Teavana Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.7

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 103 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 41 reviews)

• Sales goals are a joke in some locations and the rewards you get are not worth mentioning (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Management makes or breaks

Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally awesome, an the perks are nice

Cons

SALES DRIVEN, bad management, bad system.

Please rethink how you are selling tea to customers.

Good if you're in college

Current Employee - Teaologist
    Current Employee - Teaologist

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits if you work 20+ hours a week
    Starbucks partner
    Nice management
    Free tea during shift
    Co-workers are fun to work with

Cons

Demanding for a 8.50/hr job. The more productive you are the more hours you get. Don't expect much if you're just starting out. Also...the major con is the pay structure. I've been one of the top sellers of the store and still get under 30 hours a week. Also, the rule is that if your sales are up during the week, then you can do the tea wall. I've only seen that once. They like to play favorites over here. There is a bonus system but you have to average $80/hr for all of your shifts to qualify. So if you're working a weekend and not placed on the tea wall, it's nearly impossible to get your bonus for the month. They call themselves the "louis vitton" of teas but surely don't pay their employees like that.

Tell corporate to pay more and you won't have high attrition rates.

New Concept, Lots of Changes

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Tea while working, Store Manager was very flexible when scheduling. New concept tea bar so lots of great tea fusions and drinks to try. Good pay and good Starbucks benefits.

Cons

New concept Tea Bar so processes are very hit and miss. Training while covering a lot of the drink preparation and sales aspects was non existent when it came to management training. A lot of micromanaging from outside the store.

Better training on the management aspects for Shift Managers.

Fast upward mobility opportunities, high stress-high payoff, large turnover rate

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Career wise, Teavana offers tons of opportunities for leadership and promotions. I was able to move up from team member to team leader in 3 months, then Assistant General Manager in another 3 months and I was on the fast track to General Manager of my own store (within a 3 month time frame) before I left the company. The company also offers 2% commission if you make your monetary goal for the week. You also get to learn new and sharpen your old salesperson skills, meet new people and making lasting friendships with coworkers (Teavana seems to attract really outgoing, friendly and awesome people). Lastly, one of the greatest pros of working for Teavana is that you get paid weekly.
    Company perks are free cups of tea while at work, free 1lb of coffee or tin of tea (other options as well) a week from Starbucks, 30% off all items from Teavana or Starbucks, and automatic upgrade to Gold Star for signing up your rewards card.

Cons

This job is highly stressful; it's strictly sales driven, you have to ensure that the store reaches its goals by making your personal goals as well as helping others reach theirs. You have to talk to people all day and constantly use pushy sales tactics to finalize sales. The hours are usually all over the place and my management had large issues allowing people to switch/change hours. For all these reasons, turnover rate can be quite high.

Even though selling is our job, please offer employees tons of incentives and encouragement because it really is a tough job.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with a full-time student schedule, supportive management and co-workers, great company & Starbucks partner perks, love the teas, and getting to know people and their needs.

Cons

Sales zoning on the weekends - only managers get to sell tea, while sales associates can only get credit for non-tea items.

Keep up the good work!

I love my job!

Current Employee - Team Lead in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to drink tea all day. Great vibe and great coworkers as well as customers! You get to meet tea fanatics!

Cons

Of course making plan/goal is always on my mind. But that comes with part of the job. Be ready for it.

Take care of your top sales people. They work very hard for the good of the company.

Enjoy the tea, enjoy the people, and love selling teas.

Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist" in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist" in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Teavana gives you the opportunity to learn about all of the different in-store teas and about the retail/tea industry from a sales perspective. There is a lot of opportunity to work on your people skills, interacting and reading customers and gaining understanding of what works/what doesn't for small talk. Growth in terms of sales is fast at first and tends to slow as you improve and there comes a point where if you don't chose to consciously push yourself, you may not feel like you are learning anything new, but there is always something to learn as long as you look for it.

Cons

Managers are not sold that formal training is as valuable as 'on the floor' training, resulting in lesser quality/quantity of formal training and more self-driven performance improvement. There is a lot to be done in store to keep clean and organized but roles are not well assigned/understaffed so upkeep is not as efficient and consistent as it could be. Depending on management style, pushing high ATP day in day out can burden the atmosphere.

Value more formal training, put more emphasis on customer service (yes there is already this emphasis, could just be pushed further), help staff analyze their sales more to keep improving week after week.

Okay for a part-time job, but is more demanding.

Former Employee - Barista in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Barista in Edison, NJ

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

if you're a tea fanatic, you will love this place because there's alot of opportunites to try different tea's for free as aemployee, and a great discount for the loose tea and merchandise, which are all really high qualitly.

Cons

the job is very demanding for a minimum wage job. The training manual is a VERY large book, which tells you everything from the different types of tea, the history behind them, how to sell products etc. And you get tested on each chapter of the training manual.
    Luckily I switched from Sales to a Barista, because since the sales are not shared, there is a great competition for customers in the store. You never know who is going to steal your customer, which might make it a bad working environment. If you like competition, go ahead, but just a warning... you might not be the favorite person among your employee's.
    As a barista, you're more relaxed than the sales, but the work is just as demanding. You are expected to know how long each tea brews (yes different teas have different brewing times), especially when dealing with tea mixes. You are also constantly replenishing the samples carts, knowing the recipes for cold/hot single cups, samples etc. it might not seem like a lot, but just think about making 3-4 single order cups of tea and 3-5 sample teas at the same time. It's pretty hectic.

All in all, I think its a great place to work, but I hope that it would loosen the reigns as a sales environment. I understand that the sales of tea/merchandise is how the store lives, but I've gotten many comments from my friends and other customers from teavana saying that their actually intimidated, because the sales people just swoop to them the minute they come into the store. If they made it more relaxed, and maybe shared the sales? (Just a suggestion) the sales people wouldn't so desperate to get sales, and the customers would feel more relaxed inside the store.

Sell sell sell

I worked at Teavana

Pros

People were passionate about the product. Worked at 2 different locations and loved the staff at both. Free tea drinks while on duty. Great discount.

Cons

Graded weekly on sales. Meeting goals was very nerve racking. Pay and bonuses were very low. Hours could some times be very inconsistent. Management would occasionally "step in" on sales to gain commission.

Your staff is a reflection of you. Management should be focused on improving staff goals and store goals instead of personal.

Too much pressure, not enough pay

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses when you make your sales goals for the month, actually selling a great product that people get excited about, getting free cups of tea, management usually runs contests for prizes, and a pretty good discount. You're a Starbucks partner, so discount at Starbucks and their benefits. I actually love the product and really love sharing it with others: you get immersed in the tea culture and it's really awesome stuff.

Cons

Low compensation considering the workload: you can get paid more money to deal with less at other retail workplaces as a team lead/keyholder. You are expected to meet sales goals and it a very pushy approach with customers - less so now since they've recently revamped their sales process, though. Be prepared for a company that deals with lots of changes constantly, and does not communicate those changes to sales staff. Literally found out about our tea being sold at Starbucks from a customer. They recently raised the requirements for bonuses, so it will be considerably more difficult to bonus. They are also slowly drifting away from the healthy quality of tea: slowly but surely the traditional teas are being replaced by fruity herbal blends that contain artificial flavor in most cases.

Less is more when it comes to paperwork and manually tracking sales of certain products. Less mirco-managing. Our area manager literally has us write down every customer interaction we have throughout the day in two-hour intervals. Communicate! SO many changes are hard to keep up with when you don't keep everyone up to speed. Allow your management in store to operate on the floor actually selling more often than they are answering endless emails, pointless conference calls, and passive-aggressive phone calls from upper management.

Teavana Photos