Teavana

Teavana Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack

Andrew T. Mack

Pros:
  • "Love free tea throughout the day, best perk of the job is the discount"
    in 94 reviews
  • "learn a lot about different types of tea"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you have a shred of intelligence, the mind-numbing sales process will drive you crazy"
    in 36 reviews
  • "They give you a bonus if you make your sales goals AND the store makes its"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An amazing opportunity that really challenges you.

Tea Associate (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros- New concept store = New foods, drinks, and merchandise to always make work interesting
    - Reputation: Get to work under Starbucks
    - Benefits: Receive "Starbucks Family" benefits including 30% off all merchandise and drinks, partner beverages, 401(k), etc....

Cons- Constant changing of items = Can never truly settle down in work so to speak
    - Busy work environments - Tea takes time to make. Some up to 15 minutes for certain concentrated teas and if you run out during rush, people have to wait a while if they truly want it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen training someone at the new concept stores, make sure to have a plan. It was unfortunate that there was not a fully set training in place for the store and parts of my training that were important got thrown off to the side. It made it difficult to fully take on my role as a partner that could work truly efficiently when I would have to stop to ask multiple questions that should have already been covered.

This is a decent company to work for if you have good coworkers

ProsThe training process if pretty intense and you learn a lot so that is fun and if you work with people you like then the job is great

ConsUpper management and corporate can be very difficult to deal with. They can be very pushy and the stress is often felt throughout the store

Friendly environment, must enjoy sales.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule
    Ability to advance within the company
    Great discount at both Teavana and Starbucks

ConsIf you don't enjoy upselling, you'll hate this place
    Your sales numbers decide how many hours you get to work

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It can be great depends on who you work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree tea drinks while working! Great products to sell for many people in safe environment in Mall.

ConsHigh overturn, it really depends on who you work with.

Far too aggressive sales environment for the little pay/hours given, way too pushy and misleading. Not worth it.

Sales Associate/Teaologist (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount on all Starbucks and teavana products, flexible schedule and they are willing to accommodate you if you have a second job. Get to drink free tea throughout your shift.

ConsExpect to be working with very aggressive sales people, they are misleading when hiring you and while they say they are hiring you on for at least 10 to 15 hours a week, expect to be only working at about 6 to 9 hours a week. They say hours are based on sales, but there "chill" atmosphere that they let on during the interview becomes spoiled when you are forced to read a hundred page training manual how to get people to feel guilty or stupid for not buying expensive products and how to keep pushing products until they finally get fed up and say no. Hard to get sales because your untrustworthy coworkers will steal your customers, especially the team leads, who will act like they want you to succeed but use you to further their sales. I would only work 3 hour shifts, but the anxiety and stress of being forced and pushed to sell at least a $100 dollars in product to everyone that walked in the door, and get questioned on every customer from management was not worth the minimum wage pay. Although it is base plus commission, you hardly ever can get commission on the little hours you work. Also, very immature and dumb coworkers who get very personal and competitive. Overall stay away if possible, but if you need an immediate job or no other options it is an okay temporary job to put up with. I left soon after I found a decent other position at another company. They are also misleading about how great there company is now that they have merged with Starbucks, but they haven't seem to have caught up with Starbucks business plan and are too busy trying to force expensive cast iron pots down there customers throats and mislead them on the price of tea and how to brew it at home. Stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your more honest with your customers instead of lying to them to make sales, you would make more money. Also, stop treating your sales people like children and talking down to them and don't make everything so personal i.e. talking crap about employees to other employees. Give your sales people a chance to make sales by giving them better hours. Stop misleading people in interviews about what the job really is and what they will be doing. Also, clean more often- that B rating is disgusting.

I'm tired of the competition for hours!

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Arcadia, CA

ProsTea, friendly working environment, basic sales training provided, benefits, coaching provided to improve numbers after training is complete, flexible scheduling.

ConsHours based on performance, weight of the company falls on store management, bonus structure is a joke, we are losing people faster than we can replace them. New tea launches/promotions are becoming physically and emotionally draining for those of us that care about our work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand you have a business to run, but please STOP DOING IT AT THE EXPENSE OF STORE LEVEL MANAGEMENT. Hours based on performance is great, but take into account what you are creating: shady sales tactics/stolen sales, loss of customer service. The way we are being pushed to hit numbers is comparable to working at a car dealership, not a tea house. Lack of faith in our company is causing us to have a turnover rate comparable with mcdonalds. Boost in employee satisfaction=Boost in employee retention=Boost in profits!

Higher pay and steady hours please!!!

Fabulous concept, great product

Corporate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat product, free tea, Starbucks benefits, flexible hours, friendly culture, central location. New management seem ready to grow.

ConsUncertain changes with Starbucks, high pressure sales

Advice to Senior ManagementBe generous, be innovative, be aware.

Tea journey that didn't go well.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStarbucks benefits are great: bean stock, 30% off at Starbucks and Teavana. Free tea to drink all day. A few paid holidays. The training about tea is long, but interesting. Tea is excellent albeit expensive.

ConsWe have poor leadership in our District and it makes for a difficult place to work. Must follow the scripted and awkward selling process, which involves mirror questions and sampling all 6 teas in the store. Customers are to be led on a "tea journey", not something most customers are interested in taking that much time to do.. General Managers are required to meet selling quotas and compete against their associates who are on commission. This makes for a stressful work environment. Training in Atlanta is lengthy and very tedious. Your days off and hours are dictated by the Area Manager, so hope you get a good one!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tea is good, but the selling process is dated and overbearing. Most customers do not want to purchase a $200 cast iron teapot that rusts. They just want a quick and cost effective way to brew tea. A revamp to your training and sales process is overdue. More support and structure for Area Managers in the field is sorely needed. Ours was never available.

Fun to learn about tea

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsALL THE TEA YOU WANT!
    l also learned a lot about the lifestyle that goes along with tea. A lot goes into learning about tea, and the constant knowledge you're getting from the company is awesome.

ConsThe stores operate on a sale based bonus, so the better your store is, the more competition you have.

Great Perks, But you must be comfortable Sell, SELL, SELLING!

Team Member (Former Employee)

ProsAll you can drink free, delicious tea. The training process is fun and you learn a lot about the World and Culture of Tea. It can be very fascinating.

ConsIt's less "How can I help You," and more of "What can I talk you into buying. I felt pushy and uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow some leeway in the Selling Script. It feels forced and unnatural

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teavana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Teavana employees.