Teavana Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.7

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 102 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 41 reviews)

• Sales goals are a joke in some locations and the rewards you get are not worth mentioning (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoy the tea, enjoy the people, and love selling teas.

Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist"  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member "teaologist" in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Teavana gives you the opportunity to learn about all of the different in-store teas and about the retail/tea industry from a sales perspective. There is a lot of opportunity to work on your people skills, interacting and reading customers and gaining understanding of what works/what doesn't for small talk. Growth in terms of sales is fast at first and tends to slow as you improve and there comes a point where if you don't chose to consciously push yourself, you may not feel like you are learning anything new, but there is always something to learn as long as you look for it.

Cons

Managers are not sold that formal training is as valuable as 'on the floor' training, resulting in lesser quality/quantity of formal training and more self-driven performance improvement. There is a lot to be done in store to keep clean and organized but roles are not well assigned/understaffed so upkeep is not as efficient and consistent as it could be. Depending on management style, pushing high ATP day in day out can burden the atmosphere.

Value more formal training, put more emphasis on customer service (yes there is already this emphasis, could just be pushed further), help staff analyze their sales more to keep improving week after week.

Teavana was definitely my best job ever.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Teavana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The diversity, openness, and value the company puts into its employees was great. A lot of opportunities to progress with the company.

Cons

The hours were not very consistent, and keeping up with making sales goals. Obviously like most retail companies, we had to work around the holidays.

Let us know things a little quicker in advance. Things changed pretty quickly after it became a public company and later bought by starbucks.

Very positive with room to grow from within.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teavana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast past and dynamic work environment. Opportunities to bonus each month. Great benefits and high rate of promotion from within.

Cons

Sometimes stressful goals. Performance based heavily on foot traffic and uncontrollable situations.

Continue to invest in and develop your team. Constant communication and transparency is key.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been a whirlwind of information, you will never hear the end of it.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

I think my sales skills have improved significantly.
    This has a great schedule for college students.

Cons

I think the pay isn't fair enough for the people who lead open and close shop.

My shop had great support and training program. It is fast paced, but make sure you don't push the employees or customers too hard.

Worked 2 Years as Bar/Stock

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to tons of teas, free drinks while on the clock, fairly decent healthcare. If you're really into tea its a great learning experience.

Cons

Very difficult to get days off, extremely high pressure during holidays, impossible expectations (such as keeping the entire store clean by oneself), AMs and DMs being aggressive and sometimes very rude

Ease up on the ridiculous sales goals for sales team members. Don't expect one person to be able to do the job of many.

Disappointing company. Great tea

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

My co workers. Free tea during shift

Cons

No hours. Poor management. Poor pay.

Nice perks, average

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist  in  Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist in Dublin, OH

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Tea is fantastic and you get to drink it all day.
    -Very thorough training program- learn the entire tea making process from start to finish, and a very specific sales pitch. I liked the guidance of the selling process.
    -Sometimes employees were offered a free pound of looseleaf or other perks.
    -It's nice that they offer healthcare and now discounts with Starbucks.

Cons

I worked in a mall where the most common customers were teenagers, soccer moms, and mall walkers. Few customers were ever willing to buy anything, yet I was still held to my $250 daily goal, which was nearly impossible on for all but the best salespeople. As a result, my hours were cut drastically. There is little room for anyone who is introverted or unwilling to aggressively push sales on people.

Good in the beginning. Horrible near the end.

Former Employee - Teavana - Sales Associate  in  Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Teavana - Sales Associate in Portage, MI

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

The health benefits are awesome. Free cups of tea whenever you are working. ONLY WHEN YOU ARE WORKING

Cons

Was trained on 4 different ways to do my job.
    The demand for sales were outrageous.
    Stealing of sales happened all the time.
    Hours where so bad that employees never knew if they worked the shift they where given until that day. I got call off at least once a week.
    No consistent hours. Only upper management got full time hours (40 hours). Even team leads who are authorized to get 30 hours might get them.
    PRODUCTIVITY MEANS EVERYTHING. if your productivity isn't good you will not get the hours. SO SALE SALE SALE

I understand management is very complicating and furious. I really do. However; being trained BY THE BOOK would help.
         Also, sales are important but so is making a connection with the customer.
         Having to tell upper management to bring out indicator tea first was a big shock. A customer came in asking for a nice green tea. I ALWAYS brought out indicator tea. She was going to bring out a lower class green tea before I told them to bring out indicator green tea. I was asked why. I had to lie and tell them that I have helped these customers before. I upped there sale and they didn't say thanks for the catch.
         Before new management comes to the store have them train at headquarter so they know what is going on. The new manager at 264 was only taught sampling before taking over management at our store. our district manager and regional manager had to come in to train them. I think that is wrong.
         Even when a team lead or sales associate gets good productivity they don't get the hours to reflect the hard work they did.

Team Leader/ Key Holder

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to drink tea all day.
    Decent benefits

Cons

Starbucks has taken over so it's constantly changing. Poor pay. Mostly sell herbals which isn't real tea than traditional tea. You have to make a certain amount of money to make bonus a month. Barely full time. 30ish hours maybe As a manager

started amazing. then starbucks took over

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Teavana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

it has a ton of potential for personal growth. the pay wasn't bad for retail. good benifits, fast past sales environment, if your good with people you'll do great with the job

Cons

once starbucks took over. the sales goals got harder and hard to meet. they changed the sales process and how the company was functioning on a day to day basis. just didn't seem like the same teavana. upper management like area managers and regional directors can be very rude. if your store isn't doing well its completely blamed on the manager. without any outside factors

spend more time in your stores.

Teavana Photos

Cast Iron
Store front
Counter area
Cast iron sets

+ Add Photo

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!