Teachers on Reserve

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Gay Hennessy

Great teaching exposure with weird procedures

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Teachers on Reserve as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Really great if you want to gain insight into the Teaching industry. Exposure to a broad range of teaching environments, student level, and subject areas. You basically tell them what you are willing and able to teach and go out and teach it. Pretty cool. It's also very flexible. They only require 2 days a week of availability so it is perfect if you are finishing up school and have Mondays and Fridays free (the busiest subbing days).

Cons

It's a dispatch company so you never meet anyone in person and their background check is (rightfully so) extensive. They have (in my opinion) some strange procedures in place: they don't do direct deposit and you can't have your checks mailed to an address separate from your tax return mailing address, you only need letters of recommendation for your application if your references haven't directly supervised you teaching, often times you will call them and explain something (maybe a change in address) and then they will ask you to send it to them by email, etc.

Please update the employee portal for the future. It is VERY outdated.

Most inconsistent and frustrating working hours

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can take days off whenever you want (although must be available 2 days per week). You never have to lesson plan, grade, or take work home with you. Gives you a lot of exposure to schools in your area, so if you are hoping to become a teacher it is a great way to figure out what you like and dislike.

Cons

Extremely inconsistent scheduling. Phone calls for jobs early in the morning for jobs outside of your qual-set and over an hour from your preferred location range. Poor pay compared to public and private single school substitute teaching (where they pay a daily rate as opposed to low hourly). Must have personal vehicle and no travel expenses are reimbursed. Poor attitudes of staff who dispatch job requests.

Do not ask employees if they have preferred ages, subjects, or areas that they would like to teach if you are just going to call them for anything and everything under the sun. Gives a false sense of understanding and no acknowledgment of the employee's wishes.

Plenty of work available

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is a good company to work for, because they will hire you with an imperfect work history. You get a chance to prove yourself at various schools, with a chance for permanent employment. They provide good training and a sign on bonus.

Cons

Many of the schools are in bad areas, so future permanent employment may be in an area that you would rather not work in.

Things are good.

Reserve Your Employment Elsewhere

Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Teachers on Reserve full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teachers on Reserve has one primary advantage to working with them - weekly pay. This advantage can be had, however, with ANY agency.

Cons

Teachers on Reserve was a very big disappointment. I was offered to work with them for $110/day - no possibility of an increase. Others were told they could work for up to $120/day. The school gets charged closer to $200/day for Teachers on Reserve. They demanded I have a 30 day credential to be considered (which I alreay had). They THEN said I was not "qualified" for them even though all my credentials and paperwork checked out and my interview went well. I have been teaching for several years. Actually, their shoddy behavior worked out well for me as I landed a job as a full-time teacher in a better envionment.

The school I currently work for is a charter school and we have used TOR. I have had to search for other agencies to provide qualified support (30 day credential) and has a better success rate of placing substitute teachers. The poor pay, the lack of regard for their staff, and their dishonest practices make them a very poor company! I strongly suggest you locate teachers who have the 30 day credential, pay them more fairly and provide bonuses of good will. Otherwise, other staffing agencies will take the clientel you have worked to establish.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best places I have ever worked. I substituted all over the Los Angeles area (from the San Fernando Valley to Pasadena to Hollywood to south LA and had the opportunity to see Charter, religious and private schools and got many ideas about how many different types schools are run, their discipline policies, what works well and what doesn't work at all. I got much, much more experience out of this one year of subbing than my teaching degree program

Cons

Really can't think of any

Teachers on Reserve is a great company.

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a current employee at Teachers on Reserve, and it has been a great experience. I moved to southern California from Michigan in the beginning of this school year. I was credentialed in another state to teach and had my application in to get a California credential. Receiving the credential took a lot longer than I thought it would, and by the time that I had it, schools were already in session. Teachers on Reserve not only gave me the chance to substitute teach, but they also helped me to make connections and find great schools that I could see myself teaching in.
    The dispatch staff is great as well. They are very friendly and helpful with any questions you may have. It has been such a great opportunity working with them. The staff goes above and beyond to help with placing you in the right schools and preparing young teachers for their futures. I usually mark my availability at 5 days a week, and I rarely have days that I do not get called (unless it is a holiday or schools are not in session). The dispatch staff works really hard to place you in schools near your home as well, which is really awesome.

Cons

There are not many schools open during the holidays, so there are few jobs in late December/early January. Also, on slow days, TOR may have to ask you to sub at a school that is quite a long ways from where you live (you can say that you do not want to travel that far, but they may not be able to place you anywhere else for the day).

Teachers On Reserve is Professional and Flexible

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teachers On Reserve is a fantastic company to work for. I have been employed as a substitute teacher by Teachers On Reserve for almost three years. They are professional
    and very well organized.
         Before working for TOR I was employed by another company who, like TOR, sent substitute teachers to work at charter schools. This company wasn’t even one tenth as organized as TOR and by my second year working for TOR I decided to work solely for them.
         As a substitute teacher TOR has helped me to foster professional relationships by matching me up with schools that fit my expertise (I graduated with a degree in film/theatre and I am currently obtaining my CA single subject credential in English). Many times I was contacted for jobs that fit my interest, such as subbing for English teachers, photography teachers, and film studies teachers. One of the things I like best about working for Teachers On Reserve is that they tend to place me near my home and in schools that I really enjoy being at. Their system is set up so that if you do well at a school the school may request you back (and if you really like being at one school, you may request that school). Once I established relationships with many of their client schools I was asked to come back and often booked in advance. This is great for a substitute teacher!
         In the three years that I have been working for them I have gotten to know them well, even if only by over the phone. Ritu is always cheerful and friendly while Ketryn seems to know exactly which jobs would suite me. Skye, who hired me, is always very positive and pleasant over the phone and Diane has always been accommodating with my special requests or need for a flexible schedule. Recently, I’ve needed to take a leave of absence due to having a baby. I continued to work for TOR up until I gave birth and they continued to accommodate me due to my being pregnant.
         If you are looking to work as a substitute teacher, Teachers on Reserve is an excellent choice!

Cons

Cons of working for TOR may include lack of year round employment (at least for high school teachers) and occasional lack of employment due to not enough job requests or school holidays.

Teachers on Reserve can pay their teachers much more than they currently do.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Teachers on Reserve as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

TOR are able to get needed subs into schools. Especially those which do not generally have a sub pool to choose from (non-school district affiliated).

Cons

Substitutes are paid MUCH less than the schools pay to Teachers on Reserve. For example, the school might pay TOR 25$ per hour of work while TOR only pays their sub $15 per hour of that $25.

It is unfortunate that they seem to focus more on the business side of it rather than actually training quality employees and paying those employees well.

TOR generally treat their staff poorly and turnover is extremely high.

Higher pay! Less of the money should go to 'overhead' and more into the teachers' pockets.

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is flexibility in your work schedule as you do not have to attend daily. You can change your availability the morning of. There are also weekly check payment s

Cons

Though there are weekly check payments the pay is very small. They are hourly which means less pay for you while other agencies pay their subs a set amount per day.

They are okay for the most part

Loved it sometimes, hated it others.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher

I worked at Teachers on Reserve

Pros

This is your basic subbing job. Getting called at 6 am can be annoying but the job is extremely flexible and usually pretty easy.

Cons

No understanding of employees... they may ask you to do jobs that are very far for you because they are desperate to fill the subbing job and have no one else and show no gratitude when you do this HUGE favor for them. I think they should show more appreciation to their employees.

I think they should show more appreciation to their employees... it is the substitute teachers that keep the business going!!