Tech Data

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky

Bob Dutkowsky

Pros:
  • "So far the company has held true to their promise of work/life balance for their hourly employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "no guidance or coaching from management on career advancement"
    in 3 reviews
  • "There is NEVER any compensation for the long hours you put in"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good company that could be great but currently isn't.

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data

Prosvery good training ground for a career in IT industry. largest company in the area. you can establish great contacts with both customers and vendors for furture opportunities.

Consvery low margin business forces a business model that is based on caution (ie: very structured, no risk taking) and a "do more with less" mentality.

Advice to Senior Managementget more engaged with their front-line employees, live a day in their shoes to see what they are really faced with and better understand the impacts of their executive decisions.

Not the worst place to work but nowhere near the best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data

ProsThe previous review hit the nail on the head. It's a paycheck. Big company, so you can always find people you like and enjoy working with. It's good if you like a monotonous workplace. A negative to some, to be sure, but it is nice to always know what you're going to get. There are very few surprises.

ConsFor some reason a decent percentage of lower and mid-level management seem to be poorly suited for the job. My manager was friendly and positive, but clueless as to how I did my job. The pay is okay, but opportunities for advancement aren't as plentiful or fairly rewarded as you'll be told in the interview.

There are A LOT of meetings and I swear I've been to meetings to discuss if there were too many meetings.

It's not a bad place to work, but it really is a gray cubicle environment and that wore on me over time. When I put in my two weeks I had about half to 75% of the people I work with admit they hated their jobs and couldn't wait to go somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for managers with a high quit rate below them. There's probably a reason.

If you cannot find a job anywhere else, this should be your last resort.

Product Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data

ProsIf you're right out of college it's a half way decent starting point; just one notch above an unpaid internship. Make sure you fluff up your resume since other companies in the area also view Tech Data as a entry level company. Other perks you can get from working in sales or marketing are some free products, event tickets and shirts. It is a paycheck albeit on the low end of a salary range for comparable positions at other companies.

ConsThere are many downsides to the company: low pay, unqualified management who have no sense of the industry or business in general for that matter. The only way Tech Data knows how to make money is to bilk their vendors out of marketing dollars by overcharging for activities, but then not following through with them. They embelish reports to make business look better than it is. I've been working in corporate America for over 20 years and this is the first company that I ever heard the phrase "throw you under the bus", and the only place I've ever experienced it. I think they pretty much coined the phrase. Mangement is so lacking in skills the only way they can make themselves seem taller is by cutting off the heads of their subordinates. They don't lead by example and many times there are feuds between director and director, manager and manager, etc. It sets the tone for the entire company. They are their own problem and it's keeping them from growing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and look to your competitors on how to operate better.

Tech Data-It's a job.

Salesperson (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data

ProsIt is a job and the paycheck never bounces. Some nice cuties working in the office. Not a bad place to start your career but it doesn't end here.… Covered Parking? Health Insurance. If you are a slacker you will love it here.

ConsIt is not a challenging environment what so ever. Senior MGT is disconnected from the worker bees. Long boring days in cubicle hell. Tech Data is a better place for talkers than for doers. .Very little in the way of growth or exciting new opportunities. Most people here hate coming into work and it just helps to create a negative environment in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up and reinvigorate this place. Get rid of the dead wood

Stable, steady, and productive

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data

ProsJob security is very high for IT sector, working environment is fair and friendly. My supervisory chain is highly qualified and values my contributions. My particular job is one that gives me great personal satisfaction, and I take pride in doing my job well for the benefit of my customers and the company. I have the autonomy to structure my day and working methodology to suit my skill set. My management is very accommodating of my needs in terms of work/life balance; I keep a very regular schedule, and I do not encounter difficulties when I need time off. The corporate culture is diverse, and ethically-based.

ConsJobs at Tech Data can be stressful, primarily due to the razor-thin margins of this industry (wholesale IT distribution); this forces the company to be conservative and thoughtful about any significant new undertakings, and staffing is thin for the workload; market and economic pressures are more difficult to weather in an industry of <2% operating income.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that many people that work at Tech Data may not realize what it's like "out there", in that other corporate cultures are significantly more rigid and arbitrary; and people don't realize how well they have it until they leave. Grass is greener, and all that. This is in evidence due to the number of people who leave, ostensibly for other opportunities, but then return to Tech Data when they discover that the real world is not very forgiving. I think that better communication about our competition, and about how Tech Data compares in terms of working enviornment compared to other employers might help mitigate any misperceptions.

Tech Data: Unless you're senior management already, why bother?

Receiving Associate (Former Employee)
South Bend, IN

I worked at Tech Data

ProsDecent place to work if you have little or no prior experience and need as much per hour as possible. Fairly recession proof it seems.

ConsLittle or no room for advancement, especially without a degree of some kind -- no matter what kind of experience you may have. Little to no incentive for best effort and/or high level of quality in your job. Keep your head down and work to the lowest possible expectation, and even then, if you've been there too long and make too much they will find a reason to replace you with someone who they can hire to work for less money than you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management is a farce. The company talks about high level of standard and working to people's best ability, but instead it seems like middle management wants to work people harder to make up for lack of quality.

Good experience and learning opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTouch with best in class tools and distribution business models

Constop management and compensation arbitrarity

Advice to Senior Managementconsider review the compensation arbitrarity

Could be much better

Paris (France)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearn a lot from a lot of vendors-Great networking-Get to be very organised and focused-Get to be flexible and versatile

ConsSubjective management - Very little if not no career plan

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being focused on keeping your chair and grow with your teams

Overall Very Positive, But Company Needs to Align With Customer Satisfaction

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than a year

Pros-Good support from senior leadership.
-I could develop my own innovative ideas which were heard and appreciated by senior leadership.
-Many experienced people who were willing to help.
-Positive, collaborative work environment.

Cons-Short-sighted. All that mattered were that quarters' results.
-Financially dominated and run, even though they say they are customer-focused.
-Too conservative and risk-averse, which made it difficult to run against more aggressive competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truly customer focused instead of just saying that that you are. Align executive bonuses to customer satisfaction, particularly those in non customer-facing roles such as Credit. Truly align every resource towards customer satisfaction, otherwise different departments will pull in different directions.

Tech Data company review

Profit Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfast & dynamic market
Fortune 100 company

Consno clear commercial strategy
no governance model

Advice to Senior Managementsetup commercial strategy, org chart, governance model

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tech Data reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tech Data CEO Bob Dutkowsky. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by Tech Data employees.