Teach for America

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.8

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • If you are with a supportive corps, excellent professional development (in 46 reviews)

• Ability to work from home and have a flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 41 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience as Teach For America Corps Member

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

TFA does an excellent job preparing new teachers during Institute IF (and this is a big if) the individual takes advantage of the experience. TFA also provides excellent support and professional development opportunities throughout the year, though each region may have differences. If you want an experience where you learn and grow while helping students learn, this is a great choice.

Cons

You have to want to work and figure out a way to learn from all your mistakes without taking anything personally. Teaching is not easy - it takes someone who does not step away from a challenge. Additionally, TFA can be a bit too corporate at times, focusing more on data and results and not the journey for both the corps member and the students.

TFA has been an incredibly rewarding and humbling experience.

Current Employee - Corps Member  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot about myself and developed as a professional. It was great to be in the city and network. If you're a teacher, it's a great place to start. If you didn't inted to be a teacher, it is still an AMAZING experience.

Cons

Some people are a bit over-the-top. Training can be underwhelming in certain aspects, but it is continually improving.

I taught at a charter high school in Detroit, Michigan.

Former Employee - Corps Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the perks were a great group of people to make friends with. Other corps members could help you with your move to Detroit, and were an immediate social network. Additionally, my school was an especially supportive place with strong leadership, (though this is not true of every school in Detroit--at all).

Cons

In my region, the issues that corps members had with their schools were greater than the issues that TFA regularly addressed (the main example being school administration). TFA walks a fine line, because at the same time as it helps corps members, it also needs to maintain good relationships with districts, including some terribly-managed districts. This occasionally leaves corps members feeling unsupported.

Keep working on the balance between helping teachers and working with districts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with many intelligent people.

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Great leadership development and full benefits. Alumni networking is a plus.

Cons

Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Corps Member Advisor
    Current Employee - Corps Member Advisor

I have been working at Teach for America as a contractor

Pros

The best thing about working at Teach For America is the family you create while working there.

Cons

The hours are long and tiresome if you are not driven by passion

Tears For America

I worked at Teach for America

Pros

- Great (albeit idealistic) vision

Cons

- Unrealistic expectations
    - Zero support and guidance
    - Blind leading the blind in regards to MTLD-corps member relationships
    - No care or concern for corps members
    - No work-life balance whatsoever

Figure out whether you want to be an education equity advocacy organization or an organization that works to develop strong teachers to teach in low-income schools.

Awesome internship experience with a growing non-profit

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome office culture- everyone is very friendly, lots of team lunches and happy hours. Managers really push you to explore your interests within the organization and provide countless opportunities for training and education.

Cons

Some disorganization form upper-level leadership

Lots of work... but totally worth it.

Current Employee - Math Teacher  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will have really long hours and very difficult days where everything seems dire... but you will undoubtably go through a life-changing experience with your students.

Cons

Sometimes feels very corporate and disorganized. Insider culture. Working with kids and administration is tough.

Great, smart people and organization values! Working on sustainability.

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Seriously smart, motivated, driven, curious people who want to learn and want to do good. Always quality work. Feels motivating to work amongst that.
    Also, the organization as a whole is just so deeply reflective and willing (and wanting!) to learn. Mistakes are made (like in any place) but I'm so impressed by TFA's immediate desire to listen, learn, and grow.

Cons

At the end of the day, TFA has a mission to serve others. But, that non-profit status coupled with the high achievement stance and urgency for results, means lots of work (long hours, pressure, etc.) with (at least for me) inadequate pay. That's only so sustainable for so long. I think room for individual growth/promotion can also stagnate, given the now really large size of the org.

No support or Guidance

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

None except to meet others from interesting schools

Cons

Poorly organzied with little to no support or guidance on what is expected or tools such as curriculum to enable learning. This has been such an unrewarding experience I cannot wait to see it end.

Why are you here? How are you even accepted into the schools you are participating in?

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!