Tech Data Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Reid

Micro-management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAverage salary, excellent benefits, branch office was well-supported by head office

ConsZero chance for advancement, small office, fewer than 20 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your sales people the opportunity to prove themselves without directing their every move.

Big Brother Canada

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, average income, less than 20 employees in branch office. Close knit group.

ConsMicro management and red tape nightmare with very little autonomy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore power to make decisions for non-management employees

It was adequate. Did not expect much

Front Line Worker (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are great (Co workers and some supervisor)
    Always keeping busy
    Lots of overtime

ConsSome Management feed off gossip. Will make decisions based on some of of these negative views.

Advice to Senior ManagementShort term no problem. But do not make any long term commitments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tech Data

Product Manager (Current Employee)

Prosthe ability to succeed in a fast paced work environment. a thrill .

Conswill dismiss people at a moments notice. no sense of loyalty

Advice to Senior Managementbelieve in your people and don't change as the wind blows.

Field Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great. Very fun place to work and be part of a hardworking team.

ConsCompensation is on the low end of the scale for sure.

Advice to Senior Managementrevisit pay levels.

Horrible

Sales (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsThe only thing that I can say is a "Pro" at Tech Data, would be the people. The people are the only thing that will help you make it through the day. Oh and the Cafe food is pretty good too I guess.

ConsThe salary and compensation is garbage. For a position that has as many responsibilities that it has, you would think that base pay would be good. Wrong..Base pay is good if you live at home with you parents and don't have a mortgage, car payments, or any other life long financial obligations. You might start to think that if the base is low, then the commission must be good to make up for it. Sadly, wrong again. The goals that are set out for you are unrealistic and unattainable with the resources and accounts that are given to you. Management seems more concerned with micro managing and assigning pointless tasks. For example, the role of a sales rep should be to make sales. Instead, lets piles endless amounts on paper work and reports to fill and have countless degrading meetings causing sales people to be away or unable to make their sales calls.

Tech Data also doesn't seem to recognize or acknowledge the staff that have outstanding talents. For example, a position comes looking for someone who will be knowledgeable in a product line (ie Desktops, laptops) in order to support the sales staff with technological questions with product line. 2 people interview, one who has no prior experience in dealing with technology and this is their first technology sales job but has a University Diploma in something completely irrelevant to this job , and another person who has 1) Previous technology sales experience, 2) Previous experience as a technician. The best choice would be to go with the person who has the experience. Nope! The person with the University Diploma (not relevant to this career field) gets the job, and for the next several months emails and IM's the other candidate technology questions that they are getting.

So essentially what I'm saying is this, if you want good salary, good commission, less politics and a honest chance to grow within a company, please consider these examples and look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advise I would give to management is this. Re-evaluate your pay structure. The reason why this company has turned into a revolving door is because the pay does not compensate the amount of work you have your employees do. The employees are completely over worked and totally underpaid.
    Also, if you tell an employee you are going to do something for them, follow through. Don't tell someone that they didn't get the job because they don't have enough experience and that "We're going to have you work closely with this new person so you can learn the ropes" and then completely ignore them.

Worked for Tech Data Canada? Contribute to the Community!