Teach for America

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
3.8

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career (in 52 reviews)

• It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 45 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging, but worth it

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TFA has really helped support me in my development as a teacher. I actually did major in education in college, yet I feel as though I learned more with TFA/Institute than over my 4 years at my "highly accredited" university. The fact that they encourage teacher growth/development but finding you stipends for your masters degree is also really incredible

Cons

It is VERY tough work and almost nothing can truly, fully prepare you for being a teacher in a very high-needs/high-demands area

Associate, Compliance Support

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, learning curve is high, great work-life balance, not stressful, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Not as intellectually stimulating as other jobs

great place to be on staff, highly recommend it if you are aligned with the organizational mission

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*very intentional and values-driven organization
    *competitive compensation for non-profit organization
    * strong benefits package
    * hardworking, dedicated, fun co-workers
    * great alumni and staff network and opportunity to learn from very talented, caring people with experiences in a variety of for-profits and non-profits
    * flexible work hours (long hours, but can work remotely for many national team roles)
    * opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career

Cons

* long work hours - everyone is dedicated to their work and many are young team members without families so sometimes tricky to find balance or you feel like you don't want to say no (although organization is committed to providing tools and resources that support this)
    * going through organizational transition between regional and national teams so staff experience and strength of your manager / professional development may differ based on specific team
    * if you are on the national team, may operate in a very virtual way, include several communication loops and checkpoints with a variety of stakeholders before rolling out big projects, and/or have lots of national travel (this could be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for and your work style but good to know)

I respect the transparency and intentionality with which the most senior staff members operate. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on staff, and would love to return to staff again if I find an aligned opportunity. As I indicated in my exit interview, I think it would be worthwhile to dedicate more organizational resources to the staff experience and more consistently retaining and developing staff members who have been on the team for a while, particularly given organizational shifts

Great growth environment

Current Employee - Director, Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Energetic, ambitious co-workers working toward an powerful mission.

Cons

Like all nonprofits, you are stretched thin.

Cut down on management and continue to invest in people who execute.

Great People

Former Employee - Admissions Help in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Admissions Help in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

People are wonderful and very nice environment to be in where folks seems to get along well together for the common good.

Cons

It can be a little hectic and unorganized at times, but that seems to be the nature of teaching anyway!

Great cause, astronomical work load.

Former Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time

Pros

Working for the improvement of America's deeply flawed education system is a pro in any capacity. Great job opportunities once you finish your mandatory 2 year commitment.

Cons

Terribly skewed work-life balance. Expect to either be teaching, grading papers, lesson planning, or attending grad school at any given moment during the week.

Whatever school you are placed in, you are forced to stay in. And if you are being overworked or mistreated, don't expect too much sympathy or support from TFA.

Corps Member Review

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for TFA have nothing to do with TFA. Your students will love you if your just honest with them and care about them. Long hours but rewarding in the long run.

Cons

Not enough support from TFA staff both during TFA and post TFA -- PARTICULARLY not helping corps members to find jobs outside of education

Do what you said you would do when people accepted, support by listening in difficult times

It was a good experience.

Current Employee - Program Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Happy people, great culture, productive.

Cons

Heavy workload and challenging environment.

Pare down workload

Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

driven people, talented staff. some of the brightest colleagues I've ever worked with were at TFA. everyone is deeply committed to and passionate about the organization's mission and goals.

Cons

talent and results are often recognized, not always rewarded with promotions or raises. decisions occasionally felt like they were made in a top-down fashion rather than in a collaborative one.

Great place to work if you can cut it...

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Be at the center of both Ed Reform and modern large Non-Profit business Work with some of the most competent and motivated staff in the US.

Cons

Almost all staff are highly motivated and strong performers. TFA has acheived tremendous growth in very short time. This makes it a great place to work, but it also leads to a lot of instability as many become more ambitious than TFA can demand. The result is there are a lot of very inexperienced managers which can quickly result in domino effects of staff shuffling/retention. There is a reason every 10th person at TFA is HR.

Clean house in HR, start over a vision to build leadership within and ensure this is an integral part of every decision. It's too easy to operate a revolving door when you have access to the young and talented from the program. That doesn't equate to excellence in the long term and a lot of the negativity currently happening can be drawn directly to this problem