Teaching Strategies

Updated April 23, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
2.4
Ron Davies

Busy and growing, but lots of change

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who work hard
    People share ideas
    Can earn bonuses
    Fair compensation

Cons

Lacks transparency
    Not enough people in key positions to get things done
    Things change from one day to the next
    People come and go really quickly

2. Not what it seems

Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Dedicated, talented co-workers
    Nice kitchen space, often filled with baked goods

Cons

Day to day operations and all key decisions are made by small inner circle who value profit more than doing the right thing. There have been waves of lay offs and lack of transparency about who really finances and runs the company. Sad, sad case of a company losing its way.

Advice to Management

Insist on real, respectful collaboration. Encourage open dialogue. Stay true to the mission.

Great products, but an awful place to work

I have been working at Teaching Strategies

Pros

Competitive salary, convenient location and bonuses twice a year.

Cons

If you are reading this, you are most likely considering applying or accepting an offer. Please read the other reviews written here. While I understand that reviews are subjective, consider the reoccurring themes and language written in some of these reviews. The only reason that I'm still here is because of the 401(k) vesting and family reasons that prohibit me from leaving at the moment.

The work-life balance is horrible, management promotes people that they like and turnover is extremely high. Expect to work under a boss and not a leader.

I do not think that there is coincidence that the President, a VP, the HR Director (who still hasn't been replaced) and several other directors all left within the same year, and this is just at the upper-management level. One director left 1-2 months after receiving a promotion.

Advice to Management

There isn't a point in writing "advice to management" as they could careless what is written here or what goes on beyond the managers.

Lots of growth, good people and benefits

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff
    Generous benefits
    Opportunity to earn bonuses
    Business is growing
    Product is high quality

Cons

Lots of change as the company grows, so communication is tough
    There's a lot of work, and not enough people to do it, so good employees burn out fast
    For as much work and responsibility people have, the pay isn't great

Good People, Bad Management

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Teaching Strategies was the people. They were kind, smart, and willing to work hard for a mission they believed in. It was a very friendly environment and there were frequent happy hours and just a general collegiality.

Cons

At the time of working there, the management was poor. Promotions were given to staff that were not competent and quite a bit of office politics. The average worker wasn't given many opportunities to excel or advance within the organization.

Advice to Management

Management has changed since then, but the advice is always the same: Believe in the staff you hired, when you give them the ability to do the work, they will reward you with hard work. Also, make them feel valued.

Great mission, misguided leadership

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is wonderful, though it seemed that the mission was less and less present in daily decisions. The pay was not bad and it is one of the best places to work if you want to advance in early childhood.

Cons

It was always difficult to tell what was going to happen next. There was little to know communication from leadership about the direction of the company. Most people were on their own. I wasn't alone in feeling taken advantage of. I got a lot of thank you's and "atta girl's" but little real support or recognition. I was lucky to work for someone with some influence, but if you don't there is very little chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and communicate. It is stunning how little you communicate to your staff. They desperately want to know how the company is doing and where it is heading. Without that, rumor (which is rampant) and manipulation rule the day.

depressing and mismanaged

I have been working at Teaching Strategies

Pros

benefits, vacation leave policy, staff that cares about education

Cons

People are overworked and don't respect the management. the CEO is convinced everyone loves him but no one respects him. Very smug. The rest of the management is either stressed or detached. Frustrating to work for a company with a great mission but without the management to inspire and lead.

Advice to Management

take some leadership classes and actually listen to the people doing the work and making you money.

Can you say, "Nepotism?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package. The compensation I was offered was competitive enough that negotiation wasn't necessary. In all fairness, it was an employee market.

Cons

The unjustified arrogance and superiority of leadership was both inappropriate and peculiar. I found them to be just plain odd: sophomoric, defensive, particularly passive-aggressive, condescending, noticeably shifty, antagonistic and, by far, the most dysfunctional environment I’ve ever been subjected too. Decisions were centralized to people who were ill equipped to make said decisions but because they were like ‘daughters’ to the owner, they were given free reign. Reign they would never have been granted in a moderately high functioning organization with real accountability and expectations. Owner was completely disconnected from the “cliquish” environment created rendering her useless as a resource. My skin still crawls when I think about my tenure there. Speculation regarding employment lawsuits from employees forced to quit were plentiful. Managers routinely threatened and tossed the weakest under the bus at every opportunity with no checks and balances. If you have reasonably high standards, work for this company at your own risk.

Advice to Management

No advice you haven’t already heard and ignored. To my face, at that. Godspeed.

Overworked, quality product going downhill.

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time

Pros

-Great chance to offer still quality product to make a positive difference in education.
    -Still some small company values and bonuses.
    -Great benefits.
    -Dedicated people.
    -Great coworkers.

Cons

-Fast growing company with insane work loads.
    -New products not receiving the same quality standards.
    -Small company attitudes turning into large corp callousness.
    -Management can be a mix of hard to talk to and great to talk to. The hard to talk to outweigh those who are great.

Advice to Management

-Increase staff. Work loads are not manageable as is.
    -Don't let sales run your research and development. Move slower, and put the same care you put into your previous products.

Unprofessional and Toxic Work Environment

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and competitive salary range.

Cons

There are no growth opportunities for the lower to mid level staff. There are "clicks" and politics, which creating a stressful work environment. A lot of drama and negativity which impacts the day to day employer effectiveness. There are certain people who are "protected" in the company because of their relationship with the COO. The employees are not happy and scared of changes that are currently going on within the organization.

Advice to Management

Do not hire friends of high- up management staff members. It creates a lot of drama and power games. Check your HR professionalism and integrity- staff do not trust the HR department.