Teachers Federal Credit Union

Robert G. Allen

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Financial Services Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Services Assistant Manager

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

TFCU was a great place to work.. The benefits are great, I met a lot of great people and I believed in what the credit union stood for! Advancement is easy as long as you put in the effort! I was sad to leave...

Cons

Communication was sometimes lacking

2. Financial Services Rep

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary, vacation pay, benefits good

Cons

Policy is contradictory. it depends on your branch manager. Going from branch to branch lacks consistency and going from manager to assistant manager lacks consistency so staff and members are frequently confused.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people on mass quantities and re-evaluate your goals for the branches.

3. Worst Bank on Long Island

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were pretty good. Although they've been getting worse the last couple of years.

Cons

Negatives... where do I begin? 1. No communication between departments. You're actaully not allowed to talk to other departments and you'll get "yelled" at if you do. Yes, management actually yells and screams at staff... 2. Senior Management treats employees like children. No respect for employees, ideas and solutions aren't valued or welcome. 3. Management rules with an iron fist and thinks the way to motivate employees is through fear. Yep, more yelling...

5. Call center

Pros

Flexible Tuition reimbursement Get your own desk Good work environment

Cons

Have to work until 6

6. Processor

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Co-workers are nice. Scared but nice.

Cons

Management is the worst. They are unprofessional and do not help the staff at all. They are a bunch of arrogant people. They scream and curse at staff on a regular basis. I would not recommend this company in any capacity.

Advice to Management

Your behavior is counter productive.

7. Don'T Do It!!!!!

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Some nice people have worked there

Cons

Worst place to work. VP screams & yells at people.If you work there long enough they reward you by capping your salary so that you can continue to work without any raises for years to come.. If you are not one of the favored few you will never get a promotion no matter how hard or well you work! Petty rules by petty people who are proving who's the boss

Advice to Management

Treat people with fairness & respect. I doubt you are capable of this.Until then no one in their right mind will want to work there

FSR

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers (which you can find basically at any job)

Cons

I would never recommend this company to anyone. Its impossible to advance, and micromanaged beyond belief. Back office has little knowledge of policy and procedure for the branches. AVPs are rude and nasty, along with the rude back office and mortgage staff. Policies would be changed without any notice to employees. I spent way too long at this company and finally wised up.

Advice to Management

Take every single person out and hire people who know how to run a business.

Lost potential because of micromanagement, drama and politics.

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary, great benefits, bonuses every year, great friends. It's nice working for a not for profit, a lot of the time you can get behind the products we offer and feel like you're helping the members. Possibility for growth, sunshine committee and community involvement committee, employee discounts on loans.

Cons

Upper management micromanages with a stubborn and outdated 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' attitude. Employees find out news about the credit union after it goes public to members, and sometimes the members are the ones informing the employees. Everything has to be a secret, all new branches and developments with the credit union are kept secret until the last second. Interdepartment communication is horrific and there is so much animosity. One minute late for a lunch or for clocking in is considered a late in your record, which can add up to warnings and termination. I've never seen a company so strict about 1 minute. Branch managers run each branch differently with different policies, no consistency. There is no employee accountability, which causes hard working employees to wonder why they're even trying, if the slacker over there is getting paid the same amount and not doing anything. It also causes errors which are not addressed in a timely or efficient manner. Communication with membership is lacking, which coinsides with a lot of angry members calling in or going to the branch. Even though there is a suggestion box, when an employee uses it there is always backlash for not going through the chain of command. The Internal HR department is not bad, but the company needs an outsourced HR because no one feels comfortable going to them with any issues. Training is lacking for most of the employees, either because they don't care to learn or they just haven't gone in so long they don't know the updated policies. No one keeps up to make sure the employees are well versed in the policies and procedures. There is an aura of defeat with employees from years and years of their ideas and requests being denied with no good reasons behind it.

Advice to Management

Please, listen to your staff. Take open suggestions. Your way is not always the best, and your staff actually has great ideas. Cut the managers and supervisors out of the command when it comes to suggestions. This means not scolding the supervisors for not bringing it up beforehand. If there is a suggestion that cannot be followed through on, give good reasons, speak with the person who suggested it and explain it. Have an outside company come in and conduct surveys, confidential, for each employee to fill out. Leave space for certain complaints, for ideas for growth, and any problems with co-workers. I can tell you the last survey that was taken was not an honest representation because everyone was afraid of repercussions. Make it easier to fire employees, I see terrible employees keep their jobs for stupid reasons, and great employees lose theirs because they tend to be 5 minutes late everyday. Offer cross training to all employees. There is a lot of potential for growth and I am afraid it is all going downhill because of the 'Why should I even try?' atmosphere in the employee base. This needs to be addressed

Mortgage Servicing

Former Employee - Mortgage Servicer in Farmingville, NY
    Former Employee - Mortgage Servicer in Farmingville, NY

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Met a few nice people and made a few friends when I worked in Farmingville location. The hours were decent.

Cons

I would never recommend this company to anyone to work for or have an account with. I was there almost 5 years. They are very cheap, pay sucks, micromanaged, management team is the worst I've ever seen. Nasty, nasty managers in mortgage dept. Nit picking witches. So unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Getca personality, learn how to treat people with respect and maybe one day you'll get some in return.

Experience depends on Branch Manager

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full timers get every other Saturday off, and every sunday off. Each year there is a longevity bonus given to FT & PT Easy daily tasks great place to work during college, or right out of high school while you still live at home...$$$

Cons

PT employees are treated very different than FT, sort of similar to "the help". no commission, yet a huge push for sales recently very political with promotions...not based solely on merit HIGHLY micro managed Compensation...enough said

Advice to Management

Include lower level employees on the review of the branch managers to get a more clear understanding of daily life inside of each branch, some managers refuse to take responsibility for their errors and simply place those mistake on other employees which effects their review. Also, there is very little consistency between the branches regarding policy. Use your branch support to compile this information to really see how different branches are interpreting policy.

RSS Feed </> Embed