TeamQuest Reviews

2.8
Jerred D. Ruble

1. Good work environment

I worked at TeamQuest

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

High stress and a highly competitive industry.

2. Once great employee friendly business suffers due to CEO's selfish, bully policies!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clear Lake, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Compensation
    Benefits
    Friendly atmosphere
    Open to change
    Provide employees what they need to do job

TeamQuest was once one of the sought after places of employment in the North Iowa area and despite sometimes doing things just because we've always done them that way it has been a great place to work for. This is especially evident when compared to other local business' who do not seem to value their employees as much as TeamQuest. TeamQuest does a very good job of providing a flexible schedule, great benefits, equipment and resources to help do your job, training, etc... TeamQuest is employee owned and as such employees have a substantial say in the direction of the company. CEO Jerred Ruble garnered family atmosphere.

Cons

All the things mentioned above are going away due to the new CEO and upper management. A company that once prided itself as being a champion of it's employees and valuing employees as the most valuable resource is now being "ruled" with an iron fist. Since the new CEO, Paul Hesser, has come on board about 6 months ago, many things have changed negatively. The CEO sees a policy or methodology in place that he doesn't like he simply changes it without any justification to the employees or demonstrating why it is a positive for the company. There has been more turnover since Paul Hesser has taken the reigns than any time I've seen in the company's history. Part of this is due to the culture of fear that has been created wherein if you do not agree or march lock step with the direction the new upper management wants to go you will likely be relieved of your duties and standing in the unemployment line. Mr. Hesser is constantly preaching about innovation and cost savings yet is implementing things simply because other successful tech companies have had similar policies in the past. An example is the new open office concept they are moving forward with. Many studies have shown that these arrangements may work very well with sales and marketing type folks they are downright dreadful for engineers, support people, developers, etc... The idea is that all of TeamQuest (except the really important people, of course) will move into a large work-space filled with pods seating 4 employees each with short or no walls and no privacy of course. Naturally the employees who will be made to utilize these spaces do not want them and have expressed concern only to be ignored despite this being an employee owned company. The idea that these setups will breed collaboration, increased productivity, generate ideas, etc... has been found false based on years of research. It is essentially turning your workforce/place into a chicken or hog lot packing as many people possible into a space under the guise of "innovation". Again, there was no justification or study done to back up this proposal to the employees. Just a "because I said so" mentality and that "all the big companies do this".... So much for innovation. And as for the cost savings used to justify all the folks who have been laid off, this project, which many believe is un-needed and will result in achieving the opposite of the desired results will likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars... The work life balance and feeling of freedom that TeamQuest once touted as a "perk" is no longer as everything is being monitored, closely, and punishment being doled out. Despite the CEO's claims he is trying to move the company forward he has brought the internal culture back to the mentality of nose to the grindstone, 8-5, factory work. Upper management set up committees when Mr. Hesser first arrived (at his request) to assess the pulse of the company and what was desired/needed to do the job and create the most positive culture. All of the feedback from these committees is essentially being ignored with a few aesthetic changes being made to provide the guise of moving forward in regards to company culture. But behind the scenes it is all about the bottom line with no transparency whatsoever and we serve at the whim and pleasure of new CEO Paul Hesser.

Advice to Management

Fire CEO Paul Hesser and bring in someone who really is forward thinking and doesn't just talk the talk. If employees are your most valuable resource as the company has always stated, then start treating them as such by actually listening to and valuing their feedback. Stop wasting the employee's money on pet projects that the CEO wants without justification and instead give the employees a raise, they've earned it, especially over the past year... The morale of the company is seriously, deeply suffering and the primary cause is the new "leader" Paul Hesser and his selfish, infantile policies and understanding of how to manage a business and create an environment where people want to come to work and innovate.

I wish the best for the employees, but their upper management is killing them

I worked at TeamQuest full-time

Pros

The coworkers I worked side by side with were amazing, incredibly nice, intelligent, and helpful people. Given the right environment, they could go very far. Clear Lake is a beautiful and nice community.

Cons

The incompetence in upper management is unreal. I was going to hold back my review until after I saw the moves of a new CEO in hopes that he/she would clean house on top. However, I learned today that the exact opposite has happened, more employees have lost their jobs as Sales leadership has taken more power.
    The main reason I left TeamQuest was due to their selfish leadership team, who claims that they hold their Core Values so closely, but it’s all an act. Although they claim to be transparent, I believe there are some horrendously unethical things going on behind closed doors. When I brought this to the attention of HR, it was just a blank, non-logical defense with many excuses and no real answers.
    When I left, I gave the company two years, at best, and I still believe now that their best hope is just over a year. I can’t imagine they have the trust of any of their employees, as so many of their friends have been blind-sided and let go for no good reason, except maybe standing up for what’s right.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I’d ask them all to resign, but I’ve given my advice before and as much as they ask for it, they keep making mistake after mistake.

5. software Engineer II

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly environment.
    there is work life balance
    work is good

Cons

located in a small town in iowa

An employee owned company with generous ESOP contributions.

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TeamQuest provides a challenging yet rewarding work environment. The company has a great work life balance. The compensation packages are top notch including ESOP distributions depending on the profitability of each year. They provide ample opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Is it better to promote from within or hire externally for senior leadership roles? They may benefit from hiring some external senior leadership talent.

Great people, profitable. Growing pains.

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Work/Life balance.

Cons

Growing pains right now trying to incorporate a different vision/outreach in the IT community

No future in this small company. Join BMC instead. Engineers be warned,

Current Employee - Engineering in Clear Lake, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I buy lunch for myself, lie about it on my expense reports and say I took a client.

Cons

Weak product, poor delivery, no company direction or growth plans, limited opportunity for advancements, below average pay, poor management, even poorer delivery of solution. Our backlog on existing client support is very long and lengthy with no solutions.

Advice to Management

Move out of the strip mall, quit, make any cloud based solution, create a real services department, treat your employees better, have someone take an MBA class at a real non-Iowa school to learn how high growth companies operate.

Trouble in the midwest

I worked at TeamQuest full-time

Pros

Nice people, good ESOP employee ownership program, specialists in a potentially valuable niche

Cons

All the drawbacks of a small company without the benefits of ingenuity, creative competitive strategy, and solution agility. Cannot/does not want to keep good sales people. Randomly calculated and unattainable goals.
    Management has had success selling in decades gone past but the market has passed them by in the solution design, and go to market strategies. Budgets are going to newer and more exciting companies/solutions. Sales people are referred to as franchise owners but have no control over pricing or product direction.
    Core values are consistently referenced and not genuinely followed.

Advice to Management

Revitalize and relaunch with the intent to sell the company. Re-architect the solution to not depend on server agents and 20 year-old technology. Re-brand the solution and devise a strategy to creatively win new customers with an beach-head initial sale and expand approach.