Teavana

Updated December 22, 2014
2.8

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 44 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast upward mobility opportunities, high stress-high payoff, large turnover rate

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grandville, MI

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Career wise, Teavana offers tons of opportunities for leadership and promotions. I was able to move up from team member to team leader in 3 months, then Assistant General Manager in another 3 months and I was on the fast track to General Manager of my own store (within a 3 month time frame) before I left the company. The company also offers 2% commission if you make your monetary goal for the week. You also get to learn new and sharpen your old salesperson skills, meet new people and making lasting friendships with coworkers (Teavana seems to attract really outgoing, friendly and awesome people). Lastly, one of the greatest pros of working for Teavana is that you get paid weekly.
    Company perks are free cups of tea while at work, free 1lb of coffee or tin of tea (other options as well) a week from Starbucks, 30% off all items from Teavana or Starbucks, and automatic upgrade to Gold Star for signing up your rewards card.

Cons

This job is highly stressful; it's strictly sales driven, you have to ensure that the store reaches its goals by making your personal goals as well as helping others reach theirs. You have to talk to people all day and constantly use pushy sales tactics to finalize sales. The hours are usually all over the place and my management had large issues allowing people to switch/change hours. For all these reasons, turnover rate can be quite high.

Even though selling is our job, please offer employees tons of incentives and encouragement because it really is a tough job.

Teavana was definitely my best job ever.

Former Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The diversity, openness, and value the company puts into its employees was great. A lot of opportunities to progress with the company.

Cons

The hours were not very consistent, and keeping up with making sales goals. Obviously like most retail companies, we had to work around the holidays.

Let us know things a little quicker in advance. Things changed pretty quickly after it became a public company and later bought by starbucks.

Great Concept, Where Next?

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Teavana full-time

Pros

Creative culture, flex hours, great co-workers, high quality standards.

Cons

The recent acquisition by Starbucks poses a great challenge as staff adjust to the next work culture. The corporate office is combining with Starbucks, which is actually a benefit if you live in Seattle.

Keep Teavana moving in a tea specific direction, and let the concept maintain a unique retail perspective from what Starbucks already does so well.

Pleasant and Rewarding

Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Drinking all the teas, health conscious ideas, friendly co-workers, fun work goals, presenting teas to customers, helping others feel good/better, understanding and appreciative management.

Cons

Limited scheduling and no room for advancement. (These are only because as a barista you have limited hours and can not advance unless you are also a sales associate. It is my own decision to leave the sales to the sales associates and focus on making the best samples, customer teas, cleaning, and stocking.) The pay isn't high, but the work isn't hard.

Knowing not everyone will buy everything, being reasonable with store goals, and appreciating staff.

Great company with great benefits

Current Employee - Team Lead in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Owned by Starbucks, provides great health benefits even for part time employees. Company is rapidly expanding so there are a lot of opportunities for moving up.

Cons

How many hours you work are based on your sales performance and you are on commission so if you are uncomfortable with sales, you may want to look elsewhere.

It would be nice to still get commission even if you don't make your goal

Great. The people are super nice and friendly. Everyone is devoted and dedicated to the brand and comapny

Former Employee - Allocator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Allocator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated workers. Everyone is passionated about the brand of Teavana. Great energy around the company. Have a mock store in the corporate office, so you get to drink free tea all day,

Cons

VP's are leaving frequently
    Workers are quitting frequently due to the lack of supervising

Amazingly fun place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Member in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

All you can drink tea while you work, employee discount, bonus incentives, and an all around fun environment to work in. If you love talking to people, making sales and amazing tea this is the place for you.

Cons

Hours are determined by sales and pay is relatively low if you don't bonus.

Funniest job ever!

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

Great people, interesting product, family like team, friendly high energy environment, delicious cups of tea! The best part time job I ever had!

Cons

Does not pay much (literally the only con) I know I need 20 words but sorry not many cons for teavana!

Thanks for caring about your team, keep it up!

Amazing, feels like a second home.

Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment, Dream Management, Bonus Checks

Cons

Success in the company is solely based on sales per hour. Must be a proficient sales associate

Fun and challenging.

I have been working at Teavana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great area manager very supportive.

Cons

Company takes time about promoting.

Promote