Teavana Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.7

Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Also unlimited free tea while on the clock is an awesome perk as well (in 102 reviews)

• You learn a LOT about tea culture and become a tea snob very quickly (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • having to follow the sales process even when it does not make any sense (in 41 reviews)

• Sales goals are a joke in some locations and the rewards you get are not worth mentioning (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed at best

Former Employee - Team Leader of Operations  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Team Leader of Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Teavana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally good discount, interesting work environment, and great upper management.

Cons

Profit margin on most items is over 95%+, and if you're aware of that fact you're starting to realise how low the company is putting back into you. Middle management (DM to regional) is absolutely feral.

Fun to learn about tea

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

ALL THE TEA YOU WANT!
    l also learned a lot about the lifestyle that goes along with tea. A lot goes into learning about tea, and the constant knowledge you're getting from the company is awesome.

Cons

The stores operate on a sale based bonus, so the better your store is, the more competition you have.

Great Perks, But you must be comfortable Sell, SELL, SELLING!

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

All you can drink free, delicious tea. The training process is fun and you learn a lot about the World and Culture of Tea. It can be very fascinating.

Cons

It's less "How can I help You," and more of "What can I talk you into buying. I felt pushy and uncomfortable.

Please allow some leeway in the Selling Script. It feels forced and unnatural

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper level management needs to wake up and pay attention.

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people the tea, the discounts at both Teavana and Starbucks, and the upwards mobility if you make them money.

Cons

Baristas are underappreciated, hard work is all but ignored unless it directly results in profit, the pressure to sell scares away not only customers but quality employees as well

Reward hard work, allow upward mobility and pay raises to baristas and those who are better suited to work behind the scenes, I have been working for over a year at $8/hr (when I was told baristas are supposed to START at $8.50 because they are not eligible for bonuses) and management refuses to give me a raise despite my hard work, loyalty, knowledge and genuine passion for the products. FOCUS ON SELLING MANY INDIVIDUAL DRINKS INSTEAD OF A FEW LARGE TICKET ITEMS. Modern Americans want ease and convenience and the profit margin on individual drinks is huge and customers will come back and back and back until they get hooked and comfortable enough to buy the large ticket items. This is common sense and I have spoken with countless customers who further support this.

Pay is too low.

I have been working at Teavana part-time

Pros

Free tea all day. Cool people to work with.

Cons

Low pay. The bonus system is a joke. The sales method is sometimes deceitful towards customers.

Show more care to the low end employees, they are the face of your business.

Decent experience, but low pay

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

--a great place to get sales experience I was hired with no previous experience and was able to learn quickly and pick up a lot of skills. Management was great at training.
    --Can be a fun environment. I love my coworkers, the product is interesting, and a lot of customers can be really great to talk to.
    --Good mobility. I've seen an employee go from an entry-level hire to managing their own store in less than two years. This is, of course, very dependent on sales performance.

Cons

--Low pay for the amount of sales focus you do. Team members start at 8 dollars an hour and are high-pressure salespeople, but get paid as little or less than ordinary cashiers at the same mall.
    --Sales can be very high-pressure and require you to be fairly pushy.
    --Corporate seems pretty disconnected from the on-the-ground realities of how the stores actually work

Great company with great benefits

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Teavana part-time for more than a year

Pros

Owned by Starbucks, provides great health benefits even for part time employees. Company is rapidly expanding so there are a lot of opportunities for moving up.

Cons

How many hours you work are based on your sales performance and you are on commission so if you are uncomfortable with sales, you may want to look elsewhere.

It would be nice to still get commission even if you don't make your goal

Good wish i stayed

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

you dont have alot of cleaning after a long day of work. Free tea all day . You get a discount at starbucks

Cons

small area so its easy for people top steal sales. no personal space to store personal items.

Tea is great..having to push people to buy it...not so great

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love free tea throughout the day, best perk of the job is the discount!

Cons

Having to compete for sales and feeling forced to push customers into buying excessive amounts of product

Don't hire so many people!

Stressful and not always tealightful

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Teavana part-time for less than a year

Pros

I got free tea and coffee at Starbucks. The training was pretty good. My store was small so cleaning went quickly. I always loved sampling.

Cons

People quit/get fired all the time. I stuck it out a year and my availability was taken advantage of. I was a pretty good sales person, but my store was so low volume that it was almost impossible for us to have a good day. I hated being pushy with sales. I found that if I was more honest with customers they where more likely to buy something AND come back for more. I was always scolded on this even though when the sales where pushed on people they usually returned it at some point.

If you have a good employee, remember to treat them fairly. If you over work them they will usually leave and not on good terms. You cant force everyone to buy something either.

Teavana Photos

Cast Iron
Store front
Counter area
Cast iron sets

+ Add Photo

Worked for Teavana? Contribute to the Community!