Teavana Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 107 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 43 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

High-Stress, Low Pay

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and really cool people work here (for the most part,) you get to drink as much tea as you want while on duty, now that they're connected to Starbucks you get a pound of coffee a week!

Cons

Very stressful and thankless job as a barista, I was making minimum wage and there are no tip jars for the barista which is unfortunate. Super sales driven, I was not the best salesperson so I ended up being in stock and being a barista for the most part which was awesome but then when they needed sales they were disappointed in my work... but I wasn't even a salesperson. Turn over rate is very high, managers are not nice.

Good product, aggressive sales environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, strong work life balance, training is a long process for sales associate but honestly it is not bad.
    Free tea while at work
    Good discount
    Easy to sell product

Cons

Aggressive sales technique
    Makes working with customers feel uncomfortable
    They make you say things about the products that can be misleading

Store managers were good however, the vertical nature of the company makes policies seem to be implemented harshly

Sales Position

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

You get to work in a calm environment and learn about/sample lots of tea. You can discuss tea and tea accessories with people all day. If you hit your sales goals you can get a small bonus.

Cons

You start at minimum wage and even if you get a sales bonus it doesn't add much. Your sales goals can be unreasonably high- it was common that no one in my store hit their sales goals. Sometimes they wanted you to sell in a way that felt exploitative of the customers.

Pay your employees more

Work hard and get promoted!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working at my store for a little over a month and I've already been promoted to Team Lead. The upper management expects a lot from you but if you do your best you'll be just fine! The employee discount is generous and extends to Starbucks as well! Plus you get unlimited tea while working so you can try anything you want!

Cons

Sales process described in the training manual can seem a bit pushy, you just have to adjust it to your personal sales style. There is also a rather steep learning curve compared to other retail jobs but on the job training makes things easier.

I would like to see a more consistent training program implemented; with the right tools anyone can succeed at Teavana!

Teavana

Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most are great people to work with. Great product and knowledge acquired. Good discount and ability to move up quickly if you are driven.

Cons

Since the Starbucks acquisition company is very disjointed. Too many new initiatives causing confusion, lack of communication between departments. Different areas trying out different things and no consistency.

Before starting new initiatives, really review what you want to accomplish, test it and get real feedback from the field. Too many 'yes' men who are afraid of losing their positions if they disagree with the direction of the track that is being set.

Cool Place; Stressful Job

Current Employee - Team Member in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teavana, on the surface, is a cool place to work at. You get to learn about the intricacies and dynamics of tea, as well as how to make tea, along with the most effective products to make tea with. While this varies from store to store, the staff was generally nice and outgoing. Since Teavana is partnered with Starbucks, you become a Starbucks partner as well, allowing Teavana employees to get discounts from Starbucks, as well as a free pound of coffee beans every week. Oh, and the store smells great, and it'll rub off on you, so be prepared to get comments about how you smell like tea.

Cons

Incredibly stressful and sales based, especially for a job that most team members will make barely above minimum wage to do. Managers will always give comments on how to improve sales, and it can lower one's self esteem after the hundredth time. Training is tough, and I highly advise you brush up on your knowledge of tea prior to training, as it's mostly done in store, and experienced team members can and will look down on you and judge you for it. Schedule's are erratic and tend to change frequently. Closing the store is a huge undertaking, and sometimes it was only up to me and an AGM to close. You have to clean the entire store, take out the trash, do the dishes, and more, all while potentially having to be the barista until the last 45 minutes. You will get breaks, however, sometimes it's so hectic I swear my manager would kill me if I even thought about going on break. Sometimes, you'll be unable to make sales goal due to not being zoned to the tea wall. Good luck.

Why, WHY is Teavana so sales focused? If you want people to come in and relax, don't force your sales associates to assault customers on the way in. If you eased up on your Team Members, sales would probably increase.

I've worked for Teavana for a long time. Lots of changes, but overall trying to give the customer a positive experience.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tea! Just relaxed the sales process to make it more service oriented and not just sales, so less intense and much more enjoyable for both the partner and the customer. Great discount, benefits and ability for advancement.

Cons

Although change is a good thing, sometimes an implemented change needs to time to develop and affect. Changing processes, focuses, bonus structure, bonus parameters without a chance to work out any kinks can sometimes be frustrating.

Communication! Keeping your people in the loop and asking for their input makes for a more loyal and consistent area or region.
    Not feeling the need to 'spy' on your people to make sure they are doing their job. That makes it appear you don't trust them and they will always feel on edge. Hits morale too.

Good if you're in college

Current Employee - Teaologist
    Current Employee - Teaologist

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits if you work 20+ hours a week
    Starbucks partner
    Nice management
    Free tea during shift
    Co-workers are fun to work with

Cons

Demanding for a 8.50/hr job. The more productive you are the more hours you get. Don't expect much if you're just starting out. Also...the major con is the pay structure. I've been one of the top sellers of the store and still get under 30 hours a week. Also, the rule is that if your sales are up during the week, then you can do the tea wall. I've only seen that once. They like to play favorites over here. There is a bonus system but you have to average $80/hr for all of your shifts to qualify. So if you're working a weekend and not placed on the tea wall, it's nearly impossible to get your bonus for the month. They call themselves the "louis vitton" of teas but surely don't pay their employees like that.

Tell corporate to pay more and you won't have high attrition rates.

Management makes or breaks

Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally awesome, an the perks are nice

Cons

SALES DRIVEN, bad management, bad system.

Please rethink how you are selling tea to customers.

New Concept, Lots of Changes

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Tea while working, Store Manager was very flexible when scheduling. New concept tea bar so lots of great tea fusions and drinks to try. Good pay and good Starbucks benefits.

Cons

New concept Tea Bar so processes are very hit and miss. Training while covering a lot of the drink preparation and sales aspects was non existent when it came to management training. A lot of micromanaging from outside the store.

Better training on the management aspects for Shift Managers.

Teavana Photos