Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Teach for America Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • If you are with a supportive corps, excellent professional development(in 43 reviews)

• It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge(in 36 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year(in 28 reviews)

Campus Coordinator Internship

Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) Hanover, NH

ProsTeach for America has a strong name brand. Every employer recognizes it and will usually comment on it. I assume that the "white man savior" image crosses all sort of disciplines. The people I generally interacted with really care about the mission and what TFA represents. They were generally very positive and mention the various benefits being associated with the organization.

ConsI question the ethnics of Teach for America and the negative affects it has on the unions within public schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your original mission.

Teacher

Teacher (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAs a corp member it was a good learning experience, but everything depends upon where you're placed. I grew as a person, but it was by far the hardest thing I've ever done.

Consnot sustainable if you want to be good at it. Requires self-motivation and diligence. Entirely depends upon where you are placed.

Frustrating

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of flexability, personal growth, benefits, and create your own schedule

ConsTERRIBLE office culture. People gossip way too much, lack of respect for one another and always unclear expectations. No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a non-profit this should be way for efficient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a challenging position where you can't care about people being confrontational

Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsIt prepares you well for the real world

ConsThere was no real training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease spend more time helping prepare for points of contention employees will face.

Challenging and sometimes rewarding

TFA Corps Member (Former Employee)

Pros- you work with motivated young people that have strong leadership qualities
    - you work to bring out the best in students

Cons- training is not enough to feel prepared
    - hours are very long and you are not compensated for the long hours
    - many corps members are used to having big successes result from hard work - teaching is often about the minor victories, making it harder to be satisfied with your results
    - in some regions, like New Mexico or South Dakota, you will be working in extremely rural areas on Indian Reservations and not have access to grocery stores/gyms etc - it's a big sacrifice for a 20 something (this is not a con for everyone)

Advice to Senior Management- training needs to improve
    - expectations need to be more realistic, it often felt like not sleeping to write the "perfect" lesson plan was valued above being well-rested and better able to interact with your students

Good place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong emphasis on professional development

ConsLong, long hours. The expectation is that you will ALWAYS be working to end educational inequity.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission-oriented, and people care about one another

ConsLots of discussions before making a decision.

I really enjoyed the challenge and experience I gained in the program.

ProsIt is an incredible leadership opportunity.
    It is rewarding to see students improve academically.
    I have a much deeper understanding of education.

ConsTraining style is to throw you in the deep end and hope you are capable of taking the initiative to train yourself.

TFA

ProsInvaluable Experience to grow and help students.

ConsIt isn't that lucrative of a position.

Difficult but Rewarding

Corps Member (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsTransformative experience that can teach you a lot about yourself as well as the community in which you teach. Oh, and you get to relearn a lot of helpful information that you forgot in college. As it turns out, that is a lot of stuff.

ConsA lot of oversight. It is hard to feel independent and in control when people are constantly checking up on you. That works really well for a lot of people--not so much for me. But that's a personal thing. My experience was overall very positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!