TeaLeaf Technology Reviews

Rebecca Ward

1. IBM Tealeaf

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TeaLeaf Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM Tealeaf is a great company to work for, compensation is above average, I have the freedom any entrepreneur enjoys and a great support team that always does their best.

Cons

You have to be patient at IBM.

2. Successful, despite itself

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TeaLeaf Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The software is useful and has lots of potential for growth. There are also some really talented people that work here who I truly respect. Workers are given a great deal of responsibility and flexibility.

Cons

For every productive person that works here, there's 5 people that are an absolute drain on the company. There are no controls on code quality, no peer-reviews, and no cross-team communication. Teams are heavily siloed. Adding or modifying simple features tend to drag out to multiple month long ordeals. The pacing of this company is sluggish in general (for a technology company). I'm guessing bonuses are distributed by seniority. There's no other way to explain the fact that my peer got a huge bonus, after I spent nearly a year fixing their bugs, while I got nothing. That's when I knew I was wasting my time here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and reward people who make positive contributions, instead of people who have been taking up space the longest.

3. Great company and even greater product, dedicated people with energy and great commitment to its customers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TeaLeaf Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique product that really delivers value to its customers

Cons

Executive management can be more transparent

Advice to Management

Executive management can be more transparent; share the roadmap and company strategy

5. good and necessary products, bad management

I worked at TeaLeaf Technology

Pros

The product line is obviously best-of-breed and obviously needed by any Web app/site worth significant money. As a consequence, customers love it.

Cons

The management was loath to spend money and sanguine about trying to do too much work with too few workers. No employee-training programs. Though it has definitely always been best-of-breed, the product's development needs to get ahead of today's technology curve by hiring experts in the kinds of data processing it performs.

Advice to Management

Hire to get ahead of the customer-demand curve instead of perpetually trying to squeeze more out of the people who are already there.

Despite some issues, was a great experience

I worked at TeaLeaf Technology

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Passionate people. Amazing clients. Totally differentiated selling proposition. Very fun to be smack in the middle of the ecommerce space.

Cons

Ambiguous future vision. The company is butting up against some other, bigger companies and spaces, and they need to figure out how to compete, differentiate, partner, etc. A bit arrogant at times, but that's not always a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Invest more in people. Appreciate their hard work. Better articulate the long-term play in the marketplace. Invest in the company culture.

7. Great people, great product

I worked at TeaLeaf Technology full-time

Pros

Has attracted a lot of great talent and retained most of them for a long time. The product is loved by most of it's users, it's unique with little real competition. Acquisition by IBM means it will benefit from larger sales force and product complexity fits well with IBMs consulting focus.

Cons

Recently acquired by IBM, don't know what that will do to the culture yet. Primarily Microsoft-based platform, so requires that background for developers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and reward the people.

8. Good company and product reputation; cult-like "inner circle"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at TeaLeaf Technology

Pros

Great Product with great value easily communicated means good customers. Good overall earning potential for sales people. Very strong industry reputation and value as a resume strength and eye-opener.

Cons

Cult like inner circle. Management paranoia is rampant. Complete and utter lack of open communication with employees-refuse to admit/reveal any information. Changes in employee roles, product changes, corporate strategies, etc are revealed and communicated on a "need to know" basis as though military secrets are at stake.

Advice to Management

Even a shred of honesty and respect for your employees would count for a lot. When a key employee leaves the company and 6 months later, it hasn't been "revealed" there is too much hyper sensitivity among management. Two Senior managers run the company and ultimately make all decisions. Need to spread the decision making and open up the discourse.

9. Lack of vision

I have been working at TeaLeaf Technology

Pros

Good work/life balance and office location

Cons

Risk-averse management team and slow growth

10. uh, ho hum

I have been working at TeaLeaf Technology

Pros

3 weeks paid vacation. Intelligent and capable emplyees and staff. You can get a nice title at Tealeaf, just done expect to move up.

Cons

Expect nothing and expect nothing to change....except your compensation. Which could change several times a year. Poor managment and vision. Glass ceilings galore...

Advice to Management

Make something happen..beit a merger or sale. Link up with partners. Consider a SaaS solution like the rest of the marketplace.

RSS Feed </> Embed