Teachers on Reserve

Add Photos

Gay Hennessy

Great Place to Work

Glendale, CA

ProsOne of the best places I have ever worked. I substituted all over the Los Angeles area (from the San Fernando Valley to Pasadena to Hollywood to south LA and had the opportunity to see Charter, religious and private schools and got many ideas about how many different types schools are run, their discipline policies, what works well and what doesn't work at all. I got much, much more experience out of this one year of subbing than my teaching degree program

ConsReally can't think of any

Teachers on Reserve is a great company.

Los Angeles, CA

ProsI am a current employee at Teachers on Reserve, and it has been a great experience. I moved to southern California from Michigan in the beginning of this school year. I was credentialed in another state to teach and had my application in to get a California credential. Receiving the credential took a lot longer than I thought it would, and by the time that I had it, schools were already in session. Teachers on Reserve not only gave me the chance to substitute teach, but they also helped me to make connections and find great schools that I could see myself teaching in.
    The dispatch staff is great as well. They are very friendly and helpful with any questions you may have. It has been such a great opportunity working with them. The staff goes above and beyond to help with placing you in the right schools and preparing young teachers for their futures. I usually mark my availability at 5 days a week, and I rarely have days that I do not get called (unless it is a holiday or schools are not in session). The dispatch staff works really hard to place you in schools near your home as well, which is really awesome.

ConsThere are not many schools open during the holidays, so there are few jobs in late December/early January. Also, on slow days, TOR may have to ask you to sub at a school that is quite a long ways from where you live (you can say that you do not want to travel that far, but they may not be able to place you anywhere else for the day).

Teachers On Reserve is Professional and Flexible

Los Angeles, CA

ProsTeachers On Reserve is a fantastic company to work for. I have been employed as a substitute teacher by Teachers On Reserve for almost three years. They are professional
    and very well organized.
         Before working for TOR I was employed by another company who, like TOR, sent substitute teachers to work at charter schools. This company wasn’t even one tenth as organized as TOR and by my second year working for TOR I decided to work solely for them.
         As a substitute teacher TOR has helped me to foster professional relationships by matching me up with schools that fit my expertise (I graduated with a degree in film/theatre and I am currently obtaining my CA single subject credential in English). Many times I was contacted for jobs that fit my interest, such as subbing for English teachers, photography teachers, and film studies teachers. One of the things I like best about working for Teachers On Reserve is that they tend to place me near my home and in schools that I really enjoy being at. Their system is set up so that if you do well at a school the school may request you back (and if you really like being at one school, you may request that school). Once I established relationships with many of their client schools I was asked to come back and often booked in advance. This is great for a substitute teacher!
         In the three years that I have been working for them I have gotten to know them well, even if only by over the phone. Ritu is always cheerful and friendly while Ketryn seems to know exactly which jobs would suite me. Skye, who hired me, is always very positive and pleasant over the phone and Diane has always been accommodating with my special requests or need for a flexible schedule. Recently, I’ve needed to take a leave of absence due to having a baby. I continued to work for TOR up until I gave birth and they continued to accommodate me due to my being pregnant.
         If you are looking to work as a substitute teacher, Teachers on Reserve is an excellent choice!

ConsCons of working for TOR may include lack of year round employment (at least for high school teachers) and occasional lack of employment due to not enough job requests or school holidays.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teachers on Reserve can pay their teachers much more than they currently do.

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsTOR are able to get needed subs into schools. Especially those which do not generally have a sub pool to choose from (non-school district affiliated).

ConsSubstitutes are paid MUCH less than the schools pay to Teachers on Reserve. For example, the school might pay TOR 25$ per hour of work while TOR only pays their sub $15 per hour of that $25.

It is unfortunate that they seem to focus more on the business side of it rather than actually training quality employees and paying those employees well.

TOR generally treat their staff poorly and turnover is extremely high.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay! Less of the money should go to 'overhead' and more into the teachers' pockets.

Substitute Teacher

Glendale, CA

ProsThere is flexibility in your work schedule as you do not have to attend daily. You can change your availability the morning of. There are also weekly check payment s

ConsThough there are weekly check payments the pay is very small. They are hourly which means less pay for you while other agencies pay their subs a set amount per day.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are okay for the most part

Loved it sometimes, hated it others.

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsThis is your basic subbing job. Getting called at 6 am can be annoying but the job is extremely flexible and usually pretty easy.

ConsNo understanding of employees... they may ask you to do jobs that are very far for you because they are desperate to fill the subbing job and have no one else and show no gratitude when you do this HUGE favor for them. I think they should show more appreciation to their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they should show more appreciation to their employees... it is the substitute teachers that keep the business going!!

Worked for Teachers on Reserve? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teachers on Reserve reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teachers on Reserve CEO Gay Hennessy. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Teachers on Reserve employees.