www.teavana.com

Updated October 24, 2014
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 44 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most are great people to work with. Great product and knowledge acquired. Good discount and ability to move up quickly if you are driven.

Cons

Since the Starbucks acquisition company is very disjointed. Too many new initiatives causing confusion, lack of communication between departments. Different areas trying out different things and no consistency.

Before starting new initiatives, really review what you want to accomplish, test it and get real feedback from the field. Too many 'yes' men who are afraid of losing their positions if they disagree with the direction of the track that is being set.

It's been a whirlwind of information, you will never hear the end of it.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think my sales skills have improved significantly.
    This has a great schedule for college students.

Cons

I think the pay isn't fair enough for the people who lead open and close shop.

My shop had great support and training program. It is fast paced, but make sure you don't push the employees or customers too hard.

Great. The people are super nice and friendly. Everyone is devoted and dedicated to the brand and comapny

Former Employee - Allocator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Allocator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated workers. Everyone is passionated about the brand of Teavana. Great energy around the company. Have a mock store in the corporate office, so you get to drink free tea all day,

Cons

VP's are leaving frequently
    Workers are quitting frequently due to the lack of supervising

Tons of freedom but lack of compensation

Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are amazing, Freedom, low stress,

Cons

Lack of structure, lack of appreciation of hard work, things became much more complicated when the company was acquired by Starbucks

A mistake from the start.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the tea you can drink, 30% off at Teavana and Starbucks plus a weekly mark out at Starbucks.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, misleading to consumers, unprofessional higher level management.

Be a little more professional in your language. Invest more in your employees and give them better tools for success.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to help people resolve their issues, unlimited tea at work. Great discounts on products.

Cons

Unorganized, website consistently down, no room for growth. Poor upper management.

Was not worth the hassle.

Former Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free tea on any occasion.

Cons

Stealing sales from co-workers on shift.

Too much expectations on employees.

Great company

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company,good benefits supportive upper management.

Cons

Don't change anything and continue to be supportive.

Don't change anything.

Not great, not terrible, but generally unhappy

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Good product
    *You will learn many sales skills
    *Many locations means if you move you will probably be able to transfer to another store
    *Moving expenses paid for if you are a GM
    *Training process is very complete
    *Potential for limited regional travel
    *Quick promotions

Cons

*Low pay
    *Hours are veriable if you are not AGM or higher
    *Company neglects to enforce HR policies
    *HR is a mess. It is hard to get anyone on the phone to help, and often times they do not have the answers.
    *My biggest complaint was upper management's deliberate ignorance when it came to HR violations made by an Area Manager

Pay attention to the turn over rate in specific areas. There are instances of management ignoring HR violations, seemingly because they are inconvenient.

Couldn't think of a better place to work!

Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been a Teavana barista for over two years now and I have loved my experience here. Tea is something I grew up drinking from a very young age so I had an early passion for it. I feel good working for a company that sells something that benefits your body, and may even cut your medical bills in half.

I've worked at two different locations in the Atlanta area and I have loved the people that I work with and they have created a great environment for me to grow. With just about any retail store, employees come and go and I have had the opportunity to train the new employees which has been greatly rewarding.

Opportunities to move up in the company are great, as long as you are following the sales process and you are working hard. People that really love what they are selling can easily move up and make a comfortable living. Most retail stores don't give you that kind of chance. I am finishing my degree in International Affairs next year and will definitely try to get a job at the Teavana corporate office.

Teavana was recently bought out by Starbucks. This made many uncomfortable since Starbucks was a Teavana competitor, at least at the retail level. I consider this a pro since Starbucks has an awesome reputation for treating their employees well and the benefits of being a Starbucks employee are great. Since Teavana has been bought out, Teavana employees have access to these Starbucks benefits.

Cons

A Teavana work experience varies from store to store. It is all really based around the attitudes of the employees and how that shapes your work day.

Since most of the employees are younger, sometimes they can get wrapped up in work/sales drama or they become too involved in the social life of their employees. This has never been an issue for me because I seldom get involved in work social life.

The sales process is something that many employees complain about, or don't fully understand, but it is the process that makes a store flourish - Yes standing at the sample cart may not be the most enjoyable part of your work day, but everyone has to do it and you have to learn how to make it fun, and enjoy it. No body likes to work with people that complain.

My advice to a future sales employee:
    Come to work with a smile, enjoy your employees and encourage them, but don't get involved in sales drama, and avoid arguments with your employees. You don't have to make friends at work to enjoy your work environment, you just need to have positive energy. Other employees will feed off of it and so will the customers. When employees come to work with a positive attitude, it makes a huge difference and this will vary from store to store.

Make sure to train your employees well. Selling tea can be difficult, and if your employees don't understand the quality of what they are selling, your store won't make good profit. Keep up the good work!

Teavana Photos