www.teavana.com

Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 107 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 43 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Do you like tea?

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the tea you can drink
    Very friendly people
    Good discounts on tea and product
    Free pound of Starbucks coffee a week
    Lots of people interaction

Cons

They changed health benefits
    High turnover rate in employees
    Inflexible schedules
    No sick days
    Not allowed to be "full time"

Let the managers had a little slack on sales, it's very difficult to run the store and be top sales at the same time

High-Stress, Low Pay

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and really cool people work here (for the most part,) you get to drink as much tea as you want while on duty, now that they're connected to Starbucks you get a pound of coffee a week!

Cons

Very stressful and thankless job as a barista, I was making minimum wage and there are no tip jars for the barista which is unfortunate. Super sales driven, I was not the best salesperson so I ended up being in stock and being a barista for the most part which was awesome but then when they needed sales they were disappointed in my work... but I wasn't even a salesperson. Turn over rate is very high, managers are not nice.

Sales Position

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

You get to work in a calm environment and learn about/sample lots of tea. You can discuss tea and tea accessories with people all day. If you hit your sales goals you can get a small bonus.

Cons

You start at minimum wage and even if you get a sales bonus it doesn't add much. Your sales goals can be unreasonably high- it was common that no one in my store hit their sales goals. Sometimes they wanted you to sell in a way that felt exploitative of the customers.

Pay your employees more

Good product, aggressive sales environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, strong work life balance, training is a long process for sales associate but honestly it is not bad.
    Free tea while at work
    Good discount
    Easy to sell product

Cons

Aggressive sales technique
    Makes working with customers feel uncomfortable
    They make you say things about the products that can be misleading

Store managers were good however, the vertical nature of the company makes policies seem to be implemented harshly

Work hard and get promoted!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working at my store for a little over a month and I've already been promoted to Team Lead. The upper management expects a lot from you but if you do your best you'll be just fine! The employee discount is generous and extends to Starbucks as well! Plus you get unlimited tea while working so you can try anything you want!

Cons

Sales process described in the training manual can seem a bit pushy, you just have to adjust it to your personal sales style. There is also a rather steep learning curve compared to other retail jobs but on the job training makes things easier.

I would like to see a more consistent training program implemented; with the right tools anyone can succeed at Teavana!

Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Trainer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most are great people to work with. Great product and knowledge acquired. Good discount and ability to move up quickly if you are driven.

Cons

Since the Starbucks acquisition company is very disjointed. Too many new initiatives causing confusion, lack of communication between departments. Different areas trying out different things and no consistency.

Before starting new initiatives, really review what you want to accomplish, test it and get real feedback from the field. Too many 'yes' men who are afraid of losing their positions if they disagree with the direction of the track that is being set.

Fun, but little to no advancement.

Current Employee - Team Member in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Albany, NY

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, all the tea you can drink, discounts at both Starbucks and Teavana. Part time benefits.

Cons

Lots of stress and pressure for not a lot of pay. SOME people advance if they work hard but others are kept from being promoted regardless of skill. I was told, when I was hired two years ago, that only people who have worked their way up would get promoted. Not true. We had a few outside managers, people hired to be team leads (when it was their first time working for Teavana,) and rarely was anyone QUALIFIED promoted. Not worth it.

Let the managers have lives outside of work. We've had some of our best managers leave because of the pressure.

Stressful work Environment

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Introduced to new flavors of tea. Unlimited tea samples, Able to enjoy tea while working, Get to meet interesting people on the sales floor. starbucks discount.

Cons

Somewhat unfriendly management, Not enough hours during shifts, pushy sales tactics stressful and too sales based, made barely above minimum wage without meeting sales goals

OK, if you are a tea drinker

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the tea you can drink while on the clock. Weekly free 1# bag of Starbucks coffee, as Starbucks is the parent company.

Cons

They really want you to be pushy. I personally, as a customer in any store, find that annoying.

Sales process is deceitful, but drinking tea all day was really great..

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved drinking tea all day, that's the only thing I missed.

Cons

The sales process is manipulative and they only care about sales. If you don't sell as much as you want they are practically done with you. Good sales = likability. Have a bad week or the store is slow = banishment, looked down upon, pushed to do more. Basically ended up developing an anxiety problem because of how much they stressed me out. Company values are solely on sales. Stuff is overpriced. They say the culture is tea but really all they want is $$$$$$. You could advance if you were ruthless in sells. I thought it was going to be a relaxed environment where we educated and communicated about tea, but really it was a shrk--like environment, riddled with people who would steal sales. Assistant managers compete with team members.

Manager makes all the difference.

Teavana Photos