Teach For India

teachforindia.org

Teach For India Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

volunteer position: positive experience

Campaign Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI worked as a campus representative.

rewarding work for a social cause; opportunity to network with students on Campus

Conscommunication with TFI office in India is sometimes challenging with different time zones

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Summer Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working environment, passionate people who are committed to the cause, no strict hierarchy

ConsLess face time and more working virtually

Great working with kids, city management team can be very corporate

Fellow, Teach for India (Former Employee) Pune (India)

ProsYou get to develop yourself personally. You learn patience, answering questions of kids makes you question your own prejudices

ConsThe higher management have also quit corporate after around 10 working and wish for similar functioning which doesn't go well with teaching as it cannot follow corporate procedures as each child and each classroom is different

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher management should become humble and receptive of fellows.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fulfilling, exciting fellowship with amazing work culture and a lot to learn.

Fellow, Teach for India (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

Pros*Exposure and Learning - Immense Personal Growth
    *Great Work Culture
    *Challenging
    *Excellent support to fellows

ConsTeaching can be frustrating sometimes, but the support and feedback makes up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about adapting to the existing curriculum instead of implementing

Enriching, Satisfying

Fellow, Teach for India (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsHere you just don't work for the sake of it. You work for a cause (bridging the educational inequity). It is a reason enough to to be part of this organization (it is actually a movement)

ConsDifficult to find appropriate post fellowship opportunities based on this 2 years of fellowship experience and convince prospective employers of the things learnt during the fellowship.Maybe slowly other organizations will recognize the quality of the work every fellow does during these 2 years. I am pretty optimistic.

Fellow

Fellow, Teach for India (Current Employee) New Delhi (India)

ProsFriendly atmosphere
    good learning experience
    proper training

ConsNot as such. If you are passionate about working in education sector then this is the place you can try.

Advice to Senior Managementgood work

Great learning experience

Intern (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsEncouraging seniors and co-operative peers.

ConsData collecting could be physically taxing.

Experience as TFI Fellow

Fellow, Teach for India (Former Employee) Pune (India)

ProsVery good work culture. People from various background. Enough pay to maintain decent living standard and also making impact on society. The 'Be the Change' project give opportunity for social entrepreneurship. Ample opportunities for leadership seminars, workshops and committee roles. Good opportunity to grow within the company. Professionalism.

ConsMany placement opportunities, but mostly in education and social sector. The organisational goals are prioritized over individual goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve systems and relationship with government schools. Keep the awesome culture and senior management. Maintain good mix of Indian and Foreign staff. Earlier, it was mostly foreigners. Involve candidates from smaller cities and govt teachers as fellows.

Great organization with a phenomenal set of people

Development Manager (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsAlignment of everyone at the organization to the vision
    Diversity and different points of view
    Strong belief in the power of one
    Belief in collective impact to end educational inequity
    Flexibility, understanding managers
    Fun people!

ConsAbsence of a career trajectory / growth path
    Non-transparent HR policies and procedures

It was really a very bad experience working here.

Fellow (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsExcept for the fact that you get to work with children, there is nothing good about this organisation.

ConsNepotism is rampant. Fellows who are close to management are given priority over everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach..

Worked for Teach For India? Contribute to the Community!