Taylor-Guitars Reviews

Kurt Listug

1. Buffing Robot Operator amongst many other side jobs

Former Employee - Buffing Robot Operator in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Buffing Robot Operator in El Cajon, CA

I worked at Taylor-Guitars (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone there was extremely friendly, home away from home. The hourly pay was good and the benefits were excellent. I love to work and keep busy.

Cons

I am very unhappy for their reasons for letting me go. I don't want to harm anyone and cannot share what happened but it was unfair and, for lack of a better work, and absolutely disgusting reason.

2. Great expectations

I have been working at Taylor-Guitars full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Taylor is filled with a very talented, dedicated and driven work force. Most of the people that work here are the kind of people you want as neighbors and friends. The business is good, it's a relatively uncomplicated product that produces great revenue and is part of a market that is in the business of bringing contentment to peoples lives. There is a lot to like about certain aspects of this company.

Cons

Taylor is growing, and not wiser with age. Like many businesses that grow the company has become more focused on it's ability to sell guitars than it's ability to produce them. Management is erratic, in some groups it is absent, in others it is dictatorial. There is no consistency. Much of the entire company operates off of tribal knowledge and rarely are support needs planned for or met. If you are wanting to make a competitive wage this will not likely be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Get organized. Consider your workforce capabilities. Recognize that some people do not have the skills to manage but are great at what they do. Do this real time, nobody benefits from management dragging their feet. Become clear on your objectives, all of them and let the people who are doing the work know what those are. Value peoples skill sets and education, even if they aren't focused on Luthiery or music. For HR, recognize dysfunctional management and eliminate it before it becomes more toxic.

3. Great company as long as youre not on the bottom

Current Employee - Production in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Production in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Taylor-Guitars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day shift hours are nice. Come in early and leave by 3pm. Co-workers generally share common interests and values. Tons of time off and the PTO to compensate. Great health and 401k benefits. Direct Supervisors are very approachable

Cons

Repetitive, but thats production work for you. Very slim chance for advancing. People here stay for years and years and it makes moving up the chains almost impossible. Insulting compensation for what is expected out of a days work.

Advice to Management

If youre going to call production workers "craftsmen" then pay them like it.

5. Awesome company, great job & opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Taylor-Guitars full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Taylor for over 10 years, couldn't imagine being anywhere else. This is a place that you can truly stay for your entire working life if it's right for you. I've had advancement opportunities, I feel that my opinions matter and are heard, and the culture here is family-like and hard-working. Great place.

Cons

Honestly, not many for me. There are definitely hard times here just like anywhere else, but how we go about getting passed them is part of what makes the company great.

Advice to Management

The more you interact with non-management employees, the better off we are. Face-time means a lot to people and helps us all stay on the same page.

6. Good company, great culture and coworkers

Former Employee - Supply Chain in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in San Diego, CA

I worked at Taylor-Guitars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great manager with macro management style - very helpful and collaborative coworkers - good perks (snacks, events...)

Cons

they can let people go quickly. ( not sure about the reasons)

7. Awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Buyer/Purchasing Agent
    Former Employee - Buyer/Purchasing Agent

I worked at Taylor-Guitars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, great team and family atmosphere, free onsite chiropractor, espresso machines, management cares about their employees, end of year bonuses, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Getting docked for being 5 minutes late. This was obviously my fault, not the employers.

RSS Feed </> Embed