Teach for America Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • There are a lot of opportunities for professional development (in 52 reviews)

• Feeling like you're making a difference (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is pretty difficult to achieve (in 45 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 31 reviews)

Teach For America is an amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Lawrence, KS

Pros

The people you work with - very hard working, dedicating, innovative folks. I am continually learning from my colleagues, many of whom have become very close friends. I feel extremely comfortable sharing my opinion and I know that I am heard. I feel valued. I have many opportunities for professional development and am often given praise and feedback to ensure that I am continually growing. I work with my manager to pick out several things that I want to professionally develop (she will agree that they are beneficial to me, my job, and the direction that I want to go in the future) and we work on those 2 or 3 things for 6 months. After that, we look at progress and establish a new professional development plan at that point. In my experience, there has been many opportunities for me to explore my interests across teams: I worked on the recruitment team for 2 years and then wanted a change of pace and now work on the teacher preparation team.

Cons

Sometimes Teach For America can be too focused on work and not enough on personal goals. We're working very hard to ensure personal and professional alignment, but I think it's the area where we lag the most. Often, deadlines and work loads are determined by the individual because if that individual spoke with his/her manager about being overwhelmed, his/her manager would help to prioritize the work load.

Advice to Management

You do a phenomenal job making sure that we are focused on the right priorities. You help me to see a connection between my work, those priorities, and student achievement. In part because of your work, I do not feel isolated in my operations work - I very much feel that what I do contributes to our teams ultimate aims and the organization's mission. I appreciate that you share why big decisions have been made and give non-senior management folks the opportunity to voice their opinions, when appropriate.

Goal focused, great culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great sense of purpose, interesting work on one of our nation's hardest problems Varied job responsibilities from recruiting to mentoring to other

Cons

Sometimes the culture can be a little too goal focused when it comes to performance reviews which sometimes leads to easy goals being set.

Advice to Management

I've always admired the leadership, especially after reading Wendy Kopp's book and seeing the difficulties and improvements that have already been made.

3. A powerful program aiming to eradicate educational inequities that plague our nation by going right at the root cause.

Current Employee - Corps Member in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Charlotte, NC

Pros

- Abliity to work with other like-minded individuals who have extremely strong backgrounds - Very strong professional development - Collaborative group work enviroment (especially considering teaching tends to be very individual) - Solutions-Oriented management - Managers are always looking to improve your performance - Very challenging work - but ultra-rewarding

Cons

- Not everyone is fit to be a teacher... and teaching is much harder than anyone ever tells you - Long work hours - very easy to over work yourself and lose balance

Advice to Management

Nothing major - but doing your best to help corps members find balance early on would be helpful... it is easy to burn out.

5. Amazing Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Teach For America's core values is not just a mantra, they live by it and all, even senior manager, are held by the same standards. There is a strong focus on individual development and personal/professional alignment. Overall, best organization I've ever worked for.

Cons

There's not alot of romm for negotiation when it comes to salary. However, it's fairly competitive.

Advice to Management

management is doing a great job.

6. Making a difference

Former Employee - Corps Member in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Honolulu, HI

Pros

You know that the work you do has a real impact in the community you work in. TFA sets you up very well for a career in education and beyond.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be very difficult.

7. TFA is everything I would want from a non-profit organization in terms of both mission and organizational effectiveness.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

TFA was recently recognized as one of Fortune's 100 great places to work in America, and one of the few non-profits to make it on the list. TFA is committed to its people, and recognizes that people are what make success and achieving the mission of the organization possible. Compensation is high for a non-profit of its size, and the benefits package and flexibility are unparellled.

Cons

The organization has been in growth mode for the better part of a decade, and the year on year growth the organization has tried to sustain has created challenges. In particular, TFA must continue to invest significant energy in hiring and onboarding new talent, which provides tremendous opportunity, but also means that managers often must take this on on top of ambitiuous goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your talent. This investments pay tremendous dividends and are the key to growing to scale across the next 5 years and beyond.

8. It was the most rewarding experience ever!

Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

So much support, so rewarding, long hours but so worth it!

Cons

They aren't very clear on their placements.

Advice to Management

Please take region preferences more seriously and give transfers more easily.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Corps Member in Henderson, NC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Henderson, NC

Pros

TFA is a wonderful job if you want to have the opportunity to make a positive difference in kids lives. Right out of college, you'll be given responsibility to teach children who are likely years behind their peers. It is a humbling and rewarding experience that I would recommend to anyone. That said, the work is grueling. Make sure you are applying for TFA for the right reasons. Don't do TFA because you want a resume boost or because you're unsure of what you want to do with your career. Grad schools love TFA alums. Networking with a remarkable group of successful people. Life-changing experience. Possibility to obtain a graduate degree while teaching.

Cons

Expect to work between 50-60 hours a week. You will probably take work home from school. I know a few people who were efficient enough to complete all of their work by 5pm each day, but the vast majority of my peers would work later than that. Grading + Lesson planning and school sports/extracurricular activities add up.

Advice to Management

Management in TFA is doing a good job so far. Management should carefully expand the corps and make sure the organization maintains itself through its expansion.

A great place to learn

Former Employee - Coordinator, Alumni Affairs in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator, Alumni Affairs in New York, NY

Pros

-close relationships with managers -flexible schedule -great benefits -a job you can feel good about -No feeling of hierarchy -constant feedback

Cons

-although personal/professional balance is preached, it doesn't always happen -hard to move up, especially if you are not an Alum of TFA

Advice to Management

I think you are doing some great things. What I liked most about working at TFA is the feeling that everyone was a colleague. It was not until after I left TFA (I left to join the corps), that I really began to appreciate the culture of feedback that is created at TFA. I would definitely go back in the future.

11. Great place to work if you're passionate about education

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great work/life balance. A lot of people work from home, so there isn't a focus on face time. Really passionate people.

Cons

People tend to move quickly in and out of roles. A lot of turnover. It's a non-profit, so there's aren't a lot of perks.

Advice to Management

Help people understand the potential career path to management and tell people when there is no path for them. It's okay that not everyone will be a senior leader.

RSS Feed </> Embed