Teavana Reviews

366 reviews filtered by
2.8
Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 110 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 44 reviews)

• The sales goals can be challenging if you're not in a high volume store (in 40 reviews)

1. Tea life

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

Drink tea all day, clean environment

Cons

low compensation, high sales goals

During my time at Teavana, I became an avid fan of their products but not a fan of their company.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Teavana full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Endless cups of tea, rock sugar, hot water, and cups of ice your heart could ever desire.

Cons

Human resources really need to reevaluate themselves. Poor training by the district and regional managers. An absurd amount of work is expected from the employees for minute pay.

Make sure you equip your HR department with the correct skills on how to train retail employees properly.

3. Disorganized and Unethical

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Towson, MD

I worked at Teavana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks. Relaxing environment. Good dress code. Good staff. You smell good. Starbucks mark outs. Discount at Starbucks. Meet other mall employees.

Cons

Horrible Pay. Unethical treatment of employees. Disorganized training. Over works lower management. No room for growth. Micro managing upper management. Bad work life balance.

Trust your store managers to drive business. Pay your employees better. Make up your mind on your business model.

5. Nice chill job. Can be stressful on Saturdays and sundays, especially during holiday season

Former Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Teavana

Pros

Fun. Good pay. Benefits. Great staff

Cons

Stressful at times. Rude customers.

Get a separate stock person

6. Fun company to work for if you like the people you work with
    Great for a college student or young adult

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Teavana

Pros

Free tea to drink while you're working
    Employee discount of 30% off

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and sales goals

Forced to be uncomfortably pushy.

I worked at Teavana

Pros

Pay, benefits, 401K, easy to move up.

Cons

Only easy to move up because so much turnover. Must follow sales process to the letter or you'll get scolded. People often called out in front of customers to push another tea or item.

Train people to maximize sales without being pushy. I never followed their guidelines, and was one of the highest selling members in the states. Show customers things they say they need, and maybe they'll come back.

8. Good place to start, bad place to stay

I have been working at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started as a team member, and got promoted as a team lead. It was my first retail job experience, and I've learned a lot working here (both about retail and tea in general.) My coworkers are all awesome, and I do genuinely enjoy spending my shifts with them. Plus we get the perks of starbucks (mark-outs, automatic gold-card, partner "perks") They offer good benefits. You have to potential to bonus each month, which is nice. You also get paid every week, which is also nice. Working your way up is easy.

Cons

The pay sucks for the work load they put on you. There's not much of a pay difference between the team leads and the team members ( i think there's only a few cents difference.) They expect a lot from you when you work. High sales pressure, which isn't fun. Low payroll, so if you don't sell and have high numbers, you won't get many hours. depending on the store you work, management might be awful. I've heard horror stories about how dirty some stores are, about how management treats their staff, ect. I was lucky to get hired into a place where management is cool and we have unusually low turnover compared to surrounding stores. They also keep changing procedures and how they want us to sell every week it seems. They put lots of pressure on management, with little pay. The company is down as a whole, so everyone else is suffering. Communication between corporate and retail stores is extremely poor. work-life balance is also not the best, but i feel like that comes with retail.

Test things out and think things through before springing new procedures on your stores. Communicate better, and put less pressure on those in your stores. Get feedback from your stores, instead of assuming what's going to work and whats not. They're the ones in the stores day-to-day, so they'll know whats best.

9. I love it here!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Teavana part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome coworkers, lots of fun, get to drink tea all shift, bonus for high sales

Cons

No organized training, Some managers are having problems breaking away from the old pushy sales tactics, not awesome pay

Get away from being pushy! People continuously complain about the sales tactics and that is still giving us a bad name, get more organized training.

10. Potential to be innovative, but plagued by poor management practices. Goals are difficult but doable.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teaologist

I worked at Teavana part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free tea and the opportunity to meet some unique customers. For the most part the atmosphere is laid-back...unless there is a customer there. Luckily, my management was very flexible regarding my school schedule. Comprehensive training.

Cons

Poor sales practices. Poor management from corporate. At one point I was harassed by a "traveling" manager for not implementing sales practices that I felt ethically uncomfortable with. Inaccessible HR.

Learn how to effectively communicate feedback on employees' performance. Connect retail/corporate culture.

11. Great Opportunities

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Teavana

Pros

There was a great chance for growth and advancement. Always opportunities for relocation. The company values were fantastic along with the training provided.

Cons

Teavana was somewhat an organized disaster. It seemed as though they just couldn't figure out how to put it all together, My work life balance was horrendous. I was always so concerned about sales that I was scared to ask for time off. The pay and benefits were something to be worked on as well.

Teavana Photos