TeamQuest Reviews

2.9
Paul Hesser

1. Exciting times!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is exciting to come to work each day! We have had significant changes to the senior leadership team this year and the results are great. We have a clear vision and direction. The new team seeks input from employees and listens. The senior leadership team is committed to providing the resources needed to meet the goals. TeamQuest has a dedicated, talented work force that now has direction and high expectations. It is an unstoppable combination of which I am proud to be a part.

Cons

I do not really see any 'cons'. The company is in a very fast-paced market which presents difficult challenges. I am confident we can meet these challenges by working together. For me, these challenges add to the fun. Life is not boring or dull at TeamQuest!

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent, when possible. Continue to make the tough decisions and hold us all, including yourselves, accountable.

2. Things are Turning Around!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Clear Lake, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time

Pros

Engineering uses agile development practices which are much better now that we are following agile more to the book. We now have a clear focus on what we are developing and why. We changed our work environment to lower cubes where we can sit with our teams. Some don't like it but I think it's great and will help us work better as a team. Upper management seems to be really focused on making the company successful. They are changing many things in many areas but it seems to me it's all for the better and it's better to get it all done quickly so we can enjoy the benefits of the changes. Pay is great. Benefits are excellent. Free membership to fitness center. Company has a lot of fun get-togethers like pizza parties, deck parties, iteration celebrations, and off-site gatherings.

Cons

There is a lot of change right now and it can be stressful until we get where we need to be.

Advice to Management

Keep us informed of the "Why". Don't make change just for the sake of change. Have good reasons and let us know those reasons. Trust in our abilities and let us get the work done. Don't micromanage.

Not the great place to work it was 3-5 years ago

Pros

Work is generally interesting. Training in new technologies occasionally provided. Implementation of Agile/Scrum is better than that at many larger companies. Meetings and management interference is kept to a minimum, allowing for greater engineer productivity. Engineers are generally competent and easy to work with.

Cons

The new executive team, led by new CEO Paul Hesser, has made the work environment take a turn for the worse. Flexibility in hours and work environment has been reduced. Remote work, which had begun to become available, has been eliminated for most. The company has had waves of layoffs. Previously, TeamQuest prided itself on a "family" atmosphere and most Day One employees still worked there. Hesser has instituted two sets of layoffs since starting in November 2014. One wave of layoffs coincided with purchasing a company for its reporting software. In that case, TQ took on the 10 engineers from that company and laid off 10 TQ employees. Many of those layoffs were not in areas which overlapped with the duties of the newly acquired employees. Longtime employees were laid off with 0 days notice. TQ never did business like that in the past. In fact, when I started with the company, they were proud that no layoffs had ever occurred, that the company was growing at a responsible rate, and that longtime employees could count on TQ to provide stable, interesting employment. It seems that there has been 200% turnover in the sales force over the past 3 years. Hesser instituted a set of employee meetings asking what was good and bad about the work environment. It seems that all of the comments were ignored. The new "open office" concept for engineers is a great example. Tens of thousands of dollars are being spent to remodel the engineering workplace into pods with no walls, multiple people per "pod", no privacy, and no sound control. Study after study has shown that this sort of arrangement drastically reduces engineer productivity, but Hesser implemented it despite employee wishes. Spending tens of thousands on needless and harmful renovations in a company which is losing money and laying off employees with vital, irreplacable knowledge of the products and their history is not a wise move. Insisting that engineers (but not sales or sales support) move to Clear Lake, Iowa inhibits the company from hiring top talent. Although the new CTO lives in Minneapolis and is permitted to work remotely. The latest company purchase is the second time TQ has purchased a company for their reporting tool. The first tool, purchased for millions of dollars a few years ago, has not yet been put in general customer release. Architects do not seem to have the knowledge or ability to research issues in high volume data collection and reporting. This is odd in a company producing performance and capacity software. Engineers and support people have been specifically told that they are not permitted to suggest improvements to the product. Only the architects and customers are permitted to do this. Shutting out the people who have the greatest knowledge of the software and its limitations is not a wise business decision.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Let them contribute to the development of the product. Stop making arbitrary decisions which decrease quality of work and productivity. Bring back the feeling of safety for employees rather than fear that another suddenly announced layoff of seemingly random employees may come any day.

CEO Paul Hesser

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Clear Lake, IA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was once a great working environment but ever since the new CEO Paul Hesser has been on board - company moral has changed for the worse.

Cons

The upper management has all been replaced with new employees that are the new CEO's "friends" and they are running the show along with the new CEO Paul Hesser into the ground. Paul Hesser has no regard or a care about anything but himself.

Advice to Management

Fire CEO Paul Hesser

Once great employee friendly business suffers due to CEO's selfish, bully policies!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at TeamQuest (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance Compensation Benefits Friendly atmosphere Open to change Provide employees what they need to do job TeamQuest was once one of the sought after places of employment in the North Iowa area and despite sometimes doing things just because we've always done them that way it has been a great place to work for. This is especially evident when compared to other local business' who do not seem to value their employees as much as TeamQuest. TeamQuest does a very good job of providing a flexible schedule, great benefits, equipment and resources to help do your job, training, etc... TeamQuest is employee owned and as such employees have a substantial say in the direction of the company. CEO Jerred Ruble garnered family atmosphere.

Cons

All the things mentioned above are going away due to the new CEO and upper management. A company that once prided itself as being a champion of it's employees and valuing employees as the most valuable resource is now being "ruled" with an iron fist. Since the new CEO, Paul Hesser, has come on board about 6 months ago, many things have changed negatively. The CEO sees a policy or methodology in place that he doesn't like he simply changes it without any justification to the employees or demonstrating why it is a positive for the company. There has been more turnover since Paul Hesser has taken the reigns than any time I've seen in the company's history. Part of this is due to the culture of fear that has been created wherein if you do not agree or march lock step with the direction the new upper management wants to go you will likely be relieved of your duties and standing in the unemployment line. Mr. Hesser is constantly preaching about innovation and cost savings yet is implementing things simply because other successful tech companies have had similar policies in the past. An example is the new open office concept they are moving forward with. Many studies have shown that these arrangements may work very well with sales and marketing type folks they are downright dreadful for engineers, support people, developers, etc... The idea is that all of TeamQuest (except the really important people, of course) will move into a large work-space filled with pods seating 4 employees each with short or no walls and no privacy of course. Naturally the employees who will be made to utilize these spaces do not want them and have expressed concern only to be ignored despite this being an employee owned company. The idea that these setups will breed collaboration, increased productivity, generate ideas, etc... has been found false based on years of research. It is essentially turning your workforce/place into a chicken or hog lot packing as many people possible into a space under the guise of "innovation". Again, there was no justification or study done to back up this proposal to the employees. Just a "because I said so" mentality and that "all the big companies do this".... So much for innovation. And as for the cost savings used to justify all the folks who have been laid off, this project, which many believe is un-needed and will result in achieving the opposite of the desired results will likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars... The work life balance and feeling of freedom that TeamQuest once touted as a "perk" is no longer as everything is being monitored, closely, and punishment being doled out. Despite the CEO's claims he is trying to move the company forward he has brought the internal culture back to the mentality of nose to the grindstone, 8-5, factory work. Upper management set up committees when Mr. Hesser first arrived (at his request) to assess the pulse of the company and what was desired/needed to do the job and create the most positive culture. All of the feedback from these committees is essentially being ignored with a few aesthetic changes being made to provide the guise of moving forward in regards to company culture. But behind the scenes it is all about the bottom line with no transparency whatsoever and we serve at the whim and pleasure of new CEO Paul Hesser.

Advice to Management

Fire CEO Paul Hesser and bring in someone who really is forward thinking and doesn't just talk the talk. If employees are your most valuable resource as the company has always stated, then start treating them as such by actually listening to and valuing their feedback. Stop wasting the employee's money on pet projects that the CEO wants without justification and instead give the employees a raise, they've earned it, especially over the past year... The morale of the company is seriously, deeply suffering and the primary cause is the new "leader" Paul Hesser and his selfish, infantile policies and understanding of how to manage a business and create an environment where people want to come to work and innovate.

I wish the best for the employees, but their upper management is killing them

I worked at TeamQuest full-time

Pros

The coworkers I worked side by side with were amazing, incredibly nice, intelligent, and helpful people. Given the right environment, they could go very far. Clear Lake is a beautiful and nice community.

Cons

The incompetence in upper management is unreal. I was going to hold back my review until after I saw the moves of a new CEO in hopes that he/she would clean house on top. However, I learned today that the exact opposite has happened, more employees have lost their jobs as Sales leadership has taken more power. The main reason I left TeamQuest was due to their selfish leadership team, who claims that they hold their Core Values so closely, but it’s all an act. Although they claim to be transparent, I believe there are some horrendously unethical things going on behind closed doors. When I brought this to the attention of HR, it was just a blank, non-logical defense with many excuses and no real answers. When I left, I gave the company two years, at best, and I still believe now that their best hope is just over a year. I can’t imagine they have the trust of any of their employees, as so many of their friends have been blind-sided and let go for no good reason, except maybe standing up for what’s right.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I’d ask them all to resign, but I’ve given my advice before and as much as they ask for it, they keep making mistake after mistake.

8. Good work environment

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

High stress and a highly competitive industry.

9. software Engineer II

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly environment. there is work life balance work is good

Cons

located in a small town in iowa

An employee owned company with generous ESOP contributions.

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TeamQuest provides a challenging yet rewarding work environment. The company has a great work life balance. The compensation packages are top notch including ESOP distributions depending on the profitability of each year. They provide ample opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Is it better to promote from within or hire externally for senior leadership roles? They may benefit from hiring some external senior leadership talent.

Great people, profitable. Growing pains.

I have been working at TeamQuest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Work/Life balance.

Cons

Growing pains right now trying to incorporate a different vision/outreach in the IT community

RSS Feed </> Embed