Teavana

Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 44 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Training, OK company

Former Employee - Visual Team Lead in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Visual Team Lead in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free tea on the job is awesome. The training is top-notch. You'll learn a lot about tea, health, and sales techniques. Co-workers are almost always super fun friendly and driven people.

Cons

The pressure to sell and standing at the sample station is awful sometimes. I mean, really awful.
    There is an incredibly high turnover rate, so even if you're up for a promotion, if you get a GM, branch or regional manager, they probably don't have the same agenda as your previous management.

Good for enthusiastic people who like commission

Former Employee - Teavana - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Teavana - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The tea is really good, and the products are solid. If you can reel customers in, you're golden. People who sold the most stuff got extra incentives like a free teakettle, etc. Good if you like to rotate - i.e. you give samples at the door part of your shift, make teas for customers another part, encourage customers to buy part of your shift. At the time I was employed, it seemed to be a good place for growth because they had just opened their first store in the area and I saw several managers climb the ranks.

Cons

You have to be very "motivated" (read- PUSHY!) and learn a lot of rehearsed knowledge to pass on to customers. No control over what section of the store you will work in, which means you may not work for commission as often as you'd like. You also will have to stand at the door and try to force tea into the faces of passing by shoppers. If you don't like working for commission or you are shy, I wouldn't advise it. It was fun for a while.

Do you like tea?

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the tea you can drink
    Very friendly people
    Good discounts on tea and product
    Free pound of Starbucks coffee a week
    Lots of people interaction

Cons

They changed health benefits
    High turnover rate in employees
    Inflexible schedules
    No sick days
    Not allowed to be "full time"

Let the managers had a little slack on sales, it's very difficult to run the store and be top sales at the same time

High-Stress, Low Pay

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and really cool people work here (for the most part,) you get to drink as much tea as you want while on duty, now that they're connected to Starbucks you get a pound of coffee a week!

Cons

Very stressful and thankless job as a barista, I was making minimum wage and there are no tip jars for the barista which is unfortunate. Super sales driven, I was not the best salesperson so I ended up being in stock and being a barista for the most part which was awesome but then when they needed sales they were disappointed in my work... but I wasn't even a salesperson. Turn over rate is very high, managers are not nice.

Sales Position

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

You get to work in a calm environment and learn about/sample lots of tea. You can discuss tea and tea accessories with people all day. If you hit your sales goals you can get a small bonus.

Cons

You start at minimum wage and even if you get a sales bonus it doesn't add much. Your sales goals can be unreasonably high- it was common that no one in my store hit their sales goals. Sometimes they wanted you to sell in a way that felt exploitative of the customers.

Pay your employees more

Fun, but little to no advancement.

Current Employee - Team Member in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Albany, NY

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, all the tea you can drink, discounts at both Starbucks and Teavana. Part time benefits.

Cons

Lots of stress and pressure for not a lot of pay. SOME people advance if they work hard but others are kept from being promoted regardless of skill. I was told, when I was hired two years ago, that only people who have worked their way up would get promoted. Not true. We had a few outside managers, people hired to be team leads (when it was their first time working for Teavana,) and rarely was anyone QUALIFIED promoted. Not worth it.

Let the managers have lives outside of work. We've had some of our best managers leave because of the pressure.

Stressful work Environment

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Introduced to new flavors of tea. Unlimited tea samples, Able to enjoy tea while working, Get to meet interesting people on the sales floor. starbucks discount.

Cons

Somewhat unfriendly management, Not enough hours during shifts, pushy sales tactics stressful and too sales based, made barely above minimum wage without meeting sales goals

OK, if you are a tea drinker

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the tea you can drink while on the clock. Weekly free 1# bag of Starbucks coffee, as Starbucks is the parent company.

Cons

They really want you to be pushy. I personally, as a customer in any store, find that annoying.

Sales process is deceitful, but drinking tea all day was really great..

I worked at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved drinking tea all day, that's the only thing I missed.

Cons

The sales process is manipulative and they only care about sales. If you don't sell as much as you want they are practically done with you. Good sales = likability. Have a bad week or the store is slow = banishment, looked down upon, pushed to do more. Basically ended up developing an anxiety problem because of how much they stressed me out. Company values are solely on sales. Stuff is overpriced. They say the culture is tea but really all they want is $$$$$$. You could advance if you were ruthless in sells. I thought it was going to be a relaxed environment where we educated and communicated about tea, but really it was a shrk--like environment, riddled with people who would steal sales. Assistant managers compete with team members.

Manager makes all the difference.

Assistant manager

I worked at Teavana

Pros

discount was decent and free tea in store whenever you want was always nice. but other than that not much else

Cons

selling strategy is aggressive and manipulative too much focus on deceiving the customer into buying more than they need or want.

Teavana Photos