Tech Data

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky

Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data(in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good if you're not in management(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team continuously over commit and look towards development staff to bail them out by working long hours(in 4 reviews)

• Turnover is high in many departments - many are leaving due to low pay(in 4 reviews)

Tech Data is Good Company, IT Senior Management is horrible

IT Department (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsTech data is a good company to work for, the benefits are good although compensation is below market value. Sales have decreased significantly because many customers are unhappy with the new SAP implementation and have taken their business else where, the expectation is that Tech Data will survive but not without more cut backs and layoff's in the near future

ConsThe IT Department is a dysfunctional organization, constant battles with other teams just to achieve a simple task or achieve common goals, serious politics run rampant, professionalism does not exist at any level, a lot of useless finger pointing with the common phase "It's not my fault". Senior IT management has no clue how to manage people except to threatening their jobs and protect their favorites, you'll work hard and long hours and receive little in return. I foresee more layoffs than the 10 that occurred this week in IT alone, some loyal people with more than 20 years of dedicated service with the company were sent packing, definitely no loyalty for those that have worked hard over many years to make Tech Data what it is today.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, listen to your people and value loyalty, experience and skills.

Great place to work. Great culture.

Corporate Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsFlexible, stable, and over all great place to work.

ConsCould improve career pathing but if you perform you are rewarded

Good company to work for

Marketing Account Executive (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsGood corporate culture.
    Room to grow
    Good starting point for career in IT disti
    Great executive leadership

ConsLack of formal training
    Mediocre middle management

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize a training and on boarding process for ALL positions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Own your own business, but politics are everywhere

Product Sales Champion (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsModerate salary allows for survival when you don't hit 100% bonus. It's easy to be promoted if you start at the bottom. Your skills and talent will outshine a lack of degree or other shortcomings. You're given ownership of your sales cycle and marketing in some cases.

ConsPolitics come before all else; If you play the game and make friends with everyone, you'll be just fine. Your success and enjoyment of the position really depends on your team, manager and who you interact with on a daily basis. It's a campus of 2,500 people, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't freak out about phone stats. Track your PSCs by their goal achievement and don't worry about whether it's coming by e-mail, IM or phone. Not all of our customers enjoy being interrupted by a phone call when they asked for an e-mail.

Champion of Management Churning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Swedesboro, NJ

ProsTD is really good at training employees. They have an excellent tutuition reimbursement program. They do a great job at following a succession planning program.

ConsThis is one company that specializes on manager churning. Instead, of working to develop they believe in throat slashing. This is really detremental to the associates and inhibits the change process or any process from moving forward.

Great place to work with limited growth in some areas.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsGreat culture and great work enviornment. The executive are very approachable and easy to work with while having high expectations. Great opportunities to broaden your skills and knowledge.

ConsLack of career advancement. In some departments there is no opportunity for advancement. Although they are aware of the problem nothing is done to create opportunities for high-potential employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote the career opportunities and announce internal promotions. For those areas with limited to no career advancement the management/executive team needs design career opportunities now to retain high potential employees.

Tech Data, good working environment limited opportunity

E-Marketing Data Coordinator (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsTech Data is generally a laid back place the workers are friendly. The building is conveniently located for most commuters.

ConsTech Data does not invest much in developing their employees. The pay is low even for Florida for most positions. The company did a salary survey, when the survey came back showing that the pay was low for the selected job titles they changed everyone's job title instead of increasing pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are assets not cost centers

Excellent company, staff and leadership team that delivers results and provides wonderful opportunities to grow

Long Tenured 19 Year Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsTech Data is a great company to work for and this stems from the culture that the executive team has grown. Each employee is empowered to do their best; with many employees starting at the bottom rung and progressing to high level positions within the organization. The culture starts with a passion for winning, teamwork, partnership, integrity and respect, communication and accountability. I have had numerous career opportunities throughout my tenure with the organization and Tech Data rewards those who achieve results.

The company has an excellent benefits package, career opportunities, over seas assignments if one is interested, lateral transfers as a means to learn something new, in-house training, education reimbursement and with the empowerment of the staff anything is possible if you work for it.

The senior management team is top notch and Tech Data exceeds in many categories as a great place to work. I am happy and proud to be an employee here!

ConsReally can not think of any specific grievance. Tech Data, it's employees, management team, customers, vendors and partners are all great to work with. Tech Data is a high volume environment, razor thin margins and operates in a tough marketplace - therefore some days are tough. But when you rise to the occasion, the company will reward you for performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! I would advise someone in management review some of the comments on Glassdoor - funny how some people have a different prespective of the same company. Everyone I work with in sales, marketing, customer service, IT, logistics, credit, finance and other groups are very tenured employees and absolutely love it at Tech Data.

Great place to start but not grow.

Vendor Programs Representative (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsGreat perks and free food. TD is a great company for recent college grads or individuals out of work. they do a great job getting people in using the internal Temp Agency "Spherion."

ConsAdvancement is solely based on what is written on paper, or who your smoking buddies are (literally). My manager is also non-existent and not very helpful with the advancement of my career. All the skills I have obtain on my own initiative and seeking my own training opportunities.
    Salaries are also not very competitive with the market

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers.
    CEO is almost no-existent other seeing him walking around rarely.

Beware of Logistics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsBenefits are ok, some good people there as far as coworkers.

ConsSlim chance of advancement, some mgt has their favorites and shows it openly, company does not show loyalty to low level employees, hr is no help at all, as one reviewer stated, be careful you will be eventually be ran over by a bus. somewhat of a good place to start but don't stay too long if no advancement. If the executives would really listen to lower level employees input this would be as great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives should really listen to lower level employees input on mid-level mgt. Show loyalty to long term employees, improve HR, let job rotation be optional, STOP promoting low level employees to mgt with no mgt exp or people skills. Promote based on job performance and longevity not based off being the mgts favorite person on the team. Respect, Respect Respect goes a long way. Let lower level employees decide what the CMI should be based off of mgt's performance this might improve how mid-level mgt treats their team.

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!