Teavana Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
2.7

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 105 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 42 reviews)

• Sales goals are a joke in some locations and the rewards you get are not worth mentioning (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Teavana

Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most are great people to work with. Great product and knowledge acquired. Good discount and ability to move up quickly if you are driven.

Cons

Since the Starbucks acquisition company is very disjointed. Too many new initiatives causing confusion, lack of communication between departments. Different areas trying out different things and no consistency.

Before starting new initiatives, really review what you want to accomplish, test it and get real feedback from the field. Too many 'yes' men who are afraid of losing their positions if they disagree with the direction of the track that is being set.

I've worked for Teavana for a long time. Lots of changes, but overall trying to give the customer a positive experience.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tea! Just relaxed the sales process to make it more service oriented and not just sales, so less intense and much more enjoyable for both the partner and the customer. Great discount, benefits and ability for advancement.

Cons

Although change is a good thing, sometimes an implemented change needs to time to develop and affect. Changing processes, focuses, bonus structure, bonus parameters without a chance to work out any kinks can sometimes be frustrating.

Communication! Keeping your people in the loop and asking for their input makes for a more loyal and consistent area or region.
    Not feeling the need to 'spy' on your people to make sure they are doing their job. That makes it appear you don't trust them and they will always feel on edge. Hits morale too.

Cool Place; Stressful Job

Current Employee - Team Member in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teavana, on the surface, is a cool place to work at. You get to learn about the intricacies and dynamics of tea, as well as how to make tea, along with the most effective products to make tea with. While this varies from store to store, the staff was generally nice and outgoing. Since Teavana is partnered with Starbucks, you become a Starbucks partner as well, allowing Teavana employees to get discounts from Starbucks, as well as a free pound of coffee beans every week. Oh, and the store smells great, and it'll rub off on you, so be prepared to get comments about how you smell like tea.

Cons

Incredibly stressful and sales based, especially for a job that most team members will make barely above minimum wage to do. Managers will always give comments on how to improve sales, and it can lower one's self esteem after the hundredth time. Training is tough, and I highly advise you brush up on your knowledge of tea prior to training, as it's mostly done in store, and experienced team members can and will look down on you and judge you for it. Schedule's are erratic and tend to change frequently. Closing the store is a huge undertaking, and sometimes it was only up to me and an AGM to close. You have to clean the entire store, take out the trash, do the dishes, and more, all while potentially having to be the barista until the last 45 minutes. You will get breaks, however, sometimes it's so hectic I swear my manager would kill me if I even thought about going on break. Sometimes, you'll be unable to make sales goal due to not being zoned to the tea wall. Good luck.

Why, WHY is Teavana so sales focused? If you want people to come in and relax, don't force your sales associates to assault customers on the way in. If you eased up on your Team Members, sales would probably increase.

Management makes or breaks

Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally awesome, an the perks are nice

Cons

SALES DRIVEN, bad management, bad system.

Please rethink how you are selling tea to customers.

Good if you're in college

Current Employee - Teaologist
    Current Employee - Teaologist

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits if you work 20+ hours a week
    Starbucks partner
    Nice management
    Free tea during shift
    Co-workers are fun to work with

Cons

Demanding for a 8.50/hr job. The more productive you are the more hours you get. Don't expect much if you're just starting out. Also...the major con is the pay structure. I've been one of the top sellers of the store and still get under 30 hours a week. Also, the rule is that if your sales are up during the week, then you can do the tea wall. I've only seen that once. They like to play favorites over here. There is a bonus system but you have to average $80/hr for all of your shifts to qualify. So if you're working a weekend and not placed on the tea wall, it's nearly impossible to get your bonus for the month. They call themselves the "louis vitton" of teas but surely don't pay their employees like that.

Tell corporate to pay more and you won't have high attrition rates.

New Concept, Lots of Changes

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Tea while working, Store Manager was very flexible when scheduling. New concept tea bar so lots of great tea fusions and drinks to try. Good pay and good Starbucks benefits.

Cons

New concept Tea Bar so processes are very hit and miss. Training while covering a lot of the drink preparation and sales aspects was non existent when it came to management training. A lot of micromanaging from outside the store.

Better training on the management aspects for Shift Managers.

Fast upward mobility opportunities, high stress-high payoff, large turnover rate

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Career wise, Teavana offers tons of opportunities for leadership and promotions. I was able to move up from team member to team leader in 3 months, then Assistant General Manager in another 3 months and I was on the fast track to General Manager of my own store (within a 3 month time frame) before I left the company. The company also offers 2% commission if you make your monetary goal for the week. You also get to learn new and sharpen your old salesperson skills, meet new people and making lasting friendships with coworkers (Teavana seems to attract really outgoing, friendly and awesome people). Lastly, one of the greatest pros of working for Teavana is that you get paid weekly.
    Company perks are free cups of tea while at work, free 1lb of coffee or tin of tea (other options as well) a week from Starbucks, 30% off all items from Teavana or Starbucks, and automatic upgrade to Gold Star for signing up your rewards card.

Cons

This job is highly stressful; it's strictly sales driven, you have to ensure that the store reaches its goals by making your personal goals as well as helping others reach theirs. You have to talk to people all day and constantly use pushy sales tactics to finalize sales. The hours are usually all over the place and my management had large issues allowing people to switch/change hours. For all these reasons, turnover rate can be quite high.

Even though selling is our job, please offer employees tons of incentives and encouragement because it really is a tough job.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with a full-time student schedule, supportive management and co-workers, great company & Starbucks partner perks, love the teas, and getting to know people and their needs.

Cons

Sales zoning on the weekends - only managers get to sell tea, while sales associates can only get credit for non-tea items.

Keep up the good work!

I love my job!

Current Employee - Team Lead in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to drink tea all day. Great vibe and great coworkers as well as customers! You get to meet tea fanatics!

Cons

Of course making plan/goal is always on my mind. But that comes with part of the job. Be ready for it.

Take care of your top sales people. They work very hard for the good of the company.

Enjoy the tea, enjoy the people, and love selling teas.

Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist" in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist" in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Teavana gives you the opportunity to learn about all of the different in-store teas and about the retail/tea industry from a sales perspective. There is a lot of opportunity to work on your people skills, interacting and reading customers and gaining understanding of what works/what doesn't for small talk. Growth in terms of sales is fast at first and tends to slow as you improve and there comes a point where if you don't chose to consciously push yourself, you may not feel like you are learning anything new, but there is always something to learn as long as you look for it.

Cons

Managers are not sold that formal training is as valuable as 'on the floor' training, resulting in lesser quality/quantity of formal training and more self-driven performance improvement. There is a lot to be done in store to keep clean and organized but roles are not well assigned/understaffed so upkeep is not as efficient and consistent as it could be. Depending on management style, pushing high ATP day in day out can burden the atmosphere.

Value more formal training, put more emphasis on customer service (yes there is already this emphasis, could just be pushed further), help staff analyze their sales more to keep improving week after week.

Teavana Photos