larger size requirers it. Also - keep an eye on the culture (as you are doing!) and sort out the bad pieces quickly.

Taulia …the good, the bad, and the ugly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Taulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brilliant and motivated young people who work hard and care about their jobs. The Product and Engineering teams are particularly well run—with great leadership—and those teams are very tight/close. Taulia has awesome health benefits, commuter cards, catered lunches, weekly happy hours, a game room, a wet bar, go-carts and all the top-tier startup benefits one would expect. Staff work hard together and play hard together--most are sincerely good friends also. If you’re a young engineer there might not be a better place to work in the City. Taulia has an innovative product that is constantly evolving and will be extremely successful.

Cons

Senior/C-Level staff are super-smart and passionate, but they’re also sophomoric, impulsive and foster a frat-boy like environment within the company. Examples: it’s encouraged to ask potential job candidates the dirtiest joke they know during interviews; a C-level manager showed a graphic during a meeting, a parody of the John Deere logo, that promoted bullying to get a laugh; our manager took us on a retreat where all we did was drink for 3 days straight—not one iota of work or “goal-setting for the year” was done.

You probably won’t be successful, or C-level management, if you don't fall within the current paradigm of male, under 40, straight and white. If you’re over 35 your resume will definitely get passed over by the current marketing leader. The company has a core value of diversity, but is predominately young, white males. Taulia’s real diversity comes from the many European countries the staff comes from.

Diversify your staff and provide an HR department where staff can speak privately and openly about work environment issues. Provide sensitivity training to your managers to foster a more diverse and inclusive workplace.

A fun and growing company.

I worked at Taulia

Pros

The people are great. It is nice to work with a growing and passionate group of people who are interested in the product. Very international too which keeps things interesting and exciting.

Cons

Nothing specific that doesn't affect every company. The work life balance is good and the locations is great. Might not have the same perks as more established companies.

Exciting place where you can get things done!

Current Employee - European Marketing Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - European Marketing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Taulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at Taulia for a short amount of time so this review is necessarily limited. However, the reasons that I joined are extremely clear to me and I've not been disappointed by the reality in any way so far. I wanted an interesting and challenging role where I can work in a fast paced environment with people who are motivated to succeed and want to work together to achieve this.

This is a company with a real vision which isn't just about how much money they are aiming to make for the investors, but rather how they want to make their customers lives better (achieve this and the money will follow anyway). For me I like the idea of buying into that vision and it makes it clear where we're going and how I fit in. It's also a company that has a very laid back style, focusing on results and working together rather than lots of formality. The plus side of this is that you are very much in charge of your own destiny here. The downside is that I suspect that if you're a person that needs to be given lots of direction, it isn't going to suit you.

There are also a couple of key attributes which I really like. Firstly, Taulia has an extensive and very open communication style and it uses as many tools as possible to make this easy. Secondly, I find the senior management both easy to approach and to engage in dialogue. This is definitely not a one way command and control culture. In a young company that is growing fast both of these attributes are critical for our future success.

Lastly, there's a comment that we're over hiring. I deliberately took a marketing job here a couple of levels down from where I could have been employed. That means I willingly and knowing do everything from strategy setting through to putting up a booth. It's an active choice I took and I took it because I want to be part of the Taulia experience and so far it's more than worth it!

Cons

I have to go and get my own coffee! (but there is free fruit and drinks)

Keep communicating a very clear vision, continue empowering people to do their jobs, don't be tempted to slip into command and control because you think you know better (we're all here to learn as well) and keep trying to make the ride fun!

Upper leadership and vision is good, extremely unorganized company, poor communication and overworked employees!

I worked at Taulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with many brilliant people.

Cons

This company has hired too many brilliant people who are now doing menial tasks. The company is extremely unorganized in their task and project delegation. Although the ideas at Taulia are conceptually great, they are turning out to be just another start-up with extremely overworked and under appreciated employees.

Hire lower quality employees. You hire above grade and you don't have enough work to keep the smartest ones intrigued or busy with anything meaningful.

This place rules!

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Taulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am inspired to write this as a reaction to the bad review that was posted recently. Literally just got out of a company meeting where our CEO very diplomatically mentioned it and we were encouraged to check it out. I mean, could you be more transparent as a management team?!?

I cannot say enough good things about Taulia. I am constantly recruiting my friends and former colleagues any time there is a position where they would fit, one landed a job and she loves it too!

Just an abbreviated list of the awesomeness that is Taulia:
    -Amazing, talented, fun people
    -So many growth opportunities, both for the company and individuals within it
    -Interesting & innovative product
    -Awesome parties for no apparent reason! (Fully catered w/booze and spouses are invited)
    -Plenty of interesting ways to get involved and engaged
    -Culture of honesty and open communication that is truly honored by ALMOST everyone
    -Super high standards for quality and efficiency keeps us always striving to improve
    -Go-carts, X-Box, game room, free food all the time, etc.
    -Great location in bright office with views of the Bay
    -Approachable and hard-working management team...seriously they're inspirational!
    -Strong presence of extracurriculars. For example, we have a team in a soccer league, starting a softball team and there's even an acapella group!

...so many more things, it's a task to narrow them down.

Cons

Compartmentalized team structure and seating arrangement means we don't get many opportunities to work with our colleagues in other departments. Gotta be sure to take periodic walks around the office

Keep hiring good people!

Work and Learn in a Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Taulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Taulia I am working with plenty of smart people and get in touch with new web technologies every day. I am learning a lot from my colleagues and get things done while having an excellent work-life-fun balance.

You'll love the pro but laid-back attitude of your colleagues and management. Truly great team spirit and smart and reasonable founders / senior management that you can talk with openly without fear of repression.

Even though the office is a fantastic SF Location engineers can work from home certain days of the week if preferred. It's great. We do SCRUM so you can plan your work-load in advance and have a say in what you can realistically handle in the upcoming weeks.

Cons

Can't come up with many... seriously. Thought long about it and the only con worth mentioning is that we're catering to few big companies that you might not like ideologically (check customers on Taulia website).

Stay as you are!

Taulia is Amazing!

I have been working at Taulia

Pros

great support from the management, friendly co-workers, new office in SOMA, free lunch on Tuesday & Thursday

Cons

I can't think of any!

You are doing an amazing job!

I feel lucky to be a part of something so great

I have been working at Taulia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Awesome leadership that acknowledges and nurtures hard working and talented employees
    - Great company with a product that really is making an impact
    - Great culture and family atmosphere. FUN is highly encouraged, I might even sat it is required :)
    - Great resources and benefits available for all employees
    - I learn something new every day
    - I have referred tons of friends and former colleagues here which I would not do if I didn't believe in the company and the great opportunity it offers. I recently wrote the following when I posted available jobs to my social group: "My company is hiring! BIG TIME!!! There are 5 open sales executive positions, several in marketing, tons in engineering, product, and many, many more.

What can I say about the company: It is by far the best place I have ever worked! It's not often that someone can honestly say "I LOVE my job, the company, and all of my colleagues!", but I find myself saying that just about every time someone asks me what I do. Come be a rockstar at Taulia!!"

Overall the best professional experience I have had to date.

Cons

- There is a lot to be done and this can be overwhelming to some.

Continue being awesome!

A place for growth

I have been working at Taulia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The people: Everyone I work with is passionate, smart, and capable. They are the type of people I would not only choose to work with, but also the type of people I want to hangout with.

- Opportunities for growth: I feel like I am constantly learning new things, and I love it. I am grateful to work at a company that encourages and enables personal and professional growth.

- Flexibility & understanding: We are a small company with big dreams, meaning we have a lot of ground to cover. But despite this, I feel like Taulia understands that I have a life outside of work, which equates to great work-life balance.

- Culture: We work hard and play hard. The environment is playful, but we "do work." I wouldn't ask for it any other way.

- The leadership: I feel like the leadership not only wants the best for the company, but also genuinely wants to best for me. I honestly did not expect to find this so abundantly in a workplace.

Cons

Honestly, none that I can think of...maybe we could add a pool table to our already existing ping pong table, pacman machine, etc... haha

Keep hiring good people!