Teavana Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• got to learn a lot of interesting facts about tea (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales process could use reworking (in 44 reviews)

• You expect to make your sales goals (in 40 reviews)

Challenging at first, but gets good fast!

Current Employee - Team Member in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Know that this job is not for everyone. It's not your typical "cashier" retail job -- you need to be an actual, active salesperson, selling product and tea to people all the time. If you're personable and willing to put in the effort, keep reading! Great coworkers 40% discount Great starting salary (for retail) Solid benefits (including a sales bonus) Free tea during your shift! Flexible hours Huge opportunity to advance within the company. Management here is respectful and more than competent, so our environment atmosphere is really nice. However I understand that managers at other locations get really stressed, and that really impacts the salespeople under them. Ask the team members in the store to get a feel when you apply.

Cons

The beginning kind of sucks, I'm not gonna lie. I went through a week of intensive training to get all the product knowledge in and after that, they only gave me 10 hours the first week. However, I bumped up to 23 hours in less than a month so if you do well on sales, you get more hours quick. Corporate is really intense Really pushy sales process is involved (A lot of people are scared off by it, but granted when it works, boy does it work) Everything is based on your sales numbers: hours, bonuses, counter time Trying to meet your goals gets stressful, but management tries to target your problem areas and help you improve every week

Advice to Management

Offer more sales and promotions, especially during the holidays. Even the little ones!

It's Not for Everyone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

-Great discounts -Fantastic career path through internal promotion -Extensive, extensive training -Good health benefits -Performance based compensation (Great, as long as you're good at what you do.) -Great corporate support structure -Very good communication from the corporate level to the store level

Cons

-Aggressive sales environment that isn't a suit to everyone's personality -Growing pains as it shifts from small company to big company mentality -Inconsistency in policy (It's getting better. Again, growing pains. Trying out new things and tossing what doesn't work) -Inconsistency in store and area management.

Advice to Management

Stick to the book! Don't make up your own policies or treat your location as if you own it. We're all in this together, and we all have to be consistent about it. It'll really help us all out long-term.

Amazing Job All Around

Former Employee - Team Lead in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Not only do they offer a 40% discount on everything and unlimited free beverages, but employees are welcome to take damaged items at no cost. The pay is great, especially for retail! I loved that all of my coworkers were fully competent and intellectual; a rare find in any job! There is a fantastic, easy to follow training manual so every new employee gets the support he needs to succeed immediately, regardless of previous experience. The company also offers an amazing, fully paid 2 week training for potential managers, and there are a TON of promotion opportunities. The company is very involved in global charity and takes pride in the quality and source of every single product. There is no busy work, just the basic necessary paperwork ( done almost completely electronically to be Green), so you get lots of time with customers.

Cons

All locations are in malls, and you have to sample to people in the hall. The quality of the customer who enters the store to purchase is great, but you have to deal with all the other mall folk as well!

Advice to Management

Give more autonomy to store managers.

I love my job despite some issues.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

This is the first job I have ever worked in which you really do feel a "family" environment with most other employees and managers. My store has a group of very like minded individuals and you feel comfort in your surroundings. The managers (including the GM) treat you like a human being and a fellow adult, which is very rare in retail, though I'm sure all stores are not as lucky as we are. I think the benefits are nice which include a 40% off discount, free tea, insurance, promotion from with in, and occasional gifts/prizes for hard work. Physically the job is rather easy on ones body as well compared to other retail or food service positions. The training is great and you learn a lot about what you are selling.

Cons

There are to many sales oriented goals that make little to no since. I can understand selling indicators but I will never understand the average sales per ticket insanity. At the end of the day the price of a cup of tea is still going into the company's pocket so why should I be punished for selling it? A Dollar is a Dollar. I think team members who purposefully steal sales should be punished and not rewarded because they made a great sale at the expense of another TEAM mate. I think how hours are based needs serious improvement. I also think zoning needs to be strictly adhered to for EVERY one not just for those of us who have a strong work ethic. Also rotate who gets the counter on zoning days during peek hours. We all deserve a peek hour on counter at least once a month.

Advice to Management

To senior management/The OWNERS/stock holders. You need to readjust your thinking on all your sales goals and what constitutes an employee "paying for themselves". Its not all whats on paper. It involves a great attitude, cleaning and maintenance, team work ect. All of which you can't see on paper, only the managers on duty can see. Also ACTUALLY pay commission. If I'm five dollars under for the entire month I wont get my meager 2% but I will have to worry about getting wrote up?? That is just bad business. Raise your commission percentage and make it where we automatically get it. Also lower your hourly expectations we are in an economic crisis and you sell a luxury item.

6. Couldn't think of a better place to work!

Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been a Teavana barista for over two years now and I have loved my experience here. Tea is something I grew up drinking from a very young age so I had an early passion for it. I feel good working for a company that sells something that benefits your body, and may even cut your medical bills in half. I've worked at two different locations in the Atlanta area and I have loved the people that I work with and they have created a great environment for me to grow. With just about any retail store, employees come and go and I have had the opportunity to train the new employees which has been greatly rewarding. Opportunities to move up in the company are great, as long as you are following the sales process and you are working hard. People that really love what they are selling can easily move up and make a comfortable living. Most retail stores don't give you that kind of chance. I am finishing my degree in International Affairs next year and will definitely try to get a job at the Teavana corporate office. Teavana was recently bought out by Starbucks. This made many uncomfortable since Starbucks was a Teavana competitor, at least at the retail level. I consider this a pro since Starbucks has an awesome reputation for treating their employees well and the benefits of being a Starbucks employee are great. Since Teavana has been bought out, Teavana employees have access to these Starbucks benefits.

Cons

A Teavana work experience varies from store to store. It is all really based around the attitudes of the employees and how that shapes your work day. Since most of the employees are younger, sometimes they can get wrapped up in work/sales drama or they become too involved in the social life of their employees. This has never been an issue for me because I seldom get involved in work social life. The sales process is something that many employees complain about, or don't fully understand, but it is the process that makes a store flourish - Yes standing at the sample cart may not be the most enjoyable part of your work day, but everyone has to do it and you have to learn how to make it fun, and enjoy it. No body likes to work with people that complain. My advice to a future sales employee: Come to work with a smile, enjoy your employees and encourage them, but don't get involved in sales drama, and avoid arguments with your employees. You don't have to make friends at work to enjoy your work environment, you just need to have positive energy. Other employees will feed off of it and so will the customers. When employees come to work with a positive attitude, it makes a huge difference and this will vary from store to store.

Advice to Management

Make sure to train your employees well. Selling tea can be difficult, and if your employees don't understand the quality of what they are selling, your store won't make good profit. Keep up the good work!

7. Great company

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company,good benefits supportive upper management.

Cons

Don't change anything and continue to be supportive.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything.

8. The best job Ive ever had

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has to be the only retail company on earth that promotes so quickly and really takes care of their employees. How many people can say they've met with the CEO of their company on more than one occasion, and I only work in a store, nowhere near the corporate offices.

Cons

there are absolutely none. you work hard, you get rewarded, period.

9. Fun and challenging.

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great area manager very supportive.

Cons

Company takes time about promoting.

Advice to Management

Promote

10. Amazing, feels like a second home.

Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment, Dream Management, Bonus Checks

Cons

Success in the company is solely based on sales per hour. Must be a proficient sales associate

11. Funniest job ever!

Pros

Great people, interesting product, family like team, friendly high energy environment, delicious cups of tea! The best part time job I ever had!

Cons

Does not pay much (literally the only con) I know I need 20 words but sorry not many cons for teavana!

Advice to Management

Thanks for caring about your team, keep it up!

RSS Feed </> Embed