Tech Data

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky

Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • So far the company has held true to their promise of work/life balance for their hourly employees(in 5 reviews)

• Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team continuously over commit and look towards development staff to bail them out by working long hours(in 4 reviews)

• Immediate management team will not support growth if they do not agree(in 4 reviews)

Solid place to start your career in IT, but don't stay too long.

Marketing (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement until a point.
    Great co-workers.
    Ability to build strong network of IT professionals.

ConsWork-life balance is horrendous.
    Continually asked to do more with less while expectations and goals continue to increase.
    Salaries are average at best.
    Senior management very out of touch with realities of work loads and employee morale.
    Finance seems to control the direction of the company and only cares about the next quarterly call.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the employees that take care of the well-being of the company.

Tech Data values its employees. They are committed to retaining employees that show initiative.

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsTech Data has competive salaries, flexible schedules, learning tools, tuition reimbursement and a young culture within a very well established 40 yr old business.

ConsA new system conversion has left some of the older employees at a disadvantage

15+ year employee

ProsPros: Great people to work with. Work/life balance is good if you're not in management.

ConsCons: Doesn't pay the highest salaries compared to similar positions elsewhere. Changes can be slow to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having meetings for the sake of having meetings. Be thoughtful of employees time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The culture at Tech Data promotes a great working environment full of opportunity.

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsThe culture makes Tech Data a great place to work. We could wear business causal clothing Monday-Thurs and Friday we could even wear jerseys. Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data.

ConsMy only con would be the cafeteria prices were a bit ridiculous, other than that great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, my managers and supervisors were awesome!

Very demanding work environment with excessive overtime

ProsGreat people and challenging projects.

ConsUnreasonable demands on deadlines and workloads. Too much pressure on results. Management tries to do the right thing but can never get the money from senior leadership. Work areas keep shrinking

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are out of touch with workloads and budget constraints. Finance controls everything and all they care about is the short term results and not the long term effect on employee morale.

Company Amazing, Middle Managers Horrible, Watch out for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslarge company, many positions to eventually move into/up to with manager approval

Consmanagers favor people and co workers wait until every april for reviews to get promotions or transfer, thus no one is your friend.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet finances in order and pay more attention to talent

Quite satisfied with my employment at TechData

Operations (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsPositive work environment, people are nice to work with and managers are good to work for with good lines of communication between employee and manager. Work is not difficult in my department and is very rewarding. Work schedule is very accommodating and flexible.

ConsSome interdepartmental finger-pointing and at times a manager may try to blame an employee for an oversight the manager should also have noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees happy and they will have every reason to stay and be productive.

You'll make friends for life......but it will be a shorter life due to stress

Product Manager (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsYou will make many friends for life, as happens in most combat situations.
    Pete Peterson and Brian Davis. Brilliant SVPs with integrity and who are friendly and welcoming to all employees and vendors.
    Great place to learn and network and get a better job making much, much more money with a manufacturer.
    Located in paradise.

ConsLow moral in most departments.
    Purposely set certain departments against each other (Product Marketing v Purchasing v Accounts Payable) to increase visible profitability. But the time lost in productivity by this arrangement is a hidden profit hit and probably much more impactful in the long run.
    Most departments are understaffed.
    Great employees have been RIF'd many times while slackers stay around for years.
    If salaried, expect to work a minimum of 50 hours a week.
    Product Managers are expected to solve every problem in every department if it concerns a vendor under their responsibility. The buck stops here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to learn what is really happening in the company. Your haven't done that yet, though you have tried with town halls and round tables. I've never worked in a company with such low moral, but the employees put on happy faces for management for fear of losing their jobs.

I enjoyed my time there, and would recommend to a friend.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsThe benefits are good, and the people are great, but a lot of things changed when SAP went in. People became what seemed like bitter and angry at each other. Probably frustration.

ConsPolitics, Odd Org Charts and Structure

best company ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosalways motivating you alot of trips can be own alot of tchnology

Conshard to move up the corporate ladder

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!