Teach for America
www.teachforamerica.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Teach for America Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros:
  • "TFA is an excellent organization for professional development and has a very supportive culture"
    in 39 reviews
  • "It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Both placement districts and Teach For America expect long hours"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Director, Recruitment

Recruitment (Current Employee)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time

ProsStrong focus on professional development, lots of opportunity for growth, creativity, and leadership opportunities. Fun team!

ConsYoung organization could mean lacking perspective at times

I really enjoyed my time as a corps member

Spanish Teacher (Former Employee)
Clarksdale, MS

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey provided amazing professional development and teacher training to first and second year teachers.

ConsBoth placement districts and Teach For America expect long hours. Do not expect a six-figure salary. There will be a lot of out of pocket expenses as a teacher.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic about norms/expectations in placement districts.

Great place to work but still needs some growing up

I have been working at Teach for America full-time

ProsTFA is filled with some incredible people who care deeply about the mission and work super hard. They treat each other with respect for the most part and the culture is very inviting and friendly.

ConsMany people in the org have grown through the ranks and don't often have outside experiences or perspective on what it takes to run a sizable organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just bank on the power of great people. Play a more active role in setting direction and orchestrating work. Make tough calls when needed and don't leave everything to decision by committee.

Greatest learning experience I've ever had.

I have been working at Teach for America

ProsThere is a great deal of support as a corps member form other teachers, corps members, MTLD's, staff. I have always found the help I needed. I was also able to transform lives of students while transforming myself into a leader.

ConsThe task of "repairing" our education system can be overwhelming. There is also a struggle to maintain a work life balance the first and second year because there is so much to learn.

Great experience for people looking to make a difference after college

Teacher (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent summer institute training
-Continued support throughout the two years

Cons-Mandatory Saturday meetings once monthly, (that don't really help you professionally)
-If your placement school is disorganized and supportive you are stuck!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are selecting people who actually want to make a difference, and not people looking for a resume booster.

Technology Team : Intoxicating place to work.

Technology Team (Former Employee)

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have some smart folks who have a lot of passion for the work. But, their energies need to be directed towards the bigger purpose of TFA.

ConsTechnology team is highly political. There are some senior IT folks sitting in the Bay area who are clueless about what's happening in the New York office. They make random decisions without knowing the ground reality. Extremely political atmosphere. Those aligned with top management are safe. Others are left to fend for themselves. Also, limited growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to the ground level and get a feel of what's happening in the technology team. The economy's improved and tech folks who feel under-appreciated will not stay that long.

Not for everyone, but a great place to work

Assistant (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for less than a year

ProsAttitude, professional development, work from home

ConsConstantly being restructured, acting as a small scale organization when they need to adopt some bigger, more streamlined ideas. Inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers! TRAIN THEM. Not everyone is meant to have a direct report.

It has been and continues to be an uplifting experience.

Managing Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTime off is great. Work environment is open and challenging. People are genuine in why they do their work. The mission makes it worth it.

ConsBureaucratic like any for-profit organization. Tends to give more credence to folks that were Alumni of the program. Personal growth is spoken about but rarely anything done about it. Praise from managers is almost non-existent. Promotions do not happen unless you know people above you that are willing to fight for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some money in training and personal growth. Try to look past being in the program and try to improve the organizations overall view of ones self growth.

Project Coordinator

Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Teach for America

ProsPretty much the only pro of working with TFA is the name recognition and prestige...

ConsOnce you realize that your job is only worsening the problems in public schools, you don't want to be a part of it

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe be honest? Don't make up recruitment numbers?

Their "summer training" definitely does NOT prepare you for teaching in real life.

I have been working at Teach for America

ProsThe staff is very nice and your Manager in Teacher Development Leader will do whatever it takes to help you succeed. The fact it is an Americorps program is also nice. They also have a lot of contracts with school districts so getting a job is not too difficult.

ConsOnce accepted, you are required to participate in Summer Institute in which you teach summer school. It is an interesting experience, but teaching one class in summer school is not the same as teaching in real life. They also cannot guarantee you will teach the same grade or subject as you will in the fall. It is not unheard of that someone who will be teaching kinder during the school year teaches high school seniors during Summer Institute.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit more education majors

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teach for America CEO Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard . All 302 reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees.