Teavana

Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 44 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Heavy sales job that is fun

Former Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good People
    Great Tea
    30% Discount on Teavana and Starbucks, plus free mark outs from Starbucks.

Cons

Heavy driven sales
    Don't make sales and you get your hours shortened until you do.
    Super annoying meetings.

Don't make the schedules and promotions based sorely on one's numbers but instead, a combination of numbers and customer service factors.

its ok

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like all the people i work with. Benefits and discount is great.

Cons

Really bad pay especially since they rolled two jobs into one.The barista is expected to be lead stock as well as barista.

Raise pay. or give more hours

Not for me

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

Tea while working, okay pay

Cons

Hours were bad for me, poor work/life balance

Emailing schedules would be very helpful, having specified times that the schedules go out

Good base sales experience.

Former Employee - Operationsead in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Operationsead in Brea, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast pace sales environment. Taught me a lot of sales skills. Free unlimited tea!

Cons

Upper management is a joke.

Hire more competent area managers with expertise in driving sales and getting employees excited

Originally was v. passionate about the company, left because of how controlling and manipulative upper-management became

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

30% off discount, Starbucks benefits (free lb of coffee weekly), Full-time management accrues PTO, ability to bonus, when the dynamic is right this is a job that can attract some very fun and intelligent people.

Cons

As of late the training is very spotty and not at all useful which makes it difficult for all but seasoned employees to make their monthly bonus, upper management (area managers/regional director) is unfocused at best and completely unresponsive at worst, promotions are given to favorites instead of to the best-qualified candidates.

Most of all, the company has completely lost the ability to retain good people because of an unwillingness to give competitive wages for the amount of stress/work that the job requires.

Speaking only about the region/area that I worked, I would tell the higher-ups: you would be surprised by what amazing results you will get by trusting your store teams and relinquishing some control/allowing stores to be run more organically. There is an inability to compete with previous years' sales numbers because a) the managers are overburdened with so many conflicting communications and directives from the higher-ups (New Sales Process! Make it Personal! Expedited Beverage Service! The New Training Blocks!) and b) the lack of emphasis on training new hires on what makes our tea high-quality and using that as the basis to actually sell it (instead, the focus is on identifying the different types of customers nowadays)... I was lucky to have had a supportive General Manager and an invested Area Manager for the bulk of my Teavana career, but when both of those roles were shfted onto other people in my last few months, I found myself with a GM who was unwilling to listen to any voices in the store (and therefore couldn't establish a trusting environment), and a completely unprofessional and unqualified Area Manager. I ended up giving my 2-weeks notice and am much happier with a new company!

I loved the job, but had trouble with management.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Teavana

Pros

Fun job for someone who loves tea

Cons

Promotions based on sales ability, not management potential

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The tea is amazing, there is fast growth potential (I received 5promotions in 2 years), wonderful benefits, all the tea you can drink, overal fun work environment and amazing clients.

Cons

Too many changes happening in the company and that confuses the staff, too much pressure coming down from bosses makes the work not fun and too rigid a sales process that very few people truly understand much less get good at.

Relax. There is so much stress and pressure on everyone that no one is thinking clearly let alone functioning at a high level. Allow the partners to find their own way of selling as long as the facts are right.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

Sales goals are hard during the slow months of the year

Good beginning, awful end

Current Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tea is delicious and for the most part my co-workers were great. Enjoyed my first two managers. If you are good at sales and enjoy it, you will like it here. If not this is not the job for you.

Cons

I was there for just under two years, and in that time I went through 4 managers. I went through 3 area managers. Store turnover was awful and it was hard keeping people. Upper management made a lot of promises about promotions if you sold well that they never keep. They make a big deal about promoting from within but then they hire from outside even if there are qualified people in the store. The area manager in my area was completely and utterly inept and was the reason I ultimately quit.

Keep promises you make and do not get people's hopes up if you cannot follow through.

Empty Promises

Former Employee - Team Lead in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free tea on the clock, Fun co workers, bonus structure, weekly pay

Cons

benefits are costly. You are trained to pressure people to but things they don't want or need.

Develop your people and you can keep themn

Teavana Photos